TV Home Forum

Classic Emmerdale

(January 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
robrymond
Rachel aged about ten years once she chopped her hair. Hideous choice of clothing too even for the 90s.
JA
james-2001
Today's second episode was Annie's final episode as a regular. She returns briefly in 1995, 96 and 2009, but that's it. We see Joe's final episode next week too, two original characters and actors gone in a flash. Amos only has a couple more brief stints as well. Only a single digit number of episodes remaining for all three.

I guess it's fitting that we see the first Dingle next week. The next major family appearing on the show as the original central family is drifting away.
BS
Ben Shatliff
Today's second episode was Annie's final episode as a regular. She returns briefly in 1995, 96 and 2009, but that's it. We see Joe's final episode next week too, two original characters and actors gone in a flash. Amos only has a couple more brief stints as well. Only a single digit number of episodes remaining for all three.

I guess it's fitting that we see the first Dingle next week. The next major family appearing on the show as the original central family is drifting away.

I thought Annie and Joe left together initially in 1994. Although as I previously stated; Sheila Mercier’s departure was kept very low key.
JA
james-2001
Looks like Thursday 30th is the Crossover point- we get the 13/9/94 edition of Emmerdale, and the 12 & 14/9/94 editions of Corrie that day, then Emmerdale pulls ahead after that.
NB
NicB1971
With a soap connection, the cowardly lion is a dead ringer for Leslie Schofield, who's been in several soap roles over the years Razz

Or Andy Devine who played Shadrack Dingle Very Happy
BS
Ben Shatliff

I thought Annie and Joe left together initially in 1994. Although as I previously stated; Sheila Mercier’s departure was kept very low key.

It looks like I was wrong in both of my thoughts on this.
P0
p0ab2
Has the episode where Kathy and Rachel take Chris swimming been on yet? From memory that was the turning point in Chris moving from Kathy to Rachel.
BS
Ben Shatliff
p0ab2 posted:
Has the episode where Kathy and Rachel take Chris swimming been on yet? From memory that was the turning point in Chris moving from Kathy to Rachel.

I can’t answer that to be honest as I stopped watching a couple of weeks after the Plane Crash aired. I found the programme had changed.
JA
james-2001
Final appearance of the original Sarah today, first ever Dingle appearance tomorrow. Last episode for Joe on Friday.
SC
Si-Co
Final appearance of the original Sarah today, first ever Dingle appearance tomorrow. Last episode for Joe on Friday.

I had forgotten Joe left in 94, shortly after Annie’s last regular appearance. I assume he doesn’t return in 95? For some reason I thought the character had been on-screen shortly before his death.
JA
james-2001
Joe does return in 95. In a coffin.
NB
NicB1971

Sad that Madeleine Howard decided to quit the series as I felt she was much better in the role than Alyson Spiro and more believable. Madeleine had become disillusioned with the negative storylines in the preceding months and her appearances on screen had been scaled back. I was surprised they replaced the actress rather than kill her off - which would have been in keeping with the way the producers were carrying on at that time. They could have replaced Shirley's character with that of Sarah's in the Home Farm siege and Jack would have been seen struggling with the farm and bringing up a baby single-handedly.

I seem to remember that Frazer Hines was also unhappy with the way his character had become almost irrelevant and been altered to become depressed and negative after the plane crash and the siege - I'm sure there was a hint in 1995 that his death in Spain in the car crash may not have been an accident and that he had taken his life. It was a shoddy exit for someone who had been a major character since 1972 and I felt it was totally unnecessary. He could have been brought back with a storyline that dovetailed into Norman Bowler's decision to quit and the producers need not have turned Kim into her evil doppelganger with a stupid plotline about faked deaths and accelerating Frank's demise.

The series has had to endure some pathetic stories (and actors) in recent years. ITV have become lazy by allowing it and Coronation Street to drift into 6+ episodes and silly explosive plots building up every few months that fizzle out in a whimper, e.g. Graham's exit, almost rehashing "Who Killed Tom King?". Rolling Eyes

Newer posts