The Newsroom

ITV News

Split from ITV News 2013 Rebrand (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WA
watchingtv
There were no bongs proceeding the strike of midnight. The rest were probably drowned out by the audio they cannot broadcast.
CA
Capybara
RDJ posted:
Whoops. ITV never had audio of the Big Ben bongs for some reason. Midnight entered in silence.

They did, it was just quiet because of all the surrounding sounds from fireworks and the crowd. I could hear them.
MA
Markymark
There were no bongs proceeding the strike of midnight. The rest were probably drowned out by the audio they cannot broadcast.

The fireworks audio was frankly dross (Happy New Year)
JK
JKDerry

If you mean there were no preceding bell chimes which is the usual chimes leading up to the hour, this can not be done as the bells are not functioning due to the refurbishment work, only Big Ben bell is used now during these renovation years for both Remembrance Sunday and New Year's Eve.
CA
Cando

The fireworks audio was frankly dross (Happy New Year)

Pretty sure they don't have acess to the full fireworks and music programme. It's exclusive to the BBC as they pay the very expensive music rights costs on behalf of the Mayor's office for the fireworks show.
JA
JAS84
There was a timing screw up on the fireworks tonight. The clock on the news channel, and on my computer screen, went over to 00:00 while they were still counting down. The bongs started about five seconds late!
JW
JamesWorldNews
This studio somehow looks a lot less virtual than normal. At least in these images anyway.

MA
Markymark
JAS84 posted:
There was a timing screw up on the fireworks tonight. The clock on the news channel, and on my computer screen, went over to 00:00 while they were still counting down. The bongs started about five seconds late!

Yes, but due to all the encoding and decoding now, live telly as you see it, is roughly about (at least), 5 seconds late.

Be glad Amazon haven't bought the rights yet !
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
JAS84 posted:

That's normal, and I dare say five seconds is on a good day and depends on your platform. BBC One HD on Sky is about eight seconds behind "real" time.

If you watched any of the new years celebrations from around the world on Sky News yesterday at the various top of the hours, it becomes apparent just how significant the delays are. Your wall clock says it's 1pm, the Sky News clock ticks over to 1pm about seven seconds later and Sydney continues to count down for another five seconds or so on the pictures after that.
MA
Markymark
JAS84 posted:

That's normal, and I dare say five seconds is on a good day and depends on your platform. BBC One HD on Sky is about eight seconds behind "real" time.

If you watched any of the new years celebrations from around the world on Sky News yesterday at the various top of the hours, it becomes apparent just how significant the delays are. Your wall clock says it's 1pm, the Sky News clock ticks over to 1pm about seven seconds later and Sydney continues to count down for another five seconds or so on the pictures after that.

You can measure the delay on BBC 1 and the NC when the sports news from Salford is on. You can just make out the digital gallery clock in the back ground. HD does indeed add another 2-3 seconds
SW
Steve Williams
Elton John was 2008/9, the year after Take That. BBC1 had a 90 minute New Years Eve party on HMS Belfast hosted by Nick Knowles and Kate Silverton and still won.

https://www.whizzkid.tv/eltons-new-years-eve-party-live-from-the-o2-arena/

Can't remember if it was that year, but...
Host: "Thank you for your performance, what is your new year's resolution?"
Sophie Ellis-Bextor: "Not to work with that soundman again!"

The New Year coverage as we know it now on BBC1 began in 2004/05 which was the first year it went under the New Year Live banner, introduced by Tash Kaplinsk with the fireworks at midnight. I think the first few years were introduced from Somerset House with vox pops, nothing especially complicated. Later in the decade it became a bigger show, I think the earliest it ever started was 10.50 and they had bands in and it was a thing in its own right. But then in the past decade it was slimmed down to just topping and tailing the fireworks, in recent years with the concert around it.

Before 2004/05 we had all kinds of rubbish on New Year's Eve. In fact between the seventies and the nineties the longest-running regular show on New Year's Eve was Clive James who did it for seven years from 1988/89 to 1994/95. Before and after that, pretty much anything went, the last year before the fireworks in 2003/04 BBC1 simulcast the BBC Scotland show (though they were allowed to call it Hogmanay Live that year, when they did it before in 1998/99 it was called New Year Live to much disgust in Scotland).
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Of course the dying minutes of 1992 (on ITV in London at least) was taken up with this:

While from the forum point of view this is where the Thames output finished and Carlton started, its unique from the other point of view that the entire concept of celebrating New Year was fairly low key - a large crowd gathered outside Big Ben to see the chimes and that was pretty much it - and Chris Tarrant having the honour of being the first in-vision presenter on the new station.

The first ten minutes of Carlton's first programme is here if you're interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJxzVsZjQvY

Newer posts