TV Home Forum

Top of the Pops

1990 on BBC Four (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CO
Colm
They were animated a week later - apart from the Gloria Estefan playout, that is.

Perhaps they wanted to downplay the new graphics on their first week out - particularly as from now on, there's no more end-performance captions with their charming (well, I liked them) animation.

I do wish they'd have sorted out the sound issues with the second presenter's mic by this stage - mind you, many of us will be grateful they hadn't on next week's 9pm episode Wink
JA
james-2001
Colm posted:
They were animated a week later - apart from the Gloria Estefan playout, that is.

Same animation every time though!
BU
buster
The old version of The Wizard used on the 12/01/89 charts, for some reason.
JA
james-2001
The 12/1 episodes was far too rushed as well, some things barely got played at all. Especially the Duran Duran video.
JA
james-2001
Whoever was doing the subtitles for the 12/1 episode thought Rod McKenzie was ROB McKenzie. They made the same mistake in the Story of 1989 even though his name caption was on screen at the same time.

There was some controversy over him a few years back when he got fired from Radio 1 Newsbeat over accusations of bullying, though that clearly hasn't affected BBC4 showing his episodes, though I think he only appeared twice anyway, this one and the 16th March (where he was actually credited as a presenter).
Last edited by james-2001 on 11 January 2020 12:38am
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
Whoever was doing the subtitles for the 12/1 episode thought Rod McKenzie was ROB McKenzie. They made the same mistake in the Story of 1989 even though his name caption was on screen at the same time.

There was some controversy over him a few years back when he got fired from Radio 1 Newsbeat over accusations of bullying, though that clearly hasn't affected BBC4 showing his episodes, though I think he only appeared twice anyway, this one and the 16th March (where he was actually credited as a presenter).

He was recently featured as a guest on Shaun Tilley's 'My Radio 1' series https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07wb4c7 where he discusses his Radio 1 career (but not the controversies) and also talks about his TOTP appearances.
SW
Steve Williams
The 12/1 episodes was far too rushed as well, some things barely got played at all. Especially the Duran Duran video.

Quite impressed at their attempt to seemingly play the entire Top 40 in half an hour, I was exhausted just watching it. A fascinating episode all round, I think, including the notorious "we forgot our undertrousers" Milli Vanilli performance.

The new big stage is bloody awful compared to the old one, but it does give us more chance to see the presenters awkwardly standing around during the performances. Rod McKenzie was really getting down to The Darling Buds.
JA
james-2001
including the notorious "we forgot our undertrousers" Milli Vanilli performance.

I think they were singing live, I'll be devastated to be told otherwise Wink
JA
james-2001
Someone posted up a link to a BBC archive copy of the 5/1/89 episode. Not that it's particularly interesting apart from the VT clock and 30-odd extra seconds of The Four Tops that BBC4 didn't show:

https://mega.nz/#!V1dV3KhQ!R3HAPv8x3ic_a_dVem_FTLptHWdd2ot5hifexxdSTF0
VM
VMPhil
The Beautiful South appearing on the Big Hits compilation has reminded me that the YouTube video for 'Song for Whoever' has a nice 30 second VT clock at the beginning:

JA
james-2001
Clearly not an original VT clock with an email address and an 020 phone number Razz

I find the BBC's 80s VT clocks a bit unusual seeing as they're basically just countdowns rather than clocks as such

LL
Lottie Long-Legs

Quite impressed at their attempt to seemingly play the entire Top 40 in half an hour, I was exhausted just watching it. A fascinating episode all round, I think, including the notorious "we forgot our undertrousers" Milli Vanilli performance.

The new big stage is bloody awful compared to the old one, but it does give us more chance to see the presenters awkwardly standing around during the performances. Rod McKenzie was really getting down to The Darling Buds.

Yeah... there’s fast-paced, and there’s blink-and-you’ll-miss-it.

Ever get the feeling that they kept letting off fireworks behind that new stage to make it seem more impressive than it was?! The “Tower of Power” (as I believe Bruno called it) sees Wrighty do some cringe dancing to Holly Johnson in a few weeks time.

Also... what, exactly, are “undertrousers”?! 😂😂 (yes, I remember the same excuse)

Newer posts