The Newsroom

BBC regional politics refresh

Split from Changes to BBC Parliament & Political Programming (December 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
I see most regions got red sofas, while BBC London's version now comes from Millbank using the Politics Live desk.
ST
Stuart
Here is the South West version. They have decided to use the desk area rather than the soft area as previously for Sunday Politics and the Politics Show. It's a nice variation of the weekday Daily Politics theme.
MI
m_in_m

Must be coming from Cambridge to have the corner behind Amelia like that.

Does Cambridge now have a similar set to Norwich? The last I saw Cambridge used a desk while Norwich used sofas.
CR
Critique
Politics Scotland.

Just a thought on this... BBC Scotland's weekday political programming is already called 'Politics Scotland', and has separate branding, titles and so on.

As the Sunday programme now happens to have the same name as the weekday shows, you'd presume that the weekday shows will adopt the Politics Live-style branding? Otherwise I look forward to the delightful mishmash of two shows with the same name but different on-screen looks!
BR
Brekkie
Did much change editorially with these programmes?
JO
Joe
Bit of a shame this change is buried in a 57-page thread, even if it is on-topic.
PE
peterrocket Founding member
Here is the South West version. They have decided to use the desk area rather than the soft area as previously for Sunday Politics and the Politics Show. It's a nice variation of the weekday Daily Politics theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr83o3S3WGQ

I know it was composed by the same person, but all I can think of with the start of that theme is Countryfile.
reubz, Anglialad and MMcG198 gave kudos
LS
Lou Scannon
Politics South West is the only region not to use the purple silhouettes of regional landmarks as a studio backdrop (even though one was created, as it is used as a Twitter header image). The usual Sutton Harbour photographic blow-up backdrop as used on Spotlight remains.

The main presenter's seating position around the desk is such that one of the screens which would be used for Spotlight weather forecasts forms the backdrop behind him. It shows a photo of the Tamar bridges.
CR
Critique
A couple of regions going rogue (looking at you North West!) and chopping the length of the titles down towards the end, with a cut in the audio that doesn't sound *quite* right. Makes you long for ITV where visual standards are a bit more consistently enforced across the regions!
NG
noggin Founding member
I would think it would be good to extend them to 45 mins to include a news update and do them live every week 15 mins of regional news & 30 mins of politics .

15 mins of regional news, live, on a Sunday? That would require massively more resources than regions currently have at weekends.
London Lite and Lou Scannon gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
There is hardly a need for a regional news bulletin at 10am ona Sunday morning.
MA
Markymark
There is hardly a need for a regional news bulletin at 10am ona Sunday morning.

The nearest there's been to that were weird two minute pan regional summaries
during the 90s when there were pan regional political progs at noon ish on Sundays (on BBC2)

Newer posts