TV Home Forum

Top of the Pops

1990 on BBC Four (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AB
AcerBen
I guess with a revamp on the horizon and the presumably unexpected forced retirement of Paul Ciani has a lot to do with how TOTP was in the summer of 91, sudden changes of personell and not a solid idea of the direction the show should be going in. I always wonder how the 91 revamp would have gone if he hadn't fallen ill, I presume the no miming rule wouldn't have come in (I read somewhere they had to make last minute changes to the studio because of Stan Appel's insistence on it) and quite likely we'd never have seen the likes of Dortie or Franklin either. A revamp clearly was needed though, that set was so 80s it couldn't have lasted any longer!

I've said this before but I can absolutely date to the day when I heard about the revamp - it was in the Sunday papers on 2nd June 1991, and I remember that because the very next episode on 6th June was the one where they featured records at number 41 and 42 and, stupid kid I was, I assumed that the policy of featuring records from outside the Top 40, as mentioned in the piece in the papers, was starting with immediate effect. Of course, it was just a coincidence that they were struggling to fill up the show and so ventured outside the Top 40. In any case, that was while Michael Hurll was still producing, so presumably the idea of the revamp was in the pipeline for a while.

There have been some odd transitional phases of Pops in between producers, June to September 1991 is one of them, plus also March to June 1997 when Mark Wells produced in between Ric Blaxill and Chris Cowey, and September to November 2003 when Dominic Smith produced in between Chris Cowey and the big revamp (it's almost exactly like that period, actually, given the big changes to follow).

Yeah those stand-in producers seemed to like to make their mark by making little tweaks to the format or presentation, even though they must've known they weren't going to be there very long.
JA
james-2001
I guess even producing for a short time they still felt they wanted to leave their impression on the show, and maybe hope the following producers would hold on to some of the changes they made as well. And it did happen to an extent- Mark Wells' change to putting the song captions at the end rather than the beginning was kept by Chris Cowey for example, until the 98 revamp anyway.

Mark Wells made quite a few changes actually, he removed the artists intro before the opening titles, removed the arrows on the 40-11 countdown and stopped the TOTP2 playout over the credits. The amount of videos being shown were reduced under him too, before Cowey all but got rid of them entirely. He did a fair few changes for someone who was only there for 3 months.
JA
james-2001
Looks like Liz Kershaw got her cheque!

So 2 questions about these repeats now been answered- permission isn't needed (as seen by Andy Crane being unaware his episodes were being shown), and they do get royalties for them.
paul_hadley and Rory gave kudos
AR
Argybargy
And this will of course be Liz's only TOTP royalty cheque as she only ever presented this one edition. Bruno Brookes would continue to appear until the 1991 revamp, but he did return again in early 1994 and stayed until April 1995, around the time that Radio 1 gave him the push.
LL
Lottie Long-Legs
Looks like Liz Kershaw got her cheque!

So 2 questions about these repeats now been answered- permission isn't needed (as seen by Andy Crane being unaware his episodes were being shown), and they do get royalties for them.

And this will of course be Liz's only TOTP royalty cheque as she only ever presented this one edition. Bruno Brookes would continue to appear until the 1991 revamp, but he did return again in early 1994 and stayed until April 1995, around the time that Radio 1 gave him the push.

If artists also get royalties, then she’ll probably receive about 25p when the video to “It Takes Two” (featuring Bruno, Jive Bunny, and whoever else) gets an airing in a few months time.
JA
james-2001
Just seen this posted on Popscene, a feature from the 8:15 from Manchester in 1991:

Has an interview with Michael Hurll who mentions it's his first edition since 1987, and he's filling in for Paul Ciani who's in hospital, and he talks as if he was expecting him to come back, which obviously never happened as he died a few months later.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Jackie Brambles sounds like she has a Liverpool accent during that interview for some reason.
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 26 March 2021 4:50pm
JA
james-2001
Last year BBC2 showed an edited version of I Love 1982 with DLT's links intact, presumably the BBC have decided it's OK to show him again now, but too late for the TOTP repeats.
BU
buster
They didn't, it was carefully edited to only feature the links presented by Mike Read and Tommy Vance. Not too difficult when it only ran 30 mins.
JA
james-2001
I read somewhere (I think on DS) that they left his links in, that person must have got it wrong.
TI
TIGHazard
I read somewhere (I think on DS) that they left his links in, that person must have got it wrong.

You might be remembering me telling people I Love 82 was on, after several people said it would be impossible for them to do an edit removing DLT's links.

Newer posts