« Topics
Richard969 posts since 22 Apr 2012
Granada North West Today
This seems relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t301NH_jbZE

Some observations from the first minute: what's with the non-standard election 97 logo on the slide? Also the first thing in the menu is 'coming up' at 10pm when they went on air at 10.30. It's also a bit hard to follow the route he takes around TVC but it doesn't quite look like the most straightforward way from TC1 to TC6.
Right, I wonder how much of this I'll get through...

Really loved this at the time. Note that this wasn’t shown at all in Scotland and Wales because they had their own Election programmes. Northern Ireland didn’t, partly because no election counting happened there overnight in 1997.
toby lerone 2016482 posts since 13 Jul 2016
UTV Newsline
This seems relevant:

Some observations from the first minute: what's with the non-standard election 97 logo on the slide? Also the first thing in the menu is 'coming up' at 10pm when they went on air at 10.30. It's also a bit hard to follow the route he takes around TVC but it doesn't quite look like the most straightforward way from TC1 to TC6.

Really loved this at the time. Note that this wasn’t shown at all in Scotland and Wales because they had their own Election programmes. Northern Ireland didn’t, partly because no election counting happened there overnight in 1997.

2010 was the first time election counting happened at night in Northern Ireland, always done the next day because of the troubles etc and even now it is only the General Election that is counted overnight
thegeek5,206 posts since 1 Jan 2002
London London
This seems relevant:

Ah, that may explain why I didn't see any of it at the time - I remember being a fan of the Friday Night Armistice. Though I suppose I might also have missed it due to having an exam the next morning...
Inspector Sands14,149 posts since 25 Aug 2004
Great clip, so much of interest.

Thames really went overboard with that continuity set didn't they? With 321 usually being on at the weekend presumably Peter Marshall hadn't had the opportunity to do that gag, at least not on Thames.

Also amazing how little time they were given for that junction, just 10 seconds. Anna didn't seem to know that was the end of the bulletin either.
Si-Co and nwtv2003 gave kudos
Steve in Pudsey10,506 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Would be interesting to know how the nations handled this back in the day. They needed their own Christmas symbol as the network one would only be available if their junctions coincided with a network one.

But the nations didn't have an equivalent of Pres B to set up in. I guess the studio used for short news bulletins was used?
Write that down in your copybook now.