TV Home Forum

New Sky channels: Crime, Comedy, Documentaries, Nature

Sky Documentaries, History and Nature now launched (August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Practically all channels have double or triple bills in the daytime now, I’m not sure that’s a surprise.

I never understand why people always post the first day schedule of a new channel and then write it off based on that. You’re never going to be sitting there watching it all day.

If its anything like most channel blocks of three the later sessions will be the same ones that aired earlier in the day.

With regards to "classic comedies from the 70s/80s/90s", presuming PFMC84 refers to American comedies since the rest of the schedule posted is full of imports, presume they mean things like Cheers, Diff'rent Strokes, Taxi, Married with Children and stuff like that? The Paramount Channel of old used to air this sort of stuff but a lot of it vanished when Paramount started morphing into Comedy Central.
GO
gottago
Guarantee the late night chat shows will be gone within a year.
PF
PFML84
I posted the first day schedule as that is supposed to be their big launch schedule, and what do they launch with? A new episode of one show, and repeats of repeats surrounding it. It's obviously not something you'll sit and watch all day, but with that launch line-up, it's not even something I'd want to sit and watch for the evening.
NJ
I posted the first day schedule as that is supposed to be their big launch schedule, and what do they launch with? A new episode of one show, and repeats of repeats surrounding it. It's obviously not something you'll sit and watch all day, but with that launch line-up, it's not even something I'd want to sit and watch for the evening.

So don't watch it then. Simples.
The last real big high profile launch schedule probably happened on the 30th of March 1997. Since then channels launch and fold every day and often have sod all high profile to launch with.
JF
JetixFann450
I do still believe there would be an audience who'd want to watch the channel. I mean, most of the audience who watch John Oliver's channel at least are on another channel which can't be confused with the same channel's programming that had a big HBO show with dragons and... you get the idea.

Still don't see any point in showing Sky News documentaries on Sky Atlantic. Everyone recieves Sky News, why promote it on a channel which only revolves around US drama and only airs on Sky's main platforms?
AJ
AJ
Still don't see any point in showing Sky News documentaries on Sky Atlantic. Everyone recieves Sky News, why promote it on a channel which only revolves around US drama and only airs on Sky's main platforms?

EPG positioning. And it's likely that showing them on Sky Atlantic will bring in viewers who otherwise wouldn't have watched on Sky News itself.
DJ
DJGM
If they're showing The Late Late Show With Corden it'd make sense to have The Late Show With Stephen Colbert on before that rather than The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.
HC
Hatton Cross
Yes but, Colbert is a CBS show. Fallon is NBC, so part of the same ownership. What's the 'lag' going to be with the US late night chat shows? Next day UK transmission?
VM
VMPhil
DJGM posted:
If they're showing The Late Late Show With Corden it'd make sense to have The Late Show With Stephen Colbert on before that rather than The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.

Not really. Fallon and Corden’s shows are both more entertainment/showbiz focused than the more political comedy of Colbert or the likes of Seth Meyers. A lot of that is lost on a UK audience and historically hasn’t rated well. Not that any US late night shows have ever rated well, but still.
BR
Brekkie
So the US chat shows getting another scheduled slot on a channel. Let's see how long that lasts this time.

Do Sky channels usually carry teleshopping?
NJ
So the US chat shows getting another scheduled slot on a channel. Let's see how long that lasts this time.

Do Sky channels usually carry teleshopping?

Challenge does now. Never used to but now does.
Sky Two also shows Teleshopping.
TI
TIGHazard
Yes but, Colbert is a CBS show. Fallon is NBC, so part of the same ownership. What's the 'lag' going to be with the US late night chat shows? Next day UK transmission?

I think the point is that Corden is CBS, so it makes sense that they would take Colbert as well instead of Fallon.

Does Sky have any stake in Corden's show? There's certainly been clips from the League of their Own Road Trips used as part of the Late Late. One I've seen is them doing NFL field goals.

Here's it from the late late show

and there isn't a clip from league of their own online but someone recorded it at the game and you can tell it's Jack Whitehall and Freddie Flintoff with him

Newer posts