The Newsroom

Al Jazeera English | Refresh 2020

(March 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JW
JamesWorldNews
Does anyone here know what specific time in the evening is AJE's relaunch on the 1st of January?

Correction to my previous incorrect post: 2300hrs GMT is the launch time on 1st January 2020.

Peter Dobbie will be the launch presenter of the refreshed look.
Last edited by JamesWorldNews on 28 December 2019 11:01am
bkman1990 and Justin gave kudos
JW
JamesWorldNews
Tomorrow’s refresh (1st January 2020):

• 2300GMT is Doha’s first bulletin (after London’s broadcast hours), which is why the relaunch is happening at 23G, I guess.

• New straps and fonts (full width of screen, rather than accommodating for 4:3 TV sets)

• New studio which is quite similar to the old one but much fresher and sharper

• New opening titles and music which draw from the basis of the current ones, however are distinctly different in look and sound.

• Peter Dobbie will host the first hours of the new look.
KT
KT4YU
Exciting!

Do we know whether they'll be drawing from AJB? Or is this a completely new look? I assume we'll have to wait and see Very Happy
:-(
A former member
Looking forward to this, though if (as rumoured) the music changes, it will be the end of an era. The current music evokes a lot of travel-related memories for me.
JU
Justin
I hope the music remains in some form or another - it's aged beautifully for being 13 years old.
JW
JamesWorldNews
I hope the music remains in some form or another - it's aged beautifully for being 13 years old.

I suppose there will be heavy elements of the current signature theme.
JW
JamesWorldNews
And also quite fitting that the “old look” (since the launch of the network) will bid its Doha farewell at 1800GMT today in the capable hands of the longest-serving AJE anchor, Kamahl Santamaria. He’s been there since Day One.

Kamahl will hand over to London at 1900GMT for a few hours, before returning to Doha and Peter Dobbie for the new look.
AN
Anglialad

Who did the previous music for the channel because it still sounds amazing even after 13 years?
Brekkie and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
HC
Hatton Cross
David Lowe, I think.
KT
KT4YU
It wasn't David Lowe, I believe it was Tim Rabjohns from Shriek Music... this is all I can find of their internet "footprint" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY2gWc8CU9Q95I7t7N1k44A
Anglialad and Charles gave kudos
AN
Anglialad
David Lowe, I think.

This is what Google says apparently.
Google this: al jazeera theme composer
KT
KT4YU
I'm 99.9% sure it's Shriek. If you open up that David Lowe page and do a find, you'll see no Al Jazeera there. Though if I recall correctly, David did do the music for Al Arabiya.

You can find a reference here under Al Jazeera International (the channel's pre-launch name)
http://www.bdimusic.com/news/41-bdi-weekly-newsletter
Last edited by KT4YU on 1 January 2020 1:24pm

Newer posts