TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RK
Rkolsen
They're only about 20 years behind the UK trying that sort of thing. Sky discovered very quickly viewers like the director to choose the best camera angle.

I’m not sure how often that happens for the US. But I seem to recall certain NBC sports events having the multiple camera angles.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Yeah, the first thought that came to mind was 'early days of red button'. Suprised that they had two 4K channels and neither were used for full match coverage.
HA
harshy Founding member
They're only about 20 years behind the UK trying that sort of thing. Sky discovered very quickly viewers like the director to choose the best camera angle.

It didn’t work because the sky boxes were so laggy it would take a second or two to switch to the angle which is obviously dosent happen when a director switches angle.
RK
Rkolsen

I’m not sure how often that happens for the US. But I seem to recall certain NBC sports events having the multiple camera angles.

Just looked back at some posts NBC Sports definitely has had different camera angles for the Olympics, NASCAR, and the Premier League.

Yeah, the first thought that came to mind was 'early days of red button'. Suprised that they had two 4K channels and neither were used for full match coverage.

Yeah that’s what baffled me. Why broadcast a 4K feed of a game when most of the picture is filled with graphics? I imagine most viewers would have preferred a 4K traditional game feed and the 4K skycam feed.

The only thing I can maybe think of is that early in the season when they were trying 4K they said every input/output in their router and switcher was populated and I think they’re still using quadlink HD-SDI. If they’re using quadlink that means the switcher would loose a quarter of its inputs. So having the normal feed in HD where you have the benefit of every camera angle makes sense as most viewers would watch the traditional feed.

Edit: Is there any professional switcher on the market be it SDI based (assuming 12G) or IP based where switching UHD video does not reduce the the number of workable inputs as there would be with 3G? I know Blackmagic has some but they aren’t really suited for professional full time uses.
Last edited by Rkolsen on 14 January 2020 7:47pm
GE
thegeek Founding member

Edit: Is there any professional switcher on the market be it SDI based (assuming 12G) or IP based where switching UHD video does not reduce the the number of workable inputs as there would be with 3G? I know Blackmagic has some but they aren’t really suited for professional full time uses.
Yes - with IP you can just kind of keep going. This truck comes with 32 UHD cameras, and the Kahuna mixer can take up to 120 inputs.

(I think most UHD OBs probably get away with a few upscaled cameras - minicams in goals, drone shots, etc)
UK
UKnews
I just want the beauty of HDR it looked fantastic on my friends telly Sky should be replicating the bbc especially with the sky high subscriptions, Sky have no excuses they done it for the Italianos, Sky should believe in better Wink

I’d rather wait than have the ‘fake’ HDR that Sky is - reportedly - offering (at least for some things) in Italy.
RK
Rkolsen
I just want the beauty of HDR it looked fantastic on my friends telly Sky should be replicating the bbc especially with the sky high subscriptions, Sky have no excuses they done it for the Italianos, Sky should believe in better Wink

I’d rather wait than have the ‘fake’ HDR that Sky is - reportedly - offering (at least for some things) in Italy.

What is this fake HDR?
MA
Markymark

Yes - with IP you can just kind of keep going. This truck comes with 32 UHD cameras, and the Kahuna mixer can take up to 120 inputs.

(I think most UHD OBs probably get away with a few upscaled cameras - minicams in goals, drone shots, etc)

It's all down to how much processing 'grunt' the mixer has, but all else being equal using uncompressed digital video, 4k working reduces the inputs available by a factor of four (over 1080p50 working) .
DV
DVB Cornwall
Intrigued....

Seems that there's now some UFC content on BBCiPlayer including two complete archive contests.
TI
TIGHazard
Intrigued....

Seems that there's now some UFC content on BBCiPlayer including two complete archive contests.

Seems to reference this upcoming event and also includes a press conference promoting it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_246

BT have the rights but could the BBC be airing highlights or a full replay in the future?

Wasn't there a boxing match they did this to a few years ago where it was embargoed in the listing magazines?
RD
rdd Founding member
Virgin Media TV sublicened some UFC content in the past so not beyond the realms of possibility, but seems an odd one for the BBC to target.

Completely unrelated...

LaLiga TV joined the Sky EPG (finally) on Monday (#435) and is free to all Sky customers this week and next week. After January 29th it becomes part of the Premier Sports pack in the U.K. and also available standalone at £5.99. In Ireland it’s not part of Premier Sports wholesale deal with Sky and instead is only available standalone at €5.99. ROI viewers will be able to watch kickoffs in the blocked 3pm window which, while not quite a first (we have had a live 3pm Premier League game since 2004, League of Wales games on S4C in the past and the very rare League of Ireland game on RTE) is certainly unusual.
HA
harshy Founding member

What is this fake HDR?

Apparently simulates an effect used on some HDR tellys don’t know if there’s been any complaints, either way the Italianos must be loving it and getting full value for their euros.

Newer posts