TV Home Forum

New BBC Local Radio jingles

Launched on Radio Leicester (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
We've already had 'The Sound of Surrey and North East Hampshire' in my area, which was in the late Southern Counties era just before it became BBC Surrey.

"The sound of Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire" (Three Counties), I wonder? Catchy...

They normally abbreviate their coverage area to 'Beds, Herts and Bucks'.
Last edited by Robert Williams on 7 January 2020 7:42am - 2 times in total
IS
Inspector Sands
We've already had 'The Sound of Surrey and North East Hampshire' in my area, which was in the late Southern Counties era just before it became BBC Surrey.

Well as any jingle fan knows 'Surrey and North East Hampshire is a special kind of place'
RW
Robert Williams Founding member

Will we also have "The sound of Dorset, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight" (Solent) and "The sound of Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire" (Three Counties), I wonder? Catchy...

'the Sound of the Solent' works well I think.

I'd have thought that the strapline/slogan will be different for each station, as they all are now. What works in Leicester won't for a more rural station.

I think it is to be the same slogan everywhere, but time will tell... Solent used to have 'The Sound of the South' many years ago. They could have 'The Sound of Dorset' on the Dorset feed which has its own breakfast show.

A bit of a shame as I really like the current package and my local station adopted them less then two years ago so they still feel new.

Surrey and Sussex only adopted them last July, the last areas that did so, and they even managed to make a pig's ear of that, by only changing the news, weather and phone number jingles at first, then changing (nearly) everything else a couple of weeks later. Only the travel jingle/bed has remained unchanged, and that seems to be a non-standard one that doesn't relate to either Mcasso package. The new package should at least bring everything back into line in all areas.
IT
IndigoTucker
The do sound very commercial, especially the notes at the start which sound very familiar to me, but can't place which commercial station I've heard them on.

It conjures up "the best music mix" from the Wireless Group stations (ie Signal 1)
HT
HTV Best
The do sound very commercial, especially the notes at the start which sound very familiar to me, but can't place which commercial station I've heard them on.

A bit of a shame as I really like the current package and my local station adopted them less then two years ago so they still feel new. The London package in particular sounds great still

I heard these yesterday but not the bit about stations being able to decide whether to use the sung bits. I was looking forward to hearing how they were going to fit in 'Radio Coventry and Warwickshire' and stretch out 'Tees'

I think its time that the Somerset Sound name was reintroduced with these new jingles.
MA
Markymark
'The Sound of Leicester'? I wonder if they're trying to capitalise on a heritage brand.

I wonder what listeners in the rest of LeicesterSHIRE (and Rutland) will make of that?

It's odd that some BBC LRs when they expanded to 'fill' the county, didn't update their name.

Oxford, Nottingham, Derby, Bristol, Stoke, Newcastle, Leeds[1]

[1] Leeds did attempt to rebrand themselves as 'West Yorkshire FM' about 20 years ago, but the branding police in W1A put a stop to that idea
HT
HTV Best
I'd like to see them fit BBC radio Bristol, Bath and North East Somerset, South Gloucestershire and North Somerset in to a jingle!!!! Reason enough to bring the County of Avon back. 😁
IS
Inspector Sands
I'd like to see them fit BBC radio Bristol, Bath and North East Somerset, South Gloucestershire and North Somerset in to a jingle!!!! Reason enough to bring the County of Avon back. 😁

Of course the two stations named after defunct counties kept their names when their counties were disbanded.
SP
Spencer
'The Sound of Leicester'? I wonder if they're trying to capitalise on a heritage brand.

I wonder what listeners in the rest of LeicesterSHIRE (and Rutland) will make of that?

It's odd that some BBC LRs when they expanded to 'fill' the county, didn't update their name.

Oxford, Nottingham, Derby, Bristol, Stoke, Newcastle, Leeds[1]

[1] Leeds did attempt to rebrand themselves as 'West Yorkshire FM' about 20 years ago, but the branding police in W1A put a stop to that idea

The decision to abandon the West Yorkshire FM name change was actually taken locally. A new Editor started just as the rebrand was about to happen, and he decided that it was too risky a move. It was a very close thing though - I understand a West Yorkshire FM jingle package had even been produced.

You might be thinking of Radio York which did actually rebrand briefly as BBC North Yorkshire. The story goes that they did this without consulting anyone at a higher level in the BBC. Apparently the head of regions was driving in the area and wasn't best pleased when he tuned in to discover that the station name had been changed without his knowledge.
London Lite and Markymark gave kudos
JA
JAS84
I'd like to see them fit BBC radio Bristol, Bath and North East Somerset, South Gloucestershire and North Somerset in to a jingle!!!! Reason enough to bring the County of Avon back.

Of course the two stations named after defunct counties kept their names when their counties were disbanded.

To be fair, Radio Humberside launched BEFORE the county existed. Besides, what else would you call a station serving East Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire?
JV
James Vertigan Founding member

Will we also have "The sound of Dorset, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight" (Solent) and "The sound of Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire" (Three Counties), I wonder? Catchy...

"The sound of Beds, Herts & Bucks" possibly?
PF
PFML84
That almost sounds filthy, and the innuendo is probably something they want to avoid.

Newer posts