« Topics
Juicy Joe1,553 posts since 25 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
Those old new graphics are better then the current graphics, takes up less space on screen Smile

I saw this live this afternoon and thought they were a marked improvement especially as the ticker had been reinstated and the wording easier to read against the grey background. Then...Reith returned.
Owen_ploc, ittrgrey and harshy gave kudos
Owen_ploc142 posts since 11 Jun 2019
BBC World News
Here's the full bulletin from BBC One's end in HD (no logo/ticker though):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_VD03AB2Mo

Worth noting that on the closing sting on the News Channel, the 2013 box was displayed near the end, whilst on BBC One, no logo could be spotted. I usually watch the weekend bulletins via the News Channel though, so I don't know if the logoless end sting on BBC One is normal, if someone can confirm?

No, it's not.
I can’t think of a good signature.
Oi, TVForum Discord server when /sarcasm
ittrgrey380 posts since 30 Sep 2017
I saw this live this afternoon and thought they were a marked improvement especially as the ticker had been reinstated and the wording easier to read against the grey background. Then...Reith returned.

The ticker was actually grey (except for breaking news when it turned red) back in the 2008 N6 days Smile

This time I suppose it was to do with configuration changes as opposed to being intentionally selected, however. Or, another guess is that what we saw today is a backup package should the Reith graphics fail, but one wonders why they would still use the Gill Sans logo, if this were the case (unless it's because it requires less resources somehow).
peterrocket1,423 posts since 5 Sep 2001
Those old new graphics are better then the current graphics, takes up less space on screen Smile

Obit rehearsal and someone forgot to load them back after testing? There were no animations, everything black / grey so weren't the usual old style.
BBI45 and ittrgrey gave kudos
ittrgrey380 posts since 30 Sep 2017
Obit rehearsal and someone forgot to load them back after testing? There were no animations, everything black / grey so weren't the usual old style.

Although, the logo and ticker did animate in and out as they used to, but the logo was a few seconds behind the ticker in terms of animating off screen.
Last edited by ittrgrey on 19 January 2020 5:57pm
bilky asko5,634 posts since 9 Sep 2006
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

Nonsense.
trivialmatters589 posts since 15 Jan 2007

Nonsense.

Not nonsense. They look like Category 1 obit graphics. Just a mistake.
BBI45 gave kudos
Rkolsen3,075 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World News

Nonsense.

Do tell. They re-skinned a package for death coverage? What breaking news red is considered poor taste?
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
chris4,296 posts since 6 Jul 2005
Granada North West Today

Nonsense.

Do tell. They re-skinned a package for death coverage? What breaking news red is considered poor taste?

Yes it’s very common to re-colour for a royal death. See coverage of the Queen Mother: red turned to black.

But I’d be surprised if that’s the reason this hitch happened - why would they still be using old graphics / the Gill Sans logo for obits?
dosxuk4,390 posts since 22 Oct 2005
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

Yes it’s very common to re-colour for a royal death. See coverage of the Queen Mother: red turned to black.

But I’d be surprised if that’s the reason this hitch happened - why would they still be using old graphics / the Gill Sans logo for obits?

Well clearly the wrong package was loaded for that bulletin, but what makes it interesting to me is that it's not a package we've seen before with those colours. I don't doubt that it was purely accidental it was loaded, but I'd love to know why it even existed.

Obviously this discounts the (very real) possiblity that it was just the old graphics, and old metadata has been removed from whatever drives the graphics so it appears with the wrong colours, text missing and so on.

And for those suggesting it might be a backup graphics package, again I ask why would the backup look completely different to the normal look - we're not talking slightly different kerning and no animation (e.g. rendered as stills on a computer), this is a completely different look, running off the same hardware with the same automation as the normal graphics. That's no backup, that's a mistake.
bilky asko gave kudos
JamesWorldNews8,650 posts since 22 Aug 2004
STV Central BBC World News
Happy Anniversary, 1, 6 and 10. Relaunched on this day seventeen years ago. And, as pointed out by both TvLive and MediaBoy on Twitter, the programmes launched with a new presenter line-up:

• Anna Ford
• George Alagiah and Sophie Raworth
• Huw Edwards

Feels like only yesterday.......
@JamesWorldNews | Formerly BBC WORLD
Owen_ploc, Juicy Joe and watchingtv gave kudos
bilky asko5,634 posts since 9 Sep 2006
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

Nonsense.

So you're guessing?

Obviously this discounts the (very real) possiblity that it was just the old graphics, and old metadata has been removed from whatever drives the graphics so it appears with the wrong colours, text missing and so on.

This seems far more likely to me than it being an obituary graphics package.