TV Home Forum

Obscure Sky News Nighttime Presenters

(September 2003)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
Who on earth is that women on now (12:06am, 29/9/2003)?

She looks like the secret lovechild of Darth Vader and Maralyn Manson.

Why do Sky seem to have these unusual people on during the night? Do they have a trainee programme where they are trying to find new talent or what? You sometimes see regulars Watkins, and the other chap with the ginger hair, but more often than not, it's comebody random (usually from an ITV1 Regional News programme)
LO
Londoner
Mai Davies of ITV1 Wales, formerly of TVS and Meridian:

www.continuity-booth.co.uk/davies.html
WH
Whataday Founding member
Mai Davies is a lovely person and I won't have a bad word said about her, especially from fake aristocracy.
CH
chromakey123
Obscure.... is that really the word you mean?

COLLINS DICTIONARY: Obscure: unclear or abstruse. vague. hidden. inconspicuous. secret. remote.
A former member
We could bicker about semantics all day, however they are obscure as far as they come from little known regional programmes, suddenly presenting the over night shift on Sky News. Like I said, it seems like Sky use the overnights to test people out, rather than to use established talent.

Whataday, although I can understand your emotional attachment to this newsreader, I feel that a pasty white complexion with Boots Extra Dark Black number 54 hair colour doesn't work well on television. Obviously I apologise if this observation has caused you any undue distress or anxiety
A former member
I watched her for 10 minutes, thought she was fine ...
A former member
Lord Wellington seems to be approaching this from an assumption that all regional presenters are in some way inferior -- but I would remind him that a large of high-profile presenters currently doing the rounds started out on regional TV.

I haven't seen this presenter, but do know that longstanding Tyne Tees freelancer Jonathan Morrell has been doing the overnight rounds on Sky recently, and he has been well received.

In any case, why put your high-profile presenters on the graveyard shift (thereby knocking them out on prime-time) when freelancers do a perfectly good job?
A former member
jason posted:
Lord Wellington seems to be approaching this from an assumption that all regional presenters are in some way inferior -- but I would remind him that a large of high-profile presenters currently doing the rounds started out on regional TV.
Or the other way round - Calendar's Mike Morris is from TV-am, and Duncan Wood is from TV-am's successor GMTV.
NW
nwtv2003
Digifiend posted:
jason posted:
Or the other way round - Calendar's Mike Morris is from TV-am, and Duncan Wood is from TV-am's successor GMTV.

I feel sorry for Gordon Burns, going from presenting a successful ITV Quiz show; The Krypton Factor, to presenting North West Tonight, though he is good at it is just a shame it went that way.

Slightly OT; But who was the presenter on London Today at Lunchtime? He wasn't that good, he was always slipping up.
A former member
Digifiend posted:
jason posted:

Weeeeelll, I'm not sure about Mike Morris (I seem to recall he started at ATV or something in the 1970s) but Duncan Wood comes from the North East and worked at Tyne Tees on the sports desk for a long time in the 1980s and 90s -- he only went to GMTV when he failed to get a permanent job as a presenter on Tyne Tees Today in 1994 (Andrew Friend, who still works at TTTV, got the job instead).
A former member
nwtv2003 posted:
Digifiend posted:
jason posted:

I feel sorry for Gordon Burns, going from presenting a successful ITV Quiz show; The Krypton Factor, to presenting North West Tonight, though he is good at it is just a shame it went that way.

Didn't Burns start out many moons ago in the b&w-era Ulster TV? I'm sure I've seen a clip of him somewhere.....
LL
London Lite Founding member
Does anyone know who this obscure overnight presenter who was on Sky News earlier this month? http://geocities.com/phillpyscurrentbuns/whoisshe.html

I know that Tyne Tees Sarah Gatenby and Sue Radford have also done shifts as well.

Newer posts