TV Home Forum

CBeebies and CBBC One and Two Scheduling

(January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TM
ToasterMan
Continuing the discussion somewhat from the CBeebies ECP thread, I thought it'd be worth documenting the changes in scheduling for CBBC and CBeebies on BBC One and Two over the years.

From September 2001 up until the launch of the new digital channels, the CBBC weekday schedule looked like this:
7.00-8.10 - CBBC Breakfast Show on BBC Two (Continued after the relaunch)
8.10-10.50 - Younger viewer programming (Rebranded CBeebies post-relaunch)
1.00-1.30 - One or two younger viewer programmes at Lunchtime (Also rebranded CBeebies until it was quietly dropped at the end of 2002.)
3.25-3.50 - 25 minutes of younger viewer programming presented through live voiceover on BBC One, (flip-flopped between one and two programmes until it was dropped after September 3rd, 2010) (Of course, became CBeebies on BBC One post rebrand and switched to pre-recorded links)
3.50-5.35 - Main afternoon strand on BBC One (Changed to 3.15-5.15 after The Weakest Link moved to BBC One and then started at 3.05 sometime later)

And on weekends:
Saturday 7.00-12.00 - CBBC One (first 25 minutes taken by CBeebies after relaunch, discontinued after December 2005 when Saturday morning programming moved from BBC One to BBC Two).
Sunday
Sunday 8.15-10.50 - CBBC Two (CBeebies programming was added for the first fifteen minutes from December 2002).

What surprises me is how the old 'See-Saw' strand which its roots date back to 1966 on BBC One, (rebranded twice to CBBC Two and CBeebies on BBC Two) was kept as late as December 2002, where it became noticeably out of place in comparison to the mid-morning strand, so from 2003, BBC Two replaced it with school's programming.

Also worth noting that while CBBC programming returned to BBC Two in September 2017 following the moving of children's programmes to the digital channels in December 2012, CBeebies remains exclusively digital, aside from the annual Christmas Pantos broadcast on BBC One.
Last edited by ToasterMan on 15 January 2020 8:21pm - 6 times in total
BU
buster
The lunchtime slot was binned when changes were made to the House of Commons sitting times in January 2003. Most business including PMQs was brought forward in the day, so to coincide Westminster Live was relaunched as The Daily Politics and was at about midday rather than 2.40. As the lunchtime CBeebies slot couldn’t be guaranteed every day it looks like they chose this point to finally axe that slot.
BR
Brekkie
Do the news channel simulcasts rate any better than the CBeebies simulcasts of 10-15 years ago?

I do think if the BBC2 daytime schedule is going to rely on simulcasts and repeats they might as well mix it up a bit more and use content from CBeebies and CBBC as much as they do BBC News.
GO
gottago
Do the news channel simulcasts rate any better than the CBeebies simulcasts of 10-15 years ago?

I do think if the BBC2 daytime schedule is going to rely on simulcasts and repeats they might as well mix it up a bit more and use content from CBeebies and CBBC as much as they do BBC News.

I expect many CBBC and CBeebies shows come with royalty payments whereas BBC News simulcasts don't.
Lou Scannon and Brekkie gave kudos
JO
Joe
There’s a lot of royalty on the news at the moment to be fair

Newer posts