The Newsroom

BBC NEWS CUTS

Cuts reactivated - P43 onwards (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
Red Button Text has a stay of execution !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51295430
MA
Markymark
Announcement imminent and being live tweeted by VD:

Um, dress down Wednesday for Kamal !
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
OM
Omnipresent
This seems to be the key reform:

Also 450 job losses at BBC News and 50 at the World Service with cuts to 5Live jobs, Newsnight’s film budget and World Service English to also lose some programmes.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Those slides feel as though they were put together in a rush. Delivering information in a convoluted yet pedestrian manner.
OM
Omnipresent
A full press release has now been issued:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/news-modernisation
RN
Rolling News
Cuts to the BBC clothing allowance obviously.

Never usually around to see it at this time of day but I caught the end of the 1pm bulletin and saw someone walking around the BBC newsroom behind Reeta in a grey hoodie. Quite a poor impression it made actually and I even mentioned it to the person with me here.

That's appalling. I understand it someone's arriving at work they may be in casual wear then get changed when they get in properly. But in my opinion, if your privileged enough to be in a job where you can walk around in the background of a national BBC News bulletin, you should be dressed appropriately.
LH
lhx1985
It's not appalling. It would be appalling if he dropped his trousers and mooned in full view of the BBC News Channel, but he didn't.

He simply had the gall to walk around his place of work wearing casual attire - something which is commonplace in workplaces up and down the land in 2020. I am sat at my desk wearing a grey hoodie right now in actual fact.

It may not be to your taste, and that's fine. But let's keep things in perspective and not go overboard.
RN
Rolling News

So they're reducing the number of presenters? This is good as there's far too many on network and the News Channel for how few shifts there are now.
CU
Cusack
Cuts to the BBC clothing allowance obviously.

Never usually around to see it at this time of day but I caught the end of the 1pm bulletin and saw someone walking around the BBC newsroom behind Reeta in a grey hoodie. Quite a poor impression it made actually and I even mentioned it to the person with me here.

That's appalling. I understand it someone's arriving at work they may be in casual wear then get changed when they get in properly. But in my opinion, if your privileged enough to be in a job where you can walk around in the background of a national BBC News bulletin, you should be dressed appropriately.

I love how we are focusing on a grey hoodie and not the 500 or so jobs that are going.
Maybe the person in the hoodie is only there to find out if they have a job or not, and not actually on shift. Either way, it doesn't really matter.
RN
Rolling News
It's not appalling. It would be appalling if he dropped his trousers and mooned in full view of the BBC News Channel, but he didn't.

He simply had the gall to walk around his place of work wearing casual attire - something which is commonplace in workplaces up and down the land in 2020. I am sat at my desk wearing a grey hoodie right now in actual fact.

It may not be to your taste, and that's fine. But let's keep things in perspective and not go overboard.

I meant if he arrived at work wearing the hoodie, then fine. If he wanted to continue to wear it, he should have stayed in the top floor of Broadcasting House. If he had to go downstairs to the newsroom, where the general public can see you, he should have worn something more appropriate. I'm not saying full suit and tie but something not as 'just got in from the gym.'

Your currently wearing a grey hoodie that's fine - unless I'm mistaken, your not sitting in the background of the BBC News Channel . But if your working in front of the public, you should dress smartly. You wouldn't expect to go shopping in Tesco and see the checkout staff wearing grey hoodies, would you?
JW
JamesWorldNews
Forget the hoodie guy. 450 people have lost their jobs.

Newer posts