The Newsroom

BBC Breakfast - 16th July onwards

Split from BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LS
Lou Scannon
The 'shoebox' studio does what is required. It works fine for a national breakfast show, a regional news bulletin and a Sunday regional political strand. It's also used for Inside Out NW where they utilise that much better than the crappy CSO backdrops in other regions.

I wish that other regions would also use their news sets for Inside Out, in preference to the ropey CSO. Here links could be presented from the sofa part of the Points West set, with the large projection screen showing an Inside Out logo.
JB
JexedBack
I wish they'd just move BBC Breakfast to the main sport set and be done with it.

We've seen it used for the Olympics and it looked pretty good. Lit in the breakfast colours and with the red sofa it would look 100 times better than the shoebox they're currently lumped with.

It’s not just about moving studios.
Production team logistics, I understand sport and news have different productions systems (while compatible of sorts, there’s lengthy transfers), different gallery technology, guest liaison and make up logistics.
It’s not just a case of moving a couple of presenters.
And while that sport set has the height, it’s smaller than the Breakfast/NWT one.
I also understand the sport set is managed and maintained by an outside production company so there would be an extra cost involved that the current one doesn’t have.

When Breakfast did use it, I thought it looked a bit dark and empty and the show missed the big screens.
BR
Brekkie
No issue there that couldn't be overcome. Indeed sharing guest liason and "make up logistics" surely makes safe in an era of cost-saving.
RN
Rolling News
To be honest, I know this is an unpopular opinion but I don't think the sports studio would suit Breakfast at all.
NE
Newsroom
I find it absolutely incredulous the only thing changing is that damn sofa!

It’s the country’s most watched and most loved breakfast show and that’s been the case for decades. The show has received the following since moving to Salford:

Background changed at a cost of peanuts, new titles and music and now a new sofa.

WAKE UP BBC - Give the programme the love and upgrade it deserves. I’m not sure I can stick another 4 years of a presenter team cricking their necks to turn to a live shot.

Absolutely ridiculous.
KA
Karl072
There’s nothing wrong with the BBC Breakfast studio/set. Still looks modern and is very practical. Anyway we shouldn’t all be so surprised as the BBC have always been scared to change things just like the old Breakfast set in London. Looked like something from the 90s even when they did do the odd change never looked presentable or easy on the eye. Current one looks good even after 8/9 years
JF
JF World News
Olympic Breakfast also had a brief hourly national summary as well in 2008 IIRC in addition to 'normal' Breakfast on BBC2.

Couldn't they do what BBC THree did and have News Summaries on the hour. Move The Briefing to BBC Four at 5am, Olympic Breakfast 6-9 on BBC One,
JK
JK08
WAKE UP BBC.

That's an idea! Scrap the whole thing and replace it with 'Wake Up BBC', with a huge set and a big-name presenter line-up.

I joke, but to be fair in 2016 Breakfast did look good from the Sport Centre, and it's certainly a lot more suited to the profile of the show than the NWT studio is.
paul_hadley, Ittr and BBI45 gave kudos
CU
Cusack
I find it absolutely incredulous the only thing changing is that damn sofa!

It’s the country’s most watched and most loved breakfast show and that’s been the case for decades. The show has received the following since moving to Salford:

Background changed at a cost of peanuts, new titles and music and now a new sofa.

WAKE UP BBC - Give the programme the love and upgrade it deserves. I’m not sure I can stick another 4 years of a presenter team cricking their necks to turn to a live shot.

Absolutely ridiculous.

There's an easy way to stop the presenter team cricking their necks and that is to have the presenter and interviewee side by side on screen. I've no idea why the fashion of having the presenter have their backs to viewers started while talking to someone on a screen, but it's terrible.
sjhoward and Spencer gave kudos
NE
Newsroom
The Sport set is on the ground floor, it's a SPORT set for heaven's sake, it's hardly worth the investment the BBC have clearly put into it for NC and NAT bulletins. it's actually outrageous.

Breakfast needs to move downstairs given it's the - #1 Breakfast show in the country. So what the production team are up a few levels?

It's beyond madness Sport has been given such a vast space when there are nearly never any guests. Football Focus, MOTD and other shows have their own studio - why the hell can't BREAKFAST, instead of being shoved in a regional shoebox studio with very little versatility.

If the BBC are banking on 'oh well, audience figures ain't changed, so why invest in a new set' - sadness!
Last edited by Newsroom on 29 January 2020 8:21am
JW
JamesWorldNews
The ‘vast’ space is not so vast in reality.
ST
Stuart
Nicely re-lit set this morning for a discussion about an Antarctic Expedition.

Newer posts