« Topics
Steve in Pudsey10,701 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
There was a timing screw up on the fireworks tonight. The clock on the news channel, and on my computer screen, went over to 00:00 while they were still counting down. The bongs started about five seconds late!

That's normal, and I dare say five seconds is on a good day and depends on your platform. BBC One HD on Sky is about eight seconds behind "real" time.

If you watched any of the new years celebrations from around the world on Sky News yesterday at the various top of the hours, it becomes apparent just how significant the delays are. Your wall clock says it's 1pm, the Sky News clock ticks over to 1pm about seven seconds later and Sydney continues to count down for another five seconds or so on the pictures after that.

You can measure the delay on BBC 1 and the NC when the sports news from Salford is on. You can just make out the digital gallery clock in the back ground. HD does indeed add another 2-3 seconds

Aren't the regional variants of BBC 1 all delayed with respect to each other on DSat to give the statmuxing a fighting chance? Plus obviously different lengths of circuit for the round trip to each regional centre.
Write that down in your copybook now.
Markymark7,827 posts since 13 Dec 2004 Recently warned
Meridian (North) South Today

That's normal, and I dare say five seconds is on a good day and depends on your platform. BBC One HD on Sky is about eight seconds behind "real" time.

If you watched any of the new years celebrations from around the world on Sky News yesterday at the various top of the hours, it becomes apparent just how significant the delays are. Your wall clock says it's 1pm, the Sky News clock ticks over to 1pm about seven seconds later and Sydney continues to count down for another five seconds or so on the pictures after that.

You can measure the delay on BBC 1 and the NC when the sports news from Salford is on. You can just make out the digital gallery clock in the back ground. HD does indeed add another 2-3 seconds

Aren't the regional variants of BBC 1 all delayed with respect to each other on DSat to give the statmuxing a fighting chance? Plus obviously different lengths of circuit for the round trip to each regional centre.

I don't think any of the BBC contribution and distribution circuits have any significant latency, all the delay is in the emission coding, and your telly/box.
VMPhil10,232 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today
BBC One HD was about eight seconds behind at midnight.

It's no trouble, as the fireworks people light at midnight go off in time with Big Ben hitting midnight on TV!

If anyone else is wondering, as I was before spending ages on Google trying to find the answer, the version of 'Auld Lang Syne' they use every year is a recording by Slade.
Steve in Pudsey10,701 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

I don't think any of the BBC contribution and distribution circuits have any significant latency, all the delay is in the emission coding, and your telly/box.

Apparently it's significant enough that the nations have to offset all of the timings they get from network pres

Write that down in your copybook now.
Neil Jones6,195 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
If anyone else is wondering, as I was before spending ages on Google trying to find the answer, the version of 'Auld Lang Syne' they use every year is a recording by Slade.

Part of their Crackers album released in 1985.

(Remember to thank me (or share the dough) if you go on Pointless, this topic comes up and any of this turns out to be a Pointless answer!) Wink
Inspector Sands14,525 posts since 25 Aug 2004
There was a timing screw up on the fireworks tonight. The clock on the news channel, and on my computer screen, went over to 00:00 while they were still counting down. The bongs started about five seconds late!

Yes, but due to all the encoding and decoding now, live telly as you see it, is roughly about (at least), 5 seconds late.

In this case if the clock was ahead of the bongs then the delay causing that is on the outside source into the BBC. The clock will leave the studio at exactly 12:00 with whatever video is coming in at the time.

Both are then subject to a encoding/distribution
delay between BH and the receiver
Inspector Sands14,525 posts since 25 Aug 2004
If you spend new year with someone who insists that the 12th bong indicates the start of New Year then the timing is even more academic Rolling Eyes

Though of course if you're within earshot of Big Ben there is a significant delay in hearing it bong through the air
Technologist116 posts since 10 Oct 2018
London London

Yes there are delays before the coders ...
but as the interstudio links are all ST 2022-6 there is no significant delay there.
( btw on an commodity MPLS from Aberdeen to goonhilly the delay is only 43ms...
BT M&B IP over optical is faster,!)
Markymark gave kudos
Technologist116 posts since 10 Oct 2018
London London
I cannot see why the nations /regions have to do offset ....
(Even in the analogue days .... however Presfax was in the vbi to be co timed with the signal. )

The delay lies on their output before it goes into the emission coder..
And of course the coder itself ....
So a few seconds plus or minus say two seconds across the statmux