TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Costa & Coop p68: Repeats on ITV3: Are there too many spoilers? (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member

I have overscan switched off on my TV, but it only seems to apply to native HD resolution, SD channels (from both the internal tuner, and PVR), are overscanned regardless. That will be a feature of the TV's internal upscaler.

That's for two reasons: firstly disabling overscan is so you can get a 1:1 correspondence between video pixels and TV pixels, which gives a slightly sharper image, which won't happen with an SD source anyway so there's not much point in it. Secondly SD sources should be treated as if they have nominal analogue blanking to get the aspect ratio right, which necessarily means cropping the left and right (and top and bottom sometimes have partial lines which are never meant to be displayed either).

That interpretation does vary from TV to TV (or manufacturer to manufacturer). Some have 1:1 pixel options (which only work at panel resolution - or 2:1 multiples thereof - so 1920x1080 is 2:1 matched on a 3840x2160 display along with 1:1 matched 3840x2160, but 1280x720, 702x576 are cropped and zoomed) others have zero overscan options which work in all modes.

if you have a Sky, Freesat or Freeview HD box you can often get your set top box to output 576i stuff at 1080i/p so then 1:1 match this and avoid overscan too (though a Sky HD box will not aspect switch as it would if it was in AUTO mode and output 576i as 576p with aspect flags)
JB
JasonB
Has Norris Cole made his first appearance on the ITV 3 episodes yet?
NW
nwtv2003
Has Norris Cole made his first appearance on the ITV 3 episodes yet?

A few weeks ago he was in a number of episodes. I believe he’s out of it for a while now.
JW
JamesWorldNews
I just saw him last night (Malcolm Hebden) appearing as a Spanish character called Carlos. He was in Alf Roberts’ shop buying chocolates for Mavis, I think.
PH
Philheybrookbay
That would have been Christmas 1974, after the Majorca holiday.

Different actor in Majorca obviously, but back then nobody would have thought they'd be released on VHS then DVD to spot the difference
MU
Multi
The Carlos character was unrelated to the Majorca trip.
JW
JamesWorldNews
It seems Corrie is famed for having the same actors playing multiple parts over the years, and not just Malcolm as Carlos/Norris as noted above.

I’ve now reached May1984 and a new character enters. June Dewhurst played by Beverley Sowden, who is in actual fact better known nowadays as Beverley

1984 seems to have been a bad year for The Street, with the exit (voluntary or involuntary) of many iconic characters.

Elsie Tanner, Eddie Yeats, Albert Tatlock, Stan Ogden, Fred Gee and Mrs. Walker have all gone.

There’s a noticeable change in gear around May 1984, with a feeling of hastily concocted stories and a sudden ending to existing storylines.
JA
james-2001
It's common in plenty of long running shows to have actors playing multiple characters. In the Drama episodes of EastEnders we've just seen Shirley Carter appear as someone else.
SP
Spencer
I’m sure I remember reading that Roy Barraclough held the record for playing the highest number of different characters for one actor - five, if I remember correctly.
MU
Multi

1984 seems to have been a bad year for The Street, with the exit (voluntary or involuntary) of many iconic characters.

Elsie Tanner, Eddie Yeats, Albert Tatlock, Stan Ogden, Fred Gee and Mrs. Walker have all gone.

There’s a noticeable change in gear around May 1984, with a feeling of hastily concocted stories and a sudden ending to existing storylines.

Daran Little referenced this on Twitter recently
AN
Andrew Founding member
New look Underworld tonight, and unlike usual, it looks completely different.

I wonder if the new set would actually fit into the same space and layout as the old one, or whether they’ve just done a completely new layout.
JA
james-2001
I still remember when it magically sprouted an upper floor even though there'd been no room for one at all in the previous set.

Newer posts