TV Home Forum

The Birth And Growth Of A News Theme

Should Sky News have done the same with their music? (September 2003)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
Should SkyNews have kept their old music and reworked it? Well we may never know now. What may it have sounded like many versions later?This is one of America's most popular, enduring and most recognizable news themes ever. It was first created and aired on the CBS affiliate in Chicago. The signature comes from an old folk song called "Chicago My Home." It's have been reworked many times since the early 70's and still survives today. Not every incarnation is posted but here is a good selection.
First 70's version (ooh how funky)
80's version (Palmer Package)
Late 80s Version (low quality)
Another 90s Version
Late 90's Version
Chicago Version (Still used today - several cuts of package)
Newest Package 2003
I'd like to get you opinions on the package and do you think this could have worked for SkyNews (Maybe not the theme but the idea of reworking their theme)
A former member
SKY News has dropped it's on air identity sound package due to legal reasons, so adapting the music couldn't happen in this instance.

And anyway, I kinda disagree - 5 News have an issue with on air identity - two major relaunches and another coming up in what - 2 years? ITV news always have the recognisable BONG and theme, but we need to remember that the BBC when it relaunched it's broadcast identity for news it was by far the more recognisable, orignal and probably best news theme around. Same with SKY News really, shame...
TV
tvyvr4derek Founding member
Ah... "I love Chicago, Chicago My Home". Kind of neat that it's still around after all these years, and its signature can actually be worked into something modern sounding (unlike the WPVI Action News theme). By the way, that 2003 version you listed had been in use in as early as 1997 on CBS2 LA.

As for Sky News... What legal issues were they? Curious mind wants to know. And as far as the old theme is concerned... Are you talking about Gari's "Great News"? If Sky really wanted to update it, Gari would've done it easily (in fact they did it once). So I guess they just wanted something different sounding anyway.
A former member
Well I'm a little upset that the ITV News theme is being chopped at the next revamp. For me, it's easily the most recognisable news theme on all television and it's survived so many remixes I can't see why they can't rework it.
MA
mark Founding member
I didn't know the ITV News theme was on the way out. Where did you hear that?

As for Sky, they've never seemed to fully grasp the concept of brand recognition. I definitely agree they should have kept and re-worked the original Gari theme music, and they certainly shouldn't keep changing their logo either. CNN's recognisable logo and musical sting have been around for ages, with only a few minor alterations over the years.

Sky's problem is that, in the past, they've been more interested in positioning Sky News as a brand within the Sky portfolio than as a brand in its own right. But now this seems to have changed, with individual channels relaunching at different times and no longer using variations of a single music package, so hopefully they'll be able to establish something a little more permanent.
MD
mdtauk
With UK companies its the name which sticks in the minds of people, rather than the graphical symbols.

In America, these networks have continued using their original symbols, because 1 there are so many local varients of these networks, its hard for people to recognise each. Then americans have short attention spans, hence the quick shots in TV Shows, the flashy OTT animations.

The Quality of programming in the US on the most part is not as Thought Provoking as in the UK, but thats because the level of inteligence of the average person is lower in the US.

The UK is 10 years ahead in terms of design and TV, so I am happy that the presentation in TV is imaginative and progressive here, and that a Channel or Company can be rcognised by name rather than symbols and gimmiks...
MA
mark Founding member
martinDTanderson posted:
The UK is 10 years ahead in terms of design and TV

Would you care to back that one up?!

Quote:
I am happy that the presentation in TV is imaginative and progressive here, and that a Channel or Company can be rcognised by name rather than symbols and gimmiks...

Fair enough, but you can't ignore the fact that a good bit of 'visual' branding is important for any company that wants to establish itself as a household name. And it's certainly not an American phenomenon - Channel 4 has kept the same, familiar logo since day 1, the BBC only change their corporate logo once in a blue moon, and the Channel 4 News theme has been untouched for years.

In TV terms, I think that sticking with one logo and theme demonstrates confidence and stability on the part of the broadcaster. A channel that changes its logo and music every few years looks like a channel with an identity crisis, and one that gives the impression (at least to me) that they're more concerned with style than substance.
NS
NickyS Founding member
chrisb posted:
Well I'm a little upset that the ITV News theme is being chopped at the next revamp. For me, it's easily the most recognisable news theme on all television and it's survived so many remixes I can't see why they can't rework it.

It's interesting though that the current ITV theme is off a production album and that means anyone can use it if they want. Perhaps they want something of their own that other's can't use. Although having said that the same applies to Channel 4 News - the original of which was just off a Bruton LP.
Wonder who SKY used to produce their new music - whether they went back to Gari who they have used before? And are American so may have gone for more piano's etc
MA
mark Founding member
NickyS posted:
It's interesting though that the current ITV theme is off a production album and that means anyone can use it if they want. Perhaps they want something of their own that other's can't use. Although having said that the same applies to Channel 4 News - the original of which was just off a Bruton LP.

Interesting you should mention that, as I was wondering if there are any restrictions on the use of library music. For example, would there (legally) be anything to stop a BBC programme from using the ITV/Channel 4 News music? Obviously it wouldn't be particularly practical, though, as it would look like they just stole someone else's music!

I know I've heard the Channel 4 News music as the bed for a radio ad for car alarms or something in the UK!
NS
NickyS Founding member
mark posted:
NickyS posted:

Interesting you should mention that, as I was wondering if there are any restrictions on the use of library music. For example, would there (legally) be anything to stop a BBC programme from using the ITV/Channel 4 News music? Obviously it wouldn't be particularly practical, though, as it would look like they just stole someone else's music!

I know I've heard the Channel 4 News music as the bed for a radio ad for car alarms or something in the UK!

AFAIK no reason at all as long as they pay the PRS on the music.
MT
MrTomServo
chiguy33 posted:

Just a footnote: this theme (as it is even labelled in the file) is from KCBS-TV (formerly KNXT-TV) Channel 2 Los Angeles . Which makes me wonder why they took a Chicago theme for the music package!

http://homepage.mac.com/robertpalmer/tvforum/sig.gif
PE
peterrocket Founding member
NickyS posted:
mark posted:
NickyS posted:

AFAIK no reason at all as long as they pay the PRS on the music.

If you pay the rights, then you can use it - there's no restriction on what you can actually use the music for.

Interesting to note, the ITN News Channel music has now appeared on a library CD with all it's versions and variations!

Newer posts