The Newsroom

CNN International & Domestic

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
what
what posted:
CNN apparently now isn't even its home country America's news leader, let alone the world's!
Fox gains more viewers in the US, right?

So much for International viewers getting an International perspective on international news. With these US domestic simulcasts, we just get a US perspective...
It's not great for an International channel.

Fox News is the top cable channel for overall viewership with around 1.4m viewers, MSNBC is second with 1.1m, while CNN doesn’t even pass a million anymore (778,000; which places it in 4th overall).

Those ratings are much lower than the most recent prime time figures I can find, perhaps they're the full day averages?:-

Yes.
MA
Meridian AM
I wonder which international channel is the most watched around the world these days: BBC World or CNN International?
Surely these two are more popular globally than Al Jazeera English and RT, etc.?
LL
London Lite Founding member
I wonder which international channel is the most watched around the world these days: BBC World or CNN International?
Surely these two are more popular globally than Al Jazeera English and RT, etc.?

CNNi claims 384m worldwide, BBC World News in 2016/17 had 121m, RT claimed 95m in 2017.
NE
Newsroom

CNNi claims 384m worldwide, BBC World News in 2016/17 had 121m, RT claimed 95m in 2017.

That isn't surprising. I travel extensively and more often than not it'S CNNi that's available in major hotels, not BBC World News. I wish this would change and we were offered more choice, but I guess it's the money that matters with both being commercial channels.
Last edited by Newsroom on 4 January 2020 7:29pm
NE
Newsroom

I think it's safe to say RT is the stuff you scrape off your shoe. Zero relevance in the western world.
IS
Inspector Sands
That isn't surprising. I travel extensively and more often than not it'S CNNi that's available in major hotels,

'and the handles of 400 million petrol pumps across the globe......'

Audience figures for international channels are difficult to get, they can't rely on the big national audience research organisations like BARB or Nielsen because their methodologies are different, and a lot of parts of the world don't have them. Also think about a country like India - massive and the channels might be carried on hundreds of cable suppliers
AJ
AJB39
Worth bearing in mind that Fox News is the only major right leaning news channel in America and therefore hoovers up that audience. MSNBC and CNN USA both broadly lean left but split that audience. Add MSNBC and CNN USA together and they often have a bigger audience the Fox News.
NE
Newsroom
Alex Marquardt for the remainder of the day/night for International viewers is not ideal at all. The fires in Oz far outweigh the implications for Australia tonight.

I’m speaking from a GMT perspective.
NZ
nznewser
I do wonder how the likes of Hala Gorani, Becky Anderson, Quest etc feel about not being allowed to do breaking news coverage even when it's an international, non-UK, news story, these days. It's only the overnight Atlanta CNNI people that get to be on screen during breaking news, because they get to be on CNN US as well.

It's been a non stop simulcast since this news broke, with CNNI overnight taking over for a few hours, and I don't see this ending any time soon....

I've often thought CNNI should have a London based breakfast show in place of "CNN Newsroom" in the 5-9am GMT time slot similar to the old CNN Today that would cater to an international audience and would be able to simulcast to CNNUS as required. Richard Quest and/or Hala Gorani, Bianca Nobilo etc would be able to host that. Quest and Nobilo would be the best ever combo!
MA
Meridian AM
Becky Anderson is currently on CNN International, while Amanpour is on BBC One.
AJ
AJB39
It’s the start of the new working week in the Middle East so Becky Anderson was due to be working today anyway.
NE
Newsroom
AJB39 posted:
It’s the start of the new working week in the Middle East so Becky Anderson was due to be working today anyway.

She was presenting yesterday too.

Newer posts