The Newsroom

Election Night Results 2019: Presentation and Coverage

(December 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
dvboy
JAS84 posted:
It was either going to be Alternative coverage, or normal programming. The problem is, the producers apparently hired talent based on a Labour win - and their material became unusable when it was clear that the Tories would win as soon as the exit poll was revealed.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. The polls suggested for a long time that a Labour win was extremely unlikely and a hung parliament not far off that. Satirical comedy has long been seen as left wing in both content and audience, and they had no problems with yesterday's episodes of Have I Got News For You and Dead Ringers on Radio 4 which were both brilliant.
MA
Markymark
The jib shots used yesterday in Downing Street. I think these are a pooled feed made available to the broadcasters? I noticed yesterday both BBC and ITV using a moving shot from it as part of their on site pres. Was the jib operator under the direction from the appropriate director for those shots?
LL
London Lite Founding member
When BBC Scotland can put out a punchier product on a fraction of the budget, that says it all really.
MA
mapperuo
The jib shots used yesterday in Downing Street. I think these are a pooled feed made available to the broadcasters? I noticed yesterday both BBC and ITV using a moving shot from it as part of their on site pres. Was the jib operator under the direction from the appropriate director for those shots?

Not sure the answer to your question but it’s Neon Broadcast who usually park a small OB truck round the back and handle the pool feed for things like this.
LL
Just to show up Network even more, the election titles on Reporting Scotland yesterday afternoon.

Anglialad, richard h and BBI45 gave kudos
HA
harshy Founding member
The graphics design team in Scotland seem to be making better graphics then they are down in London, however they didn’t absolutely nail the lower thirds the flipper was too opaque at one point it has test text on it saying this is the flipper no dolphins were involved Very Happy but it was very close to the official version, bbc Wales has bbc election 2019 the election 2019 was in bold when it wasn’t on the English or Scottish versions.
CU
Cusack
The BBC Scotland set up was more impressive than the London Network studio. The fact that the map was VR in Scotland looked a lot better than the silly map outside NBH.

The only thing from the video of the Scottish opening that was a let down was the section around the announcement of the Exit Poll. Lots of pausing and then just one chime from a clock.
BM
BM11
Well their is a fair chance come 2024 the BBC election night will be different simply because the BBC's funding model might well be different or soon to be different.
Ditto the ownership and PSB requirements of channel four.
Last edited by BM11 on 15 December 2019 2:47pm - 2 times in total
BR
Brekkie
That's what happens when you vote for 5 more years of Oneness.
GE
thegeek Founding member
That's what happens when you vote for 5 more years of Oneness.

I think the term is 'One Nation Conservatism'.
RK
Rkolsen
The BBC Scotland set up was more impressive than the London Network studio. The fact that the map was VR in Scotland looked a lot better than the silly map outside NBH.

The only thing from the video of the Scottish opening that was a let down was the section around the announcement of the Exit Poll. Lots of pausing and then just one chime from a clock.

I imagine it’s because the Pacific Quays HQ was likely designed with the fact that anywhere could be a studio.
LL
Noticed on my BBC One HD recording on Friday morning that when the regions did their opt-out at 6.30, HD had another pointless news bulletin with Louise Minchin, with no warning to switch to the SD variant in England.

Newer posts