« Topics
lhx1985248 posts since 23 Apr 2015
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

If he had to go downstairs to the newsroom, where the general public can see you, he should have worn something more appropriate. I'm not saying full suit and tie but something not as 'just got in from the gym.'

Your currently wearing a grey hoodie that's fine - unless I'm mistaken, your not sitting in the background of the BBC News Channel . But if your working in front of the public, you should dress smartly. You wouldn't expect to go shopping in Tesco and see the checkout staff wearing grey hoodies, would you?

If he was on the same side of the glass as the cameras then you may have a point. He wasn't, you don't and my point about perspective remains - describing a person's choice of attire as 'appalling' when they transited across the screen in the back of a shot for a couple of seconds is obvious hyperbole. When you see him there wearing a mankini I will agree with you - until then however, not so much.

As for the bizarre comparison with Tesco staff, Tesco mandates that their shop floor workers wear a uniform. Those workers have direct contact with the public. The BBC do not provide newsroom staff with a uniform and those staff will generally have no direct contact with the public. Personally, I wouldn't have any objections to a Tesco uniform having a hood attached. I don't think it would make the wearer of said uniform any more likely or less likely to provide a professional service.

It's all about how an organisation decides how it wants to present itself. The BBC has been on a journey to become less 'stuffy' and more 'relaxed' in its presentation for a while - from the shirt sleeves and gaudy shirts of the original BBC News 24 to real people dressed for a real office environment in the background of the modern-day newsroom.

You don't have to like it - but let's not get carried away.

It's 'you're', by the way.
Last edited by lhx1985 on 29 January 2020 2:57pm
Night Thoughts and Cusack gave kudos
Rich Tea618 posts since 16 Apr 2017
Anglia (West) Look East
If my boss told me "I’ve closed your post", I wouldn’t realise I’d just been fired.

Really? I most certainly would!

So five presenter positions are going. Who and where? Maybe one or more of those is going to be reporting their own job loss without realising if the names are yet to be decided, unless we are talking about that dreadful term "natural wastage" with retirement and leaving voluntarily without the position being filled again.
Inspector Sands14,308 posts since 25 Aug 2004
If my boss told me "I’ve closed your post", I wouldn’t realise I’d just been fired.

You wouldn't have been fired, you'd have been made redundant.

That's what redundancy is, it's not getting rid of a specific person, it's getting rid of a iob or reducing the number of people doing a job.

It's not being fired, there's a big difference
roo2,258 posts since 6 Aug 2003
London London
Cuts to the BBC clothing allowance obviously.

Never usually around to see it at this time of day but I caught the end of the 1pm bulletin and saw someone walking around the BBC newsroom behind Reeta in a grey hoodie. Quite a poor impression it made actually and I even mentioned it to the person with me here.

That's appalling. I understand it someone's arriving at work they may be in casual wear then get changed when they get in properly. But in my opinion, if your privileged enough to be in a job where you can walk around in the background of a national BBC News bulletin, you should be dressed appropriately.

i'll give you a shout first the next time i pop downstairs x
Worzel4,870 posts since 8 Jan 2008
Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
Could we finally see the day where the weekend duty news channel presenters cover all the BBC One bulletins?

Will be interesting to see if the reduction in presenters will result in the Six presenter staying on to cover the 8pm news channel hour and the Ten presenter covering the 11pm hour and papers? Surely that would create some savings in itself and would actually put some higher profile names on the News channel in the evenings at the same time (albeit Huw who already presents on there).
Rich Tea618 posts since 16 Apr 2017
Anglia (West) Look East

So five presenter positions are going. Who and where?

Doesn't sound like the BBC know yet:

There will be a review of the number of presenters we have and how they work

Perhaps they could have reviewed such things before the major announcement? It seems to me they will now manage to cultivate a very poor working environment regards the state of morale and a climate of fear with these unknowns. Although it likely already existed. I find that rather unimpressive as a strategy but hey I must be showing signs of extreme naivety in that case.

I bet overpaid and underworked management gets away mainly unscathed at the expense of those at the coalface. I'm sure we are going to be hearing plenty of comment in the open from disgruntled staff in the near future.
BM111,507 posts since 2 Jun 2017 Recently warned
London London

So five presenter positions are going. Who and where?

Doesn't sound like the BBC know yet:

There will be a review of the number of presenters we have and how they work

Perhaps they could have reviewed such things before the major announcement? It seems to me they will now manage to cultivate a very poor working environment regards the state of morale and a climate of fear with these unknowns. Although it likely already existed. I find that rather unimpressive as a strategy but hey I must be showing signs of extreme naivety in that case.

I bet overpaid and underworked management gets away mainly unscathed at the expense of those at the coalface. I'm sure we are going to be hearing plenty of comment in the open from disgruntled staff in the near future.

Hard to do a review in secrecy.
Markymark7,590 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today

It's all about how an organisation decides how it wants to present itself. The BBC has been on a journey to become less 'stuffy' and more 'relaxed' in its presentation for a while - from the shirt sleeves and gaudy shirts of the original BBC News 24 to real people dressed for a real office environment in the background of the modern-day newsroom.

In terms of presentation sometimes things jar. I spotted a cleaner one night in the background on the 10pm news, it looked a bit naff. It's still sort of the equivalent of a shop window, despite being in the background, so there needs to be a bit of thought about who and what wanders by I think.

Anyway, gives me a excuse to post this Cool
Rich Tea, Parker and 2 others
  • Anglialad
  • Night Thoughts
gave kudos