TV Home Forum

The Masked Singer

Split from ITV Programming Thread (November 2019)

BM
BM11
There is no long game with The Voice - it's about the auditions and that's about it. Was a bit of a joke seeing Tom Jones pitch to a contestant last night about going to him because he'd bring out a versatile side to her and show off other areas of her talent, yet when they only have two live shows they just don't have the opportunity to do that at all.

Talking of live shows I think we're seeing The Masked Singer is a show which actually benefits from being pre-recorded. I just think it would be so much harder to keep the secrets if it aired live in a weekly slot.

Being live would make the judges look farcical when identities are guessed by loads at home and that fact gets well reported but they continue to say names which don't fit the clues.
Through some of the Judges comments might be scripted - Davina mentions Tom Daley then a truth or lie is do I get wet. Panel think the Duck is a spice girl then a truth or lie is was I in a famous girl group.
It also be easier to rule out people due to known commitments on airing dates and rule out a lot of people who cant commit to two months of filming but could do the two weeks it takes to make a series.
Last edited by BM11 on 12 January 2020 12:56pm
PE
peterh Central (East) East Midlands Today
The main itv channel really needs to appeal to all as an introducer to the delights of the rest of the itv channel family ( does also the affiliation with stv - where itv is more active seemingly than stv an issue maybe?)
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
ITV probably have the demos covered across their suite of channels better than most of their rivals.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
JA
JAS84 Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
Yeah, ITV is general, ITV2 is youth, ITV3 is the older demo, ITV4 is men, ITV Be is women (including young mothers with it's Little Be strand) and CITV is children. Compare the BBC, who seem to think teenagers and young adults don't watch linear TV any more. And Channel 4, who don't cater to children, except for the odd movie and The Snowman.

BM11 posted:
It also be easier to rule out people due to known commitments on airing dates and rule out a lot of people who cant commit to two months of filming but could do the two weeks it takes to make a series.
Did it really only take two weeks? I don't get why Ken would need to miss any of the filming if it was such a short period of time.
BM
BM11
JAS84 posted:
Yeah, ITV is general, ITV2 is youth, ITV3 is the older demo, ITV4 is men, ITV Be is women (including young mothers with it's Little Be strand) and CITV is children. Compare the BBC, who seem to think teenagers and young adults don't watch linear TV any more. And Channel 4, who don't cater to children, except for the odd movie and The Snowman.

The BBC knows it needs to appease older people much more to get the charter renewed.
DB
dbl London London
BM11 posted:
dbl posted:
BM11 posted:
I say it's targeted at 25-50 with a couple of names with expected wider recognition added in
But none of the names are people that only the 50+ would know more than other age groups.

A TV broadcaster would love to have 16-34 tune into their programmes, it's a gold mine for advertisers, especially in the age of streaming. 50+ doesn't sell as well. It makes sense to have a variety of celebrities in the show from all age ranges and generations.

It's not rocket science. Your making this more of an issue than it actually is - the tweets on twitter aren't exactly moaning about this, more for the cringeworthy but can't stop watching factor of the show.

To be honest insular over 50's are not probably going to found on twitter.

Twitter or not (and I see this everyday) the data backs it up and the financials back it up.
BM
BM11
dbl posted:
BM11 posted:
dbl posted:
A TV broadcaster would love to have 16-34 tune into their programmes, it's a gold mine for advertisers, especially in the age of streaming. 50+ doesn't sell as well. It makes sense to have a variety of celebrities in the show from all age ranges and generations.

It's not rocket science. Your making this more of an issue than it actually is - the tweets on twitter aren't exactly moaning about this, more for the cringeworthy but can't stop watching factor of the show.

Twitter or not (and I see this everyday) the data backs it up and the financials back it up.

I mean the people who don't know
Justin Hawkins or Kellis are not as likely to be on twitter to complain who?
DB
dbl London London
BM11 posted:
dbl posted:
BM11 posted:

Errm.

https://twitter.com/kelis
https://twitter.com/thedarkness

I'm done.
chevron and james-2001 gave kudos
CA
Capybara Granada North West Today
dbl posted:
BM11 posted:
dbl posted:

Errm.

I'm done.

I still don't agree with BM11's point but I think they were trying to say "anyone who doesn't know Justin Hawkins and Kelis are also not likely to use Twitter", rather than "I bet Justin Hawkins and Kelis won't be on Twitter".
Aspiring continuity announcer.
PFMC84, JAS84 and BM11 gave kudos
BM
BM11
dbl posted:
BM11 posted:

Errm.

I'm done.

I still don't agree with BM11's point but I think they were trying to say "anyone who doesn't know Justin Hawkins and Kelis are also not likely to use Twitter", rather than "I bet Justin Hawkins and Kelis won't be on Twitter".

Correct
LE
Lewismpsmith Meridian (South East) South East Today
Just watched the latest episode.

I felt so bad for Chameleon, quite the emotional rollercoaster that one, all great performances but what an episode for Duck and Queen Bee, must of taken a lot of courage to sing two powerful songs on stage, and don't get me started on how much I loved the Duck with Bon Jovi's wig, knocking over that microphone haha Laughing

Hedgehog and the Fox are my favorites so far but there hasn't been a singer that I don't like, I love them all to bits and it felt like everybody had stepped it up massively this week, it has literally been all smiles and that really is the show's charm.

The guesses and theories from the viewers online and the judges on the show is so fun to hear, I too think that The Unicorn is John Barrowman.

Another great episode full of laughs and it really is that type of show that leaves the viewer wanting more, at least to me anyways.
We're in this together. Stay alert.
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Duck is quite obviously Skin, you could really tell when she was singing Living on a Prayer

Newer posts