The Newsroom

Changes to BBC Parliament & Political Programming

(July 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member

Footage of Parliament has been removed from the UK version of a few episodes

Yes in fact they've made different versions of the programme for the UK because they can't show the footage.

What an utterly nonsensical, illiberal, and even vaguely repressive policy.

You don't remember when coverage of Parliament was sound only do you? It took a lot of effort to get cameras in there in the first place...

There were, and are, very real concerns that video footage of parliamentary proceedings could be edited and used to misrepresent the proceedings in the houses. The rules that broadcasters have to follow with regard to editing and modification of the footage are still quite strict to ensure that viewers are not misled.

In an era of fake news - this may not be such a bad thing...
WW
WW Update
Yes in fact they've made different versions of the programme for the UK because they can't show the footage.

What an utterly nonsensical, illiberal, and even vaguely repressive policy.

You don't remember when coverage of Parliament was sound only do you? It took a lot of effort to get cameras in there in the first place...

There were, and are, very real concerns that video footage of parliamentary proceedings could be edited and used to misrepresent the proceedings in the houses. The rules that broadcasters have to follow with regard to editing and modification of the footage are still quite strict to ensure that viewers are not misled.

In an era of fake news - this may not be such a bad thing...

As far as I know, the UK is the only democracy, in Europe or elsewhere, with such an absurd policy. (When one is curious whether some policy makes sense or not, it's usually a good idea to do a quick transnational comparison.) Yes, parliamentary footage could be misrepresented, but so could any other political footage, regardless of where it was taken. To claim that such legislation leads to a reduction to "fake news" is not supported by any evidence whatsoever and, frankly, doesn't even pass the smell test.

A complete ban of broadcasting from a certain place could at least be justified, but prohibiting the use of parliamentary footage for satirical purposes while allowing it for news is a near-perfect example of a chilling effect, and considering the long tradition of political satire in the UK, even un-British. Satire is vital element of the democratic exchange and to stifle it -- even slightly! -- in the name of neo-Victorian propriety and order makes zero sense. After all, MPs are chosen by the people to act as their representatives; why should the same people who elect them face restrictions if they decide to comment satirically on their actions while using footage of those actions as evidence?
Last edited by WW Update on 10 November 2019 3:45am - 3 times in total

36 days later

LL
London Lite Founding member
Already mentioned on other threads that Sunday Politics is being rebranded and some of the existing presenters are leaving including Elizabeth Glinka and Patrick Burns.

The new name is Politics (add region name here)

Lou Scannon and W1LL gave kudos
WL
W1LL
Already mentioned on other threads that Sunday Politics is being rebranded and some of the existing presenters are leaving including Elizabeth Glinka and Patrick Burns.

The new name is Politics (add region name here)

That's an odd name for an odd region. Assume its meant to be a play on Look North, South Lincolnshire is hardly North.
MA
Meridian AM
I've always found it odd that people in Lincolnshire don't seem to mind watching northern regional news. As you say, they are hardly in 'The North'.
Surely people south of Lincoln city consider themselves as part of the English Midlands? Lincolnshire in the East Midlands, politically and geographically.
LL
I wouldn't be surprised if the NE&C edition is also called Politics North, as they already do with Look North.
LL
I've always found it odd that people in Lincolnshire don't seem to mind watching northern regional news. As you say, they are hardly in 'The North'.
Surely people south of Lincoln city consider themselves as part of the English Midlands? Lincolnshire in the East Midlands, politically and geographically.

Lincs has always been an oddity. Some people are aligned with the East Midlands, those towns to the south to the East and in NE Lincs to 'Ull, but it comes down to the mighty Belmont transmitter.

The ITV region for Hull and Lincs used to be Anglia until 1974.
LS
Lou Scannon
I was always gobsmacked that the Sunday Politics branding ever outlasted the Daily Politics.

Surely giving the Sunday regional shows the same general look & feel as what is now Politics Live on weekdays should have happened simultaneously? Rolling Eyes

I'm thankful that common sense *finally* prevailed, mind.

I'd have thought they'd go for a blanket name (e.g. "Politics Weekly") with the region name as a suffix in smaller text beneath the main logo (just as with the current Sunday Politics branding).
MA
Markymark

Up until 1969 their local BBC News came from Manchester!
MA
Meridian AM

Wow!

Well, I have that kind of situation now in Southampton.
On my regional news I am likely to hear news about anywhere from Weymouth to Banbury!
Just watching the Meridian South and BBC South weather forecast maps shows how not local the services are!
The huge size of this region is even more noticeable at weekends when there is no Oxford opt out.
LL

Wow!

Well, I have that kind of situation now in Southampton.
On my regional news I am likely to hear news about anywhere from Weymouth to Banbury!
Just watching the Meridian South and BBC South weather forecast maps shows how not local the services are!
The huge size of this region is even more noticeable at weekends when there is no Oxford opt out.

The joys of carving up the old BBC South East region which used to be from Banbury to Dover with London in the middle which led to places like Silverstone getting London-centric news while Banbury had news from Southampton. Oxfordshire has had upheaval from ITV as well, losing their former Central South opt for the ITV Thames Valley operation which is now a small opt as part of ITV Meridian.
BR
Brekkie
Quite surprised they're putting the regional name in the programme title considering the convention now is to have regional content under a national brand.

Newer posts