TV Home Forum

New BBC Local Radio jingles

Launched on Radio Leicester (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
While Three Counties was probably a better description, it does give some challenges to photographers (spoilered due to language some viewers may find offensive)

IS
Inspector Sands
I remember hearing it being called Radio Beds Herts and Bucks on air before the 3CR name.

Of course there was a 2 Counties Radio in Bournemouth, not sure which two counties that referred to though
LL
London Lite Founding member
I remember hearing it being called Radio Beds Herts and Bucks on air before the 3CR name.

Of course there was a 2 Counties Radio in Bournemouth, not sure which two counties that referred to though

Dorset and Hampshire.
WH
what
I have to say from listening to Radio Solent over the last few minutes, going from the very commercial sounding jingle to Paul Miller playing The Jam is very jarring. They really need to get their music policy sorted.
LL
London Lite Founding member
what posted:
I have to say from listening to Radio Solent over the last few minutes, going from the very commercial sounding jingle to Paul Miller playing The Jam is very jarring. They really need to get their music policy sorted.

With the split networking, listeners outside the Solent area would have still heard the Mcasso jingles on Kent, Sussex, Surrey, Berkshire and Oxford.

For such a cosy show as Paul's, the commercial radio style BBC jingles really do jar.
WH
what
what posted:

With the split networking, listeners outside the Solent area would have still heard the Mcasso jingles on Kent, Sussex, Surrey, Berkshire and Oxford.

For such a cosy show as Paul's, the commercial radio style BBC jingles really do jar.

I did compare with the TOTH on Berkshire - very seamless coverup.
PH
Philheybrookbay
Absolutely loving the new BBC Solent jingles but hope BBC Devon don't adopt this new package. Imagine the uproar it would cause...cue listeners switching off and letters of protest to MP's. Devon folk are a nice bunch, don't get me wrong, but so backward in so many ways...

Errrrrr- think you'll find as home to 2 cities, we're not as backward as youd stereotype us.

However Radio Devon does need a refresh. But listening to Radio Kernow, the current package fits in well. But with the impact coming Pirate FM later this year, I'd guess that's the time Cornwall and Devon will get the refresh

Depends which part of Devon you're looking at. Some parts definitely are a bit backward, but others like Plymouth and Exeter are definitely way more metropolitan.

Radio Devon needs some wholesale change if it is to justify its continued existence. It's down to 164,000 reach in a market that's over a million strong, and they really are losing ground badly, especially when compared to their neighbour Radio Cornwall who have a 25% reach in their market compared to just 16%.

Dont forget the radio market in Cornwall is much less congested compared to Devon. Theres 3 main stations Heart, Pirate and Radio Cornwall plus some small community stations.

Devon has the same 3 (we get Pirate very clearly in Plymouth for example), but we have Radio Plymouth which does very well, as well as Radio Exe which I imagine does well in Exeter.

Problem with Radio Devon is that its stuck between a rock and a hard place. It takes the more mature reach but theres little for people like me in my mid 40s.
MA
Markymark

Dorset and Hampshire.

In the same vein there was County Sound's opt station for Haslemere that was called Delta Radio because the three counties (Surrey, Hampshire, and West Sussex) all meet there
London Lite and Inspector Sands gave kudos
CI
cityprod

Errrrrr- think you'll find as home to 2 cities, we're not as backward as youd stereotype us.

However Radio Devon does need a refresh. But listening to Radio Kernow, the current package fits in well. But with the impact coming Pirate FM later this year, I'd guess that's the time Cornwall and Devon will get the refresh

Depends which part of Devon you're looking at. Some parts definitely are a bit backward, but others like Plymouth and Exeter are definitely way more metropolitan.

Radio Devon needs some wholesale change if it is to justify its continued existence. It's down to 164,000 reach in a market that's over a million strong, and they really are losing ground badly, especially when compared to their neighbour Radio Cornwall who have a 25% reach in their market compared to just 16%.

Dont forget the radio market in Cornwall is much less congested compared to Devon. Theres 3 main stations Heart, Pirate and Radio Cornwall plus some small community stations.

Devon has the same 3 (we get Pirate very clearly in Plymouth for example), but we have Radio Plymouth which does very well, as well as Radio Exe which I imagine does well in Exeter.

Problem with Radio Devon is that its stuck between a rock and a hard place. It takes the more mature reach but theres little for people like me in my mid 40s.

Actually if you compare Devon & Cornwall radio wise, both have a similar number of stations available on DAB, and most of them are exactly the same. Both have a similar number of community stations on FM, and both have traditionally been seen as kinda radio backwaters.

Right now in Cornwall, you have Goldmine DAB added into the local mix, alongside community stations Radio Scilly, Coast FM, Source FM, CHBN and RSAB, alongside BBC Radio Cornwall, Heart & Pirate FM. In Devon, There's Radio Plymouth, Radio Exe, BBC Radio Devon, Heart, The Breeze South Devon, along with community stations Cross Rhythms, Soundart Radio, Exmouth Air, Phonic FM & The Voice North Devon. There's a lot of competition for that local advertising money right now, and for listeners attentions, and that's what makes it such an interesting time in radio.

Radio Devon's problem however is much more straight forward. Back along a number of BBC locals decided to start going after a somewhat younger audience than the traditional 50+ demographic that had been in place since 1992. Radio Devon was a late entrant in that field, but go that route they did and it's cost them listeners, because they really didn't know how to appeal to a slightly younger demographic, and they've alienated some of their core audience as a result. They really do need to get back to basics there and do the simple stuff better than Heart or Radio Plymouth or The Breeze or Radio Exe do, in terms of both content and music.
DR
DorsetRazed
Incidentally, Dorset FM (as it was originally known) was an opt-out from BBC Radio Devon until it merged with BBC Radio Solent.
MA
Markymark
Incidentally, Dorset FM (as it was originally known) was an opt-out from BBC Radio Devon until it merged with BBC Radio Solent.

Yes, it was. It made more sense for West Dorset, due to most TV viewers being served from the South West TV regions. If West Dorset ever gets a local DAB mux, it'll be an extension of the East Devon (aka Exeter/Torbay) mux, rather than the Dorset (aka Bournemouth) mux, that only reaches as far west as Abbotsbury.

Dorset has always been a bit of a dogs breakfast as far as broadcasting regions are concerned.
JM
JustMatt
Talking of BBC Radio Devon, they have an odd set of news ramps, here is one version

'The sound of Devon' https://gofile.io/?c=m3DCXj

PS: I did sign up to the upload service, but I have never had the activation email.

Newer posts