2020 Irish Election Thread

(January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AJ
AJB39
Ok I stand corrected.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Presumably the validation of votes and the quotas will therefore be decided on Sunday before the actual count on the Monday.

I understand from an Irish Civil Servant, that a sort of hybrid will occur on Sunday. Yes validation and quotas will be done on the Sunday. If it seems obvious that a candidate or a number of candidates are going to pass the quota quickly and thus get elected on a 'first count', then the necessary elements to identify and elect these individuals will proceed on the Sunday. The bulk of the count involving the main counts, transfers of surplus votes of those elected and the elimination of poorly performing candidates will start on the Monday and proceed until their conclusion likely on Tuesday morning, or later in the case of recounts.
TV
TVLand
RTÉ will broadcast two live television debates as part of its coverage of the General Election.

The Claire Byrne Live Leaders' debate will see leaders from a number of political parties invited to take part in a debate in front of a live audience.

Fine Gael leader Leo Varadkar and Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin will go head-to-head in the Prime Time Leaders' debate, which is scheduled to take place in the final days of the debate.

Bryan Dobson will also carry out a series of interviews with party leaders to be broadcast on RTÉ One at 7pm throughout the campaign.

Dates of the debates are yet to be announced.
chinamug and London Lite gave kudos
BK
bkman1990
I'll take it that TG4's GE coverage will be known as Votá 2020. Is there any details of their coverage yet?
CH
chinamug
There seems to be some confusion here, Counting will take place on Sunday normally just like any other day. If it was Northern Ireland it would possibly be a different matter but in the Republic Counting has taken place Normally on Sundays for years between Referendum, Local elections and European Elections. Counting will only stop if they can't get to a finish on the night (this will happen probably in about a third to a half of the Constituencies) All the rest should have a full result by 3 or 4am Monday Morning.

Just to add, some might stop counting early as in between 9pm and midnight if it looks like there's another day or two's counting to go.
AJB39 and London Lite gave kudos
TV
TVLand
Details of Virgin Media’s coverage (I had originally posted this in the normal Irish TV thread but thought it would fit in here too)
Virgin Media Television’s Election 2020 Coverage 🗳
Pat Kenny will present Virgin Media’s leaders debate with leaders from all parties invited to take part (date unknown)
Colette Fitzpatrick will be interviewing every party leader individually live on the News at 5:30 over the course of the 3 week long campaign.
Political Correspondent Gavin Reilly will analyse the events from the campaign trail each day.
Economics Correspondent Paul Colgan will be running a “Fact Check” series, where he will be factchecking everything claimed by party leaders throughout the campaign.
Zara King will be behind a “Real Life” series where she will travel around the country chatting with people from all walks of life about how issues caused by the current Dáil has affected them and their families.

4 reporters are assigned to track the 4 main political parties:
Richard Chambers - Fine Gael
Ruairi Carroll - Fianna Fáil
Paul Quinn - Sinn Féin
Deborah Naylor - The Green Party

It seems as if Virgin Media Television has had there coverage planned for quite a while, as new graphics and titles debuted on the News at 5:30 yesterday and a new promo is already airing.

CH
chinamug
Huge difference there from Virgin Media Television compared to 2016 when coverage was basically done on a shoestring. However, like politicians you need to be wary of their promises. Often what's in their Autumn Mafioso doesn't match their actions.

On the other hand it appears RTE is pulling back a little. I have seen no mention of Campaign Daily yet that used to go out most days of an election Campaign between 12 and 1.
AJ
AJB39
There seems to be some confusion here, Counting will take place on Sunday normally just like any other day. If it was Northern Ireland it would possibly be a different matter but in the Republic Counting has taken place Normally on Sundays for years between Referendum, Local elections and European Elections. Counting will only stop if they can't get to a finish on the night (this will happen probably in about a third to a half of the Constituencies) All the rest should have a full result by 3 or 4am Monday Morning.

Just to add, some might stop counting early as in between 9pm and midnight if it looks like there's another day or two's counting to go.

I think you’re absolutely right. I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t count as normal on the Sunday. The public, the politicians and the media would demand it. As you said we’ve had counts on Sundays many times before without any issues. European elections are always counted on
Sundays.
JK
JKDerry
Huge difference there from Virgin Media Television compared to 2016 when coverage was basically done on a shoestring. However, like politicians you need to be wary of their promises. Often what's in their Autumn Mafioso doesn't match their actions.

On the other hand it appears RTE is pulling back a little. I have seen no mention of Campaign Daily yet that used to go out most days of an election Campaign between 12 and 1.

I wonder will RTE use Studio 4 at Donnybrook for their election coverage this year? As there is usually a Saturday night talk show in it live on a Saturday would that cause issues, or is Ray D'arcy Show not on air at the moment?

Will RTE opt to downsize like the BBC did for their 2019 election night. Downsizing at RTE would mean using their main news Studio 3 which was refurbished last year and possibly one of the two smaller studios, Studios 1 or 5 to save on cost?
JB
JBie
With such a short campaign it will probably be low-key, but I'm looking forward to seeing the new studio 3 in action if they decide to use it.
JK
JKDerry
JBie posted:
With such a short campaign it will probably be low-key, but I'm looking forward to seeing the new studio 3 in action if they decide to use it.

I wonder if RTE could provide a better studio presentation than the botched studio look for the BBC election night. They were in Studio B at New Broadcasting House, and their mix of VR and reality was truly awful. Even ITV News virtual election studio looked better.
PO
polo23
It will be more than likely be from Studio 4 with a rejigged version of the Prime Time set with two presentations areas for Bryan Dobson and Miriam O’Callaghan. A third presentation area will be likely from within the RTÉ newsroom or from the election RTÉ staff centre which I think is based in stage 1 at the studio complex. This is usually the presentation area for David McCullagh. This has been the presentation setup for the last general election
I cannot seem them using studio 3 for GE 2020 unless they are planning to transfer one of the presentations area a la Miriam O’Callaghan presenting from The RDS count centre with Bryan Dobson coming from studio 3. We’ll know in 3 weeks 😃

Newer posts