The Newsroom

CNN International & Domestic

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JW
JamesWorldNews
I’m guessing they should be up and running in the new place by mid-Feb.
BI
Bignewsfan1
So great to have Michael and Rosie co-anchoring this week, just like in the good old days. Wish this was permanent....

what time banks close today

Has Michael Holmes been relegated to the anchor the overnight graveyard (weekend) slot on CNN? - shocked to see him anchor when i get up at 5 for work - would be 1 or 2 am US time - not long ago he was on straight after Jaker Taaper and The Lead
NZ
nznewser
So great to have Michael and Rosie co-anchoring this week, just like in the good old days. Wish this was permanent....

what time banks close today

Has Michael Holmes been relegated to the anchor the overnight graveyard (weekend) slot on CNN? - shocked to see him anchor when i get up at 5 for work - would be 1 or 2 am US time - not long ago he was on straight after Jaker Taaper and The Lead

He did the old CNN Today, which was replaced late last year by The Brief and Your World Today. Holmes covers weekends and Mondays on the overnight shift US time now.
BF
BFGArmy
And it's CNN Democratic Debate Night. So if you fancy any international news in the next 15-16 hours best look elsewhere. Actually I tell a lie there's one bulletin at about 8am GMT tomorrow.
4 hours of simulcast Domestic build-up and a full replay of the debate as Europe wakes up feel particularly unnecessary.
Last edited by BFGArmy on 14 January 2020 10:12pm
NZ
nznewser
And it's CNN Democratic Debate Night. So if you fancy any international news in the next 15-16 hours best look elsewhere. Actually I tell a lie there's one bulletin at about 8am GMT tomorrow.
4 hours of simulcast Domestic build-up and a full replay of the debate as Europe wakes up feel particularly unnecessary.

Yes, perhaps an hour of build up is justified, the debate, and then some post-debate analysis would have been sufficient. The repeat is completely unnecessary, as I'm sure the news bulletins would have provided plenty of coverage and highlights for those who missed it.

I am getting the message that this year being an election year we can expect much more US simulcasted content between now and November!
MA
Meridian AM
Is all of this just to save money?

Surely most of the International audience aren't interested in these US political debates.

I'm sure the International channel used to be much more International in flavour and less Americanised, in terms of news content, presenting style, scheduling, staff, etc.
NE
Newsroom
I wouldn’t say any presenter on overnights has been relegated. The U.K. ans Europe make up only a small portion of CNN’s global audience. Rosemary, Michael are surely far more appealing to the other side of world waking up and switching on CNNi.
NE
Newsroom

Surely most of the International audience aren't interested in these US political debates.

I'm sure the International channel used to be much more International in flavour and less Americanised, in terms of news content, presenting style, scheduling, staff, etc.

CNNi have always simulcasted the debates. There was significant Breaking News happening from 6 eastern concerning Rudi Giuliani and the Ukrainian story so o guess we got more build up than usual.
JW
JamesWorldNews
I wouldn’t mind if CNNI dipped-in for the actual debate itself, as I’m quite interested to hear that. But we don’t need the hours of build-up and fanfare that precedes and then follows the debate. Bring us in just as the actual debate commences. Until then, leave us in the Hands of Hala.
WW
WW Update

U.S. presidential debates have major repercussions for the entire world and are definitely of significant interest to an international audience. People expect to see them on CNN International, particularly when CNN is hosting them.

For the same reason, BBC World News carried the British PM debates live, and France 24 carried the French presidential debates (with an English translation).
IS
Inspector Sands
But this isn't a presidental debate, it was a Democratic Party primary debate. Have they even got it down to under 20 candidates yet?
RK
Rkolsen
But this isn't a presidental debate, it was a Democratic Party primary debate. Have they even got it down to under 20 candidates yet?

There were six eligible for the debate. I’m not sure how many major ones there are. The only one I heard that was ineligible was Mike Bloomberg who entered the race after the eligibility was set.

Newer posts