TV Home Forum

New Sky channels: Crime, Comedy, Documentaries, Nature

Sky Documentaries, History and Nature now launched (August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BC
BcastCam
Enter Sky News Arabia with this weird hybrid version:

It is indeed an interesting hybrid - their previous (pre-early 2019) logo was similarly jumbled! *
LN
LondonNewsBites
All we need is the Sky DOGs to stay on the screen.

What benefit do DOGs have for viewers? Why do you want them?

Erm... DOGs are important as it helps for channel identification.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
All we need is the Sky DOGs to stay on the screen.

What benefit do DOGs have for viewers? Why do you want them?

Erm... DOGs are important as it helps for channel identification.

And the "information" key on the Sky remote doesn't do the same job?

Allow me to quote this from Andrew Wiseman's DOG Watch page:

http://625.uk.com/dogwatch/index.htm posted:
In a further attempt to get at the truth [regarding the BBC Choice DOG of the time], Gareth Randall wrote a letter to the BBC staff newspaper Ariel in May 2000 to see if anyone was prepared to justify the existence of DOGs on digital without resorting to nonsense marketing speak. After all, all digital platforms can tell the viewer what channel he's watching simply by pressing a button on the remote control. This was the reply from Stuart Murphy [the then controller of BBC Choice]:
Quote:
There are two reasons I want a DOG in the top left of screen. First, I'm such a slob that I sometimes can't be bothered getting off my sofa to get the remote control to find out what channel I'm on. Once I have the remote control I often can't be bothered pressing the button. Even with the DOG in the top left of screen, I often can't be bothered letting my eyes drift up to that area of the screen to see what channel it is. Thankfully, for me and others, the DOG acts as a constant but subtle branding. The second and main reason, though, is that TIVO launches this Autumn. It will allow people to tell their set top box what shows they want to see, so that it can record those shows and play them back at a later date. Unless we have the BBC logo in the top of frame of every BBC show, we will lose credit for what we are doing. It's worth saying that when I ran UK PLAY no one complained about the on-screen DOG, whereas on BBC One or Two people do. Are you saying my DOG is uglier than theirs?
IS
Inspector Sands
This debate is as old as that page and in those 20 years everyone's got used to channel bugs and it's not really an issue any more

Pressing something to find out what channel you're watching is an active process. Very few people care what channel they're watching but the channels want them to know. Having the logo on the screen all the time makes it passive not active.
VM
VMPhil
This debate is as old as that page and in those 20 years everyone's got used to channel bugs and it's not really an issue any more

Pressing something to find out what channel you're watching is an active process. Very few people care what channel they're watching but the channels want them to know. Having the logo on the screen all the time makes it passive not active.

I think you're missing one crucial thing about what's happened over the last twenty years, or to be more precise over the last ten years, as channel DOGs have generally gotten smaller, more translucent, and have been moved much further into the corner after the axing of the 4:3 safe area. If the BBC introduced large, colourful, bright DOGs on their channels, I can bet there would be complaints. Some are so small and indistinguishable, like ITV's, that you wonder why they even bother.
JF
JetixFann450

I think you're missing one crucial thing about what's happened over the last twenty years, or to be more precise over the last ten years, as channel DOGs have generally gotten smaller, more translucent, and have been moved much further into the corner after the axing of the 4:3 safe area. If the BBC introduced large, colourful, bright DOGs on their channels, I can bet there would be complaints. Some are so small and indistinguishable, like ITV's, that you wonder why they even bother.

That hadn't stopped CBBC from having a colour changing DOG, but again, it's for children and I don't think they'd care as much.
BR
Brekkie
How do people know they're watching Netflix?
DB
dbl
How do people know they're watching Netflix?

A strong sonic ident ity.
AJ
AJ
I'm pretty bemused that people think that investment in a brand means no investment in a technology platform.

They're two very separate areas of any business - not just exclusive to Sky either.
BA
bilky asko

Though it's noticeably bigger and brighter on ITV Hub content.
SH
Sh1ruba

And we now have a promo for the new Sky Comedy!
I like the neon-sign inspired branding.
ME
mediachris

And we now have a promo for the new Sky Comedy!
I like the neon-sign inspired branding.

It's been on TV, notably on Universal Channel for about a week or so now. Great promo and love the logo!

Newer posts