TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Spencer
I think I am one of the few who is happy that Oneness is back. I hope that a few more new idents are added. Maybe during the Olympic Games.

I actually do believe the Olympic games idents will have sembelance of effort put in and not just some crowd standing about facing the camera...

Oh wait, that's not Oneness, is it?

Given the World Cup, Oneness style, brought us the Under 7 Footballers idents, my money's on Egg And Spoon Racers for the Olympics.
LY
Lynetwork
I think I am one of the few who is happy that Oneness is back. I hope that a few more new idents are added. Maybe during the Olympic Games.

I actually do believe the Olympic games idents will have sembelance of effort put in and not just some crowd standing about facing the camera...

Oh wait, that's not Oneness, is it?

The Children in Need ident was an improvement - a marginal one, but still an improvement. Hopefully if there are special idents for the Olympics, they will be more like that one.
RD
RDJ
They didn’t even do a special ident in 2012 for London.

So likelihood this year is quite minimal I’d say.
SH
Sh1ruba
RDJ posted:

They did one for Rio 2016 if I recall.
And Two had one for the Sochi 2014 Games.
SW
Steve Williams
RDJ posted:

But given BBC1 was pretty much entirely devoted to the Games, any special ident would have barely been shown so it would probably have been a bit of a waste.

Also, that was eight years ago, and BBC1 has a different controller now.
BR
Brekkie
No rarer really than when they were in Brazil - 3 or 4 screenings a day. I think London 2012 had some breaks within the coverage too rather than handing over from one presenter to the next. More than that though it was the biggest event the BBC had ever coverage and as such should have been marked by presentation.

Anyhow, that's an 8 year old argument from a time when we felt our countries future was bright.
LS
Lou Scannon
I love how the BBC didn't produce special Olympic idents when the UK was hosting the event, but generally do when any other country is hosting it...
:-(
A former member
I love how the BBC didn't produce special Olympic idents when the UK was hosting the event, but generally do when any other country is hosting it...

When would they have been seen?
DV
DVB Cornwall

Because the Network(s) were carrying the event, that was occurring in the same timezone, 24/7 (or it seemed so) so a special ident was somewhat irrelevant.
BR
Brekkie

Because the Network(s) were carrying the event, that was occurring in the same timezone, 24/7 (or it seemed so) so a special ident was somewhat irrelevant.

There were at least 9 points every day where an ident would have been shown, so about 145 opportunities over the games. They've definitely commissioned some special idents which likely aired less than that.
Jeffmister and Lou Scannon gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
I agree that not doing an ident on the basis that there weren’t any junctions is nonsense. There were many junctions, plus Olympic based programming before and after the event that it could have been used for.
Jeffmister, Lou Scannon and Brekkie gave kudos
PF
PFML84
Well, the BBC have made a special trailer end board for Getaways, so if a small travel show can get one, I'm sure a big event like the Olympics can surely get an ident out of it.

Newer posts