« Topics
Brekkie33,420 posts since 4 Jan 2003 Recently warned
HTV Wales Wales Today
I don’t see a list of credits for the people who work on the delivery lorries or in the warehouse when I walk out of Morrisons. Why are people who work on TV so special?

You mean you don't send a personal letter of thanks to everyone involved in your favourite programmes? Wink

Quite surprised how relaxed some of our long standing members are about credits being axed considering the complaints about generic fonts, credit squeezing and simply talking over the credits over the years. For me it isn't about crediting the personnel involved, it is about closing a programme properly and allowing viewers to take breath before the next show comes along.
It's great that everybody gets sarcasm.
chevron and DeMarkay gave kudos
VMPhil10,146 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today

Reminds me of years ago when SM:TV Live would end with Ant, Dec and Cat using the CD:UK microphones and they'd run the in-to-break sting rather than credits. The difference there though was that CD:UK was introduced with an ITV ident/continuity beforehand (whereas SM:TV was introduced with a CiTV ident with no announcer).

That's a good example but SMTV/CDUK were essentially the same show, same presenters, overall same production team etc. And of course the credits for both programmes were at the end of CD:UK.

Yes I know, it's similar with this because Loose Women, as the final show of the block (are we calling it a block?), also still has end credits. As you say, unlike SM:TV/CD:UK which had the same crew this is presumably crediting only the Loose Women production team which is a little unfair if you're working on the earlier shows!

I don’t see a list of credits for the people who work on the delivery lorries or in the warehouse when I walk out of Morrisons. Why are people who work on TV so special?

You mean you don't send a personal letter of thanks to everyone involved in your favourite programmes? Wink

Quite surprised how relaxed some of our long standing members are about credits being axed considering the complaints about generic fonts, credit squeezing and simply talking over the credits over the years. For me it isn't about crediting the personnel involved, it is about closing a programme properly and allowing viewers to take breath before the next show comes along.

Funny, as I'm a bit surprised that people who have complained, rightly, about ITV's dull, generic white on black credits are now bemoaning several shows for not having them Smile

I'm not dancing in the streets about the credits being dropped but I can perfectly see why ITV has gone down this route. They've now got four live shows on after the other, it makes sense to have them flow into each other as much as is possible on commercial television.

Now if you want me to be critical, then I'd question whether having four similar live, topical daytime shows after the other is really a good idea (outside of commercial realities, of course). I know people aren't going to sit and watch from 6am till 1pm, but if they tune in at one point and then come back later and the next show is covering the same topic, it's going to feel a bit stale.
Meridian AM114 posts since 29 Oct 2019
Meridian (South) South Today

Reminds me of years ago when SM:TV Live would end with Ant, Dec and Cat using the CD:UK microphones and they'd run the in-to-break sting rather than credits. The difference there though was that CD:UK was introduced with an ITV ident/continuity beforehand (whereas SM:TV was introduced with a CiTV ident with no announcer).

That's a good example but SMTV/CDUK were essentially the same show, same presenters, overall same production team etc. And of course the credits for both programmes were at the end of CD:UK.

Yes I know, it's similar with this because Loose Women, as the final show of the block (are we calling it a block?), also still has end credits. As you say, unlike SM:TV/CD:UK which had the same crew this is presumably crediting only the Loose Women production team which is a little unfair if you're working on the earlier shows!

Funny, as I'm a bit surprised that people who have complained, rightly, about ITV's dull, generic white on black credits are now bemoaning several shows for not having them Smile

I'm not dancing in the streets about the credits being dropped but I can perfectly see why ITV has gone down this route. They've now got four live shows on after the other, it makes sense to have them flow into each other as much as is possible on commercial television.

Now if you want me to be critical, then I'd question whether having four similar live, topical daytime shows after the other is really a good idea (outside of commercial realities, of course). I know people aren't going to sit and watch from 6am till 1pm, but if they tune in at one point and then come back later and the next show is covering the same topic, it's going to feel a bit stale.

LW's timings haven't changed. It still starts and ends at exactly the same time as always. (something like 12.28 start and 13.25 finish).

It is just that This Morning have added the extra LW preview at the end of their show, which is the same length as the old credits were. TM also finishes at exactly the same time as it always did (12.25 and however many seconds).
The advert break between TM and LW is exactly the same length as before.
As we have said, the loss of credits and extra added LW preview is to give the mental message to viewers that the live programmes roll on.

To be honest, Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women are very similar really. They all deal with the same gossipy, mostly unimportant 'fluff' hosted by the same faces every day. They are all predictable, have the same segments, competitions and guests on for a 7 minute interview to promote their latest book or soap opera disaster storyline.
There is very little actual news content and serious interviews on TM anymore (which is a definite waste of Eamonn and Ruth's skills) and all of the programmes seem desperate to promote themselves by exploiting their 'unplanned' 'funny moments' in newspapers and online each day - trying to make out the programmes are better and more popular than they are, trying to hook in new viewers and advertisers.
mediaman2007493 posts since 22 Sep 2007

Let's pay everyone - Supermarket assistant, TV producer, Prime minister - the same while we're at it.
Whataday10,548 posts since 13 Sep 2001
HTV Wales Wales Today
Seeing Matthew Wright on This Morning on Tuesday makes me question whether ITV ever considered The Wright Stuff for the 9:25 slot. This Morning seem to be filling their extra time with that sort of content so it would have been a nice fit. Not sure where they'd have produced it though.
Capybara174 posts since 24 Jul 2018
Granada North West Today
rely the unions would insist that people get credit for their work? If there's no rules saying that they need credits, then there's no reason why all shows can't cut them - it'd make room for one more commercial per programme.

Quite a few programmes over the years have had no end credits. An example I remember is that ITV used to not show the end credits from their showings of Home and Away, due to timing. My ITV regional news doesn't have credits anymore, and if you watch Coronation Street, etc, the end credits are a lot shorter now than they were in the 90s and 00s. It is all to try to keep viewers.

And a lot of shows don't even have proper opening titles now, so they can get straight to the action, to try to keep viewers.

I'm still surprised that they don't air them, even if it was in the superfast blink-and-you'll-miss-it form that American television uses, with this being the best example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGUj3YjuueY

Actually, the reason those credits are so blink-and-you'll-miss-it is because that's the end of The Spongebob Squarepants Movie (2005), which has condensed the credits from the entire movie into the 30 seconds there. This, therefore, is a bit of a rubbish example, but it does still make your point.
Aspiring continuity announcer.