TV Home Forum

The Late Late Gay Byrne Irish Television Thread

Irish TV legend passes away

TV
TVLand UTV Newsline
With the changes in ITV Daytime shows this past week, I wonder would that have affected VM channels in Ireland if they still carried ITV daytime shows?

Does anyone know if all ITV Daytime shows were simulcast on VM (I assume GMB was never simulcast).

Thanks

Good Morning Britain and Lorraine were simulcast on UTV Ireland from the start of 2016 until the channels takeover by TV3 in 2017. Good Morning Britain and Lorraine did not continue to be simulcasted on any of TV3’s channels.

When TV3 refreshed in January 2017 after the UTV Ireland takeover, the channel started to simulcast This Morning with Loose Women being simulcasted on 3e.

When Virgin Media Television came about in August 2018, it remained the same.

Of course all of them have been axed from VMTV in Ireland after their daytime schedule reshuffle in October of last year, in favour of Ireland AM, Elaine and Live at 12.
TI
tightrope78 UTV Newsline
News Special on RTE News Now (and on the RTE website) as Taoiseach Leo Varadkar calls a General Election for Saturday 8 February.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0114/1107299-election-announcement-tracker/
TV
TVLand UTV Newsline
Virgin Media News at 5:30 coming from Leinster House with special titles and graphics after Leo Varadkar announced Election 2020 today. Bulletin is also airing with a ticker which is normally exclusive to the News at 8:00.

Geraldine Lynagh is in studio with the rest of the days news.
Last edited by TVLand on 14 January 2020 5:45pm
TV
TVLand UTV Newsline
Virgin Media Television’s Election 2020 Coverage 🗳
Pat Kenny will present Virgin Media’s leaders debate with leaders from all parties invited to take part (date unknown)
Colette Fitzpatrick will be interviewing every party leader individually live on the News at 5:30 over the course of the 3 week long campaign.
Political Correspondent Gavin Reilly will analyse the events from the campaign trail each day.
Economics Correspondent Paul Colgan will be running a “Fact Check” series, where he will be factchecking everything claimed by party leaders throughout the campaign.
Zara King will be behind a “Real Life” series where she will travel around the country chatting with people from all walks of life about how issues caused by the current Dáil has affected them and their families.

4 reporters are assigned to track the 4 main political parties:
Richard Chambers - Fine Gael
Ruairi Carroll - Fianna Fáil
Paul Quinn - Sinn Féin
Deborah Naylor - The Green Party

It seems as if Virgin Media Television has had there coverage planned for quite a while, as new graphics and titles debuted on the News at 5:30 today and a new promo is already airing.

LL
London Lite Founding member London London
I know the VM2 News on Two bulletin at 10pm has been dumped presumably because of Love Island, but they may want to reconsider that decision and bring it back regardless. The Two bulletin is always the first to be dumped due to football or an ITV 'event'
JK
JKDerry UTV Newsline
Why do they bother with news on VM Two when they know it will be dumped at a regular rate?
TV
TVLand UTV Newsline
I know the VM2 News on Two bulletin at 10pm has been dumped presumably because of Love Island, but they may want to reconsider that decision and bring it back regardless. The Two bulletin is always the first to be dumped due to football or an ITV 'event'

The VM News on Two was dumped before love island started, and Love Island is airing on Virgin Media One this year so the News on Two wouldn’t be affected.
LL
London Lite Founding member London London

The VM News on Two was dumped before love island started, and Love Island is airing on Virgin Media One this year so the News on Two wouldn’t be affected.

It makes no difference, football, I'm a Celeb or Love Island being on V1. They dump the 10 regardless when VM1 has the 'big' shows on, despite the news being on a different channel.
JB
JBie World News
I thought it had something to do with them having separate licences for their three stations. That's why they had to provide a news service on Be3/VM3 when they bought it from UTV; the terms of UTV's licence still applied.
Last edited by JBie on 16 January 2020 12:54pm
Jeffmister, gottago and Brekkie gave kudos
TV
TVLand UTV Newsline
Winning Streak’s €500,000 jackpot was won for the first time since 2011 last night.
BK
bkman1990 UTV Newsline
I was watching the replay of that huge win today. I missed the 1st 20 minutes of it but well done to Michelle for getting the jackpot on the big wheel. It is a wonderful start to 2020 for her family. But I think not all of it is going to her isn't it? The contestant's name on the ticket was named as from Mairead Cox instead of Michelle. I assume Michelle here would be Mairead's daughter who won the prize?

Either way; this win is a huge profile boost to Winning Streak as it celebrates it's 30 anniversary on RTÉ One. I have seen a lot of big €100,000 wins on the big wheel on certain weeks near the end of last year which were great to see as a casual viewer. But this huge win last night is just absolutely brilliant in keeping the longevity of the show intact IMO. I think the amount of viewers each week & sales of the scratchcards for this show in particular will have a huge increase in popularity for the rest of the year because of it.
Last edited by bkman1990 on 19 January 2020 7:21pm - 2 times in total
BK
bkman1990 UTV Newsline
RTÉ One have an archive showing of Bibi Baskin with the late Larry Gogan on now as a tribute to his recent passing. The quality of the archive show tonight is fantastic. It's a pity the government or the BAI cannot allow RTÉ to have an RTÉ Plus/RTÉ Three channel up on air to make the TV Licence a little bit more worthwhile to the licence payers in Ireland.

Newer posts