« Topics
Night Thoughts261 posts since 24 Jan 2016
London London
Bruce Gyngell telling us how wonderful Regional ITV is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8evup3J5YXI

Funny that London's offerings were still split between Trevor Phillips on LWT, and a very stiff-looking Alastair Stewart and Mary Nightingale claiming all of London Tonight for Carlton. (The IRA bomb at South Quay on the Isle of Dogs referred to in their video was on a Friday night, when Carlton had finished for the week.)
JAS844,344 posts since 26 Aug 2010
Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
Of coruse around the time this was made, Gyngell took away Tyne Tees regional identity with the stupid "Channel 3 North East" branding.

That was weird. Tyne Tees lost it's logo, but the Tyne Tees name still appeared on screen as they weren't actually allowed to ditch it at the time. And Yorkshire was dual branded, with the chevron forming in the middle part of the 3. They ditched the Channel 3 branding not long after Granada bought them out. While the 1998 branding was a rush job, it's hardly surprising that the final 2000 Tyne Tees logo more closely resembles the 1992 one. That logo is a much more natural evolution and was criminally underused (since they didn't edit or remake the generic heart ident to use it).
Ne1L C1,289 posts since 11 Sep 2011
I never understood the whole 3NE idea. I suppose if both YTV and TTTV had been merged and reformatted as one super region from the Scottish border to NW Norfolk then 3NE could have been suitable.
Last edited by Ne1L C on 14 January 2020 3:46pm
Closedown gave kudos
nwtv20038,435 posts since 5 Jan 2003
Granada North West Today
I never understood the whole 3NE idea. I suppose if both YTV and TTTV had been merged and reformatted as one super region from the Scottish border to NW Norfolk then 3NE could have been suitable.

That was the plan to an extent, Yorkshire Television was going to be rebranded as Channel 3 Yorkshire, I believe to the point where an ident was made for it, but they bailed late on. Yorkshire didn’t fully escape the Channel 3 branding outright however:

steve
steviegTVreturns
russty_russ147 posts since 17 Feb 2017
Anglia (West) Look East
If TV-AM had survived he might have renamed it Channel 3 Breakfast Shocked

Mind you when the ITC was advertising the new franchises, those involved were bidding for a Channel 3 licence rather than an ITV one and Ceefax went through a period some point during the 90s calling ITV as C3 in the TV lisitngs pages.
Spencer (previously Spencer For Hire) 6,036 posts since 13 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

Mind you when the ITC was advertising the new franchises, those involved were bidding for a Channel 3 licence rather than an ITV one and Ceefax went through a period some point during the 90s calling ITV as C3 in the TV lisitngs pages.

Others on here have disputed this in the past, but I'm sure there was actually a plan at one point in the mid 90s to phase out the name 'ITV' and use 'Channel 3' instead, with the 'Britain's Most Popular Buttton - 3' promotions being the start of this...

My understanding was that Tyne Tees (and very nearly Yorkshire) jumped the gun on this by introducing Channel 3 before the plan was shelved.
Ne1L C1,289 posts since 11 Sep 2011

Others on here have disputed this in the past, but I'm sure there was actually a plan at one point in the mid 90s to phase out the name 'ITV' and use 'Channel 3' instead, with the 'Britain's Most Popular Buttton - 3' promotions being the start of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5mKPOBwI7Y

My understanding was that Tyne Tees (and very nearly Yorkshire) jumped the gun on this by introducing Channel 3 before the plan was shelved.

For that we should give thanks.
Brekkie gave kudos