TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
Wasn't the big issue with UTV that they forcibly opted out of GMTV to cover the Good Friday agreement signing - so whatever system they had at that point could be manually overridden against GMTV's wishes.

No it was earlier than that, it was in 1994 when news broke of the loyalist ceasefire.

UTV's coverage apparently ran over a GMTV ad break which is what inflamed things so much. It was a clear breach of contract so UTV were ditched pretty quickly in favour of Reuters with whom GMTV already had a relationship.
RO
robertclark125
Quick glimpse on Eurosport, now, of a VT clock for the BDO darts titles, then within a couple of seconds, the Eurosport Technical Fault holding slide, before heading back to the BDO darts.
BR
Brekkie
The technical fault would be more entertaining.
Curto21, itvblocks and plymouthbloke1974 gave kudos
IT
itvblocks

CITV fails to materialize here.
Larry the Loafer and Jacq gave kudos
CU
Curto21
Quest had a breakdown tonight at 22:20 when the adverts during the efl on quest failed to play.
Then we had a still break bumper for around a minute before the breakdown caption came up.
This lasted the rest of the duration of the break before going back to the programme.
The host acknowledged the breakdown blaming it on his 2 guests.

I will upload a picture of this breakdown on Sunday or Monday.
RO
robertclark125
Quest's sister channel in the Discovery family, Eurosport 2, had a loss of sound for a couple of minutes, during the luge world cup race in Lilliehammer this morning. It was with just 4 sliders to go, and Eurosport did put a caption up apologising for the loss of sound. It did return, but the commentary was quite quiet.
BR
Brekkie
If anything Eurosport would be Quest's uncle, so I guess Eurosport 2 is probably a cousin.

13 days later

JI
jimbomed
This may not be the right place to ask this but when I was a kid I remember seeing a caption when there was a breakdown in transmission (on ITV I think) in the 1970s. It was a cartoon drawing (monochrome or brown and white?) of a rabbit/hare turning round whilst sitting on a chair with the text apologising for the breakdown. For whatever reason it used to scare the heck out of me and I even remember it working its way into my childhood nightmares! I've tried to find it on the internet but to no avail and am beginning to think that I imagined it, so if anyone can put me out of my misery.....thanks!
MD
MrDexB
This may not be the right place to ask this but when I was a kid I remember seeing a caption when there was a breakdown in transmission (on ITV I think) in the 1970s. It was a cartoon drawing (monochrome or brown and white?) of a rabbit/hare turning round whilst sitting on a chair with the text apologising for the breakdown. For whatever reason it used to scare the heck out of me and I even remember it working its way into my childhood nightmares! I've tried to find it on the internet but to no avail and am beginning to think that I imagined it, so if anyone can put me out of my misery.....thanks!

I personally think it's fine to talk about these fears. I used to get scared as a child by BBC2's Predator idents and Shivra from ITV's Powergen idents.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
There are no end of TV idents over the years that freak the crap out of people. Like this for example which is as freaky as hell:

Apparently looked better in 405 line than 625, so God help us what HD would look like...
JA
james-2001
We can get someone to scan the film in HD and find out!
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Plenty of people found the clown doll on Test Card F scary, and the Yorkshire ident for some reason.

I remember setting up a plasma screen at work as part of a digital signage system, and being me I was using a downloaded jpeg of TCF (about 10 years ago) and more than one person commented on the "scary clown".

Newer posts