The Newsroom

The Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Thread

(August 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LS
Lou Scannon
The different iterations of Meridian's 6pm programme total 70 minutes, of which 40 minutes worth has to be pre-recorded.

- A single 30-min edition for the South East only.
- South Coast variant of the 6pm-6.10pm section.
- Thames Valley variant of the 6pm-6.10pm section.
- Pan-regional latter 20-minutes for the combined South Coast & Thames Valley sub-regions.

The late weeknight Meridian bulletin is 3 fully separate sub-regional editions.

Does Calendar still routinely only have a partially-split 6pm edition, with the latter "half"(ish) being pan-regional? Many regions have occasional ad-hoc forays into such pan-regionalism, but the standard arrangement would be fully split sub-regions.
FB
Fluffy Bunny Feet

Of course there isn't one sub-region that's always live and one that's always pre-recorded!

Maybe it's different in where you are but one prog is always live on Calendar - news dictates which show is recorded as it's a large area to get to locations. Often it's a full 30mins and sometimes the recorded version ends after the weather man had his 'show and tell' and joins the live prog for the end. All the other bulletins have a complete 'aslive' recording which is transmitted at the same time as the fully live one.
Last edited by Fluffy Bunny Feet on 27 January 2020 1:51pm
AN
Andrew Founding member
Yes I think they use Jon’s weather chat as the way to mop up any late or early running and get back on track, hence why it sometimes can be a bit rushed. Generally there is only one more story and then the actual weather, which is split anyway, that is within the pan regional section.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Yes elastic weather forecasts are a very long established technique to get a programme off air on time.
BR
Brekkie

Of course there isn't one sub-region that's always live and one that's always pre-recorded!

Maybe it's different in where you are but one prog is always live on Calendar - news dictates which show is recorded as it's a large area to get to locations. Often it's a full 30mins and sometimes the recorded version ends after the weather man had his 'show and tell' and joins the live prog for the end. All the other bulletins have a complete 'aslive' recording which is transmitted at the same time as the fully live one.

Do the pre-recorded shows avoid "Live" captions for crosses to reporters - and indeed do the live shows as well so it isn't obvious what day they're live and what day they're pre-recorded.

I know before OFCOM allowed the pre-records for a period Central had two studios in the one building broadcasting live. Was it the same for Calendar and Meridian too?
MW
Mike W

Do the pre-recorded shows avoid "Live" captions for crosses to reporters - and indeed do the live shows as well so it isn't obvious what day they're live and what day they're pre-recorded.

I know before OFCOM allowed the pre-records for a period Central had two studios in the one building broadcasting live. Was it the same for Calendar and Meridian too?

I think Meridian was covered when Thames Valley Tonight started or near its death.

Basically they had 3 (maybe 2) studios.

Central East moved into Gas Street in 2004 and the main studio where CNW and CITV Pres came from was split into two (when CNW and CNE both got the first iteration of the generic set, CNW's was the first on air and they also had the larger 'half' of the studio, so their set was always bigger than CNE (and I think bigger than the other installs that followed too)).
FB
Fluffy Bunny Feet

Calendar usually says 'so and so from' when it's recorded just like any other report so avoiding confusion with the viewer. The 'Live' strap is only used when it is.
FB
Fluffy Bunny Feet

Calendar yes. The original studio was split in two.

8 days later

ST
South Today
A rare outing for Harry on late duty this evening. Did Christa ever used to present the odd late bulletin? I suppose it would be rare as Ian White was always the late bulletin stalwart.
AN
Andrew Founding member
A rare outing for Harry on late duty this evening. Did Christa ever used to present the odd late bulletin? I suppose it would be rare as Ian White was always the late bulletin stalwart.

Yes regularly, after Ian White stopped presenting (which according to the archive was 2011) it was the norm for the male and female presenters to share the late bulletin, this went on for years until Harry reduced his role to just the main programme.
ST
South Today
Fully revised evening titles for Look North (Hull) this evening. Some rather impressive shots!
RA
radiolistener

Yes regularly, after Ian White stopped presenting (which according to the archive was 2011) it was the norm for the male and female presenters to share the late bulletin, this went on for years until Harry reduced his role to just the main programme.

For awhile I believe Christa and Harry broadcast on BBC Radio Leeds in the afternoons meaning they rarely featured on the lunchtime programme if C F was away.

Newer posts