TV Home Forum

Challenge - June 2016 onwards

#ChallengeAccepted (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HC
Hatton Cross
I suspect the rights just got more expensive. Didn't Just a Minute gave a short TV run too?

The latter was the most authentic version, it was essentially just the radio show on TV.

The Carlton version was OK, but nothing more than that.

I loved the BBC Two 2012 version. They even made the backdrop to the set to look like the BH radio theater, even though it was recorded at TVC.
JB
JasonB
Some random YouTuber.

Pewdiepie.
TI
TIGHazard
Some random YouTuber.

Pewdiepie.

That may be worse than the Jedward edition of Never Mind the Buzzcocks.
GB
Gary Baldy
The Celebrity Millionaire series they’re currently showing is in a horrible 14:9 aspect ratio.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
The Celebrity Millionaire series they’re currently showing is in a horrible 14:9 aspect ratio.

A lot of Millionaire they show is 14:9 aside from the first series of the regular show which was 4:3. For some reason they don't seem to want to replace the 14:9 prints. Maybe they can't afford to, who knows?
GB
Gary Baldy

A lot of Millionaire they show is 14:9 aside from the first series of the regular show which was 4:3. For some reason they don't seem to want to replace the 14:9 prints. Maybe they can't afford to, who knows?

Most of the 90s eps are in 16:9 with Series 1 in 4:3- the later 12 question eps are also in 16:9.
JA
james-2001
Series 1-3 were made in 4:3, it went widescreen with series 4.

Sky don't seem to have replaced 14:9 copies of any shows from the Flextech/VMTV days, even the shows made by the channels themselves (i.e. the Dave Spikey Bullseye, Most Haunted) where Sky will surely have the 16:9 masters.
GB
Gary Baldy
Series 1-3 were made in 4:3, it went widescreen with series 4.

Sky don't seem to have replaced 14:9 copies of any shows from the Flextech/VMTV days, even the shows made by the channels themselves (i.e. the Dave Spikey Bullseye, Most Haunted) where Sky will surely have the 16:9 masters.

And then there’s the celeb eps usually in 14:9 for whatever reason.
JO
Johnr
They really lost their way towards the end with the live celebrity specials, it was rather mean for the celebs to be doing well for the charity only for the klaxon to go and ‘tough luck!’ (and I can’t quite remember but didn’t half the prize end up in the hands of a premium rate call and lose viewer?)

At least since the Clarkson revival if it’s the last show of the series and a contestant is still active at the end of the hour that can’t be trimmed down in the editing suite they record the extra and stick it on after the ITV news or in the case of the recent celebrity editions just extend the initial time slot to begin with
DeMarkay and Brekkie gave kudos
WO
Worzel
The current edition of Strike it Lucky seems to be going out in some strange letterbox format at the moment.
GM
Gary McEwan
The current edition of Strike it Lucky seems to be going out in some strange letterbox format at the moment.

They've also butchered going into and out of the breaks. The last time they showed this series they hadn't edited it. I really don't understand why they fell the need to edit something that really doesn't need it.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

They've also butchered going into and out of the breaks. The last time they showed this series they hadn't edited it. I really don't understand why they fell the need to edit something that really doesn't need it.

Sometimes the "Christmas Specials" of Strike It Lucky (which was almost always an otherwise normal episode but with Christmas decorations all over the place) had a longer running time, which Challenge used to shoe horn an extra break into. On those occasions they'd force the break and their own break caption, so "end of part one" didn't apply any more in those circumstances. For that it was understandable. Annoying but understandable.

But to do it for a show that was only ever half an hour and even to this day would have only had one ad break if it was made today in that format, it defies all logic. Strange, really strange.

Newer posts