TV Home Forum

New BBC Local Radio jingles

Launched on Radio Leicester (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CI
cityprod
We've already had 'The Sound of Surrey and North East Hampshire' in my area, which was in the late Southern Counties era just before it became BBC Surrey.

Well as any jingle fan knows 'Surrey and North East Hampshire is a special kind of place'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n34zuA8rAxo

The Image promo song from JAM Creative Production's Yours Truly package. Not a surprise really as their sister station Pirate FM used the City promo song from the same package for their launch jingle package.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Quote:

You might be thinking of Radio York which did actually rebrand briefly as BBC North Yorkshire. The story goes that they did this without consulting anyone at a higher level in the BBC. Apparently the head of regions was driving in the area and wasn't best pleased when he tuned in to discover that the station name had been changed without his knowledge.

The whole station wasn’t rebranded, they launched a split breakfast show, with Radio York Breakfast covering mainly urban ‘Greater’ York and BBC North Yorkshire the more rural part of their big county patch.

I think they also used split jingles and split news bulletins for the rest of the day too
JV
James Vertigan Founding member

The Image promo song from JAM Creative Production's Yours Truly package. Not a surprise really as their sister station Pirate FM used the City promo song from the same package for their launch jingle package.

All together now...
IS
Inspector Sands
Yes, it just amuses me (as someone who knows both areas well) that they thought they'd reuse the tune on their new station when there's a lot less of interest to sing about... and a less defined service area (even with the 'West Devon' caveat at the end)
SP
Spencer
BBC Coventry & Warwickshire to revert to CWR name

That should fit the new jingles a bit better. Wink
JO
Jon
A bit odd their drive time show is being branded ‘The Cov Show’ considering the station additionally covers a whole county.
Rijowhi, Lou Scannon and Spencer gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
BBC Radio Solent has the new package from today. I dipped into the station output earlier and it's safe to say that the commercial competition has nothing to worry about.
MA
Markymark
BBC Radio Solent has the new package from today. I dipped into the station output earlier and it's safe to say that the commercial competition has nothing to worry about.

No change there then in 45 years
LL
London Lite Founding member

No change there then in 45 years

Dipped in again and they were doing a guess the theme tune competition. Pensioner gets the answer right and then the presenter plays other versions of the The Pink Panther to fill the time, followed by a 70s song. Scintillating stuff.
JA
james-2001
Does anyone but pensioners listen to BBC local radio? It's in the state Radio 2 was in the late 80s/early 90s.
Last edited by james-2001 on 20 January 2020 2:51pm
MA
Markymark
Does anyone but pensioners listen to BBC local radio? It's in the state Radio 2 was in the late 80s/early 90s.

I can remember my grandmother trying Solent in 1972 for one day. 'It's a bit rubbish', she said, and went back to Radio 2 for the rest of her life.
reubz and Night Thoughts gave kudos
JA
JAS84
Jon posted:
A bit odd their drive time show is being branded ‘The Cov Show’ considering the station additionally covers a whole county.
Calling it the Cov & War Show would make it sound military though, so I can understand why a shorthand for Warwickshire was omitted.

Newer posts