The Gallery

On The Weekend

A brand new ITV morning show with anything from live debates to celeb interviews. (December 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
OA
Owen A
This is my first 'new programme' concept mock. Hope this goes down better than my previous mock Smile

'On The Weekend' is a brand new LIVE morning show on Saturdays and Sundays from 8 - 9am, shown on ITV. The show will be hosted by two GMB presenters, rotating every week. The show is of similar format to Good Morning Britain, however less focused on news (except for breaking news) and includes celebrity interviews and also something GMB is well-known for, debates. Also in the set there will be an area for music performances from artists too.

The show will be filmed at Television Centre in TC2 meaning in summer outside filming would be possible. As for graphics, I aimed for a turquoise, blue-y colour scheme, which still has similarities with the GMB lower 3rds, but without the 'news programme' feel.

P.S. Apologies that my graphics are only still images, I'm not great at motion graphics.

The main logo:

The lower thirds:

Live interviews when guest not in studio:

Today's show (the black background would be video from the studio):
Last edited by Owen A on 13 December 2019 7:30pm - 2 times in total
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I would argue the colours are depressing, your choice of font is questionable at best and why is everything so big? Your "lower thirds" (second image) looks disjointed (probably because there's a big gap as your hashtag is so long) and if you are going to have a clock, at least keep it in the same place, I can tell just by looking at it in the 2nd and 4th image it's in an entirely different position each time.
DW
DavidWhitfield
Interesting.

Some critique for you, given to help you to improve, not to nit-pick.

Think about the text size. You use large text which is very close together. I understand that's rather the style you've gone for, but it can cause issues.

On the split screen graphic, for example, The descender on the 'y' in 'Media City' could easily clash with the lower text if the 'y' lined up so that it appeared above a capital or a letter with an ascender, e.g. d, k, l, etc. Also, 'Media City, Salford' is quite a short location when split over two lines, however, this takes up 90% of the available space. What if the guest is in Southampton or Middlesbrough? You need to think of every possibility instead of putting a template text in and seeing that it works and leaving it be. Test the graphics you create out with different information, long, short, lots of ascenders, lots of descenders, numbers, letters with accents, symbols, etc to make sure that it looks good and works well whatever the text.

For what it's worth, I like the 'part-sun' logo and I think the shade of blue/green you've chosen is pleasing to the eye and suitable for a morning show.

Hope you find this helpful, Owen.
TV
TVLand
I like it, I really do. There is potential for this to be a great mock.

However, I do agree with David on the text size, it is way to large. It doesn’t have to be very big, as long as it’s readable in SD or on a mobile device that should be big enough.

Also, I don’t see the need for the massive “LIVE NOW” on the lower thirds. It takes up way too much space and limits how much text you can put on the screen.

I really like logo you’ve used, it’s very appealing and works extremely well with the colour scheme you’ve chosen.

Well done! I look forward to seeing this mock develop!

3/5
OA
Owen A
Thanks for all the great feedback! I have now created a second version of this mock.

For the lower thirds, I tried to make them look less "disjointed" by removing the unnecessary "LIVE NOW" and adding the topic instead, e.g. "Showbiz". The hashtag has also been removed and replaced with a more informative "COMING UP" box and then the next segment of the programme. I personally think this looks a lot neater and some unnecessary elements are gone.

I have revamped the split screen image, and removed the massive boxes which didn't work very well, and now the new lower thirds have moved there, and the location name is now above the split screen (and is all on one line as suggested)

Also, I have slightly adjusted the "TODAY'S SHOW" slide by keeping the location of the clock in the same place as it would be with lower thirds and have also made the colour of it a bit brighter. I also fine tuned the times next to the show items by adding a small white outline and making the gradient more visible. Additionally, I decided to keep the text weight of all the items the same and I feel it's easier to read and looks neater.

Hope you like and can't wait for feedback Smile
Last edited by Owen A on 14 December 2019 10:14am
DO
dosxuk
Why does every piece of text exactly fit every box, which then fills all the available space?
TG
Tim Goodwin1
like the mock and the idea for the show
RT
TheRealThomanory
I could argue that the graphics could be a bit too big but overall I really like this idea!
TV
TVLand
This is certainly an improvement on the original.

One small piece of advice though, instead of putting the studio feed behind the "TODAY'S SHOW" menu I would make it smaller, move it to the side and have a SOT beside them and add a background to it (the one from the Split Screen would do just fine). So, this would mean when the slide comes up, an image or video of Roman Kemp would appear beside the menu while the presenters mention the item. then when they mention the Dua Lipa performance, a clip from one of her music videos would appear beside it.

This isn't a must, but if you were maybe able to animate all of these in a video so fellow forumers would be able to see how the graphics would appear on screen, that would be amazing!

I hope you catch my drift, I'm not the best at explaining these things!

Great work overall, I love this idea.
DK
DanielK
This is certainly an improvement on the original.

One small piece of advice though, instead of putting the studio feed behind the "TODAY'S SHOW" menu I would make it smaller, move it to the side and have a SOT beside them and add a background to it (the one from the Split Screen would do just fine). So, this would mean when the slide comes up, an image or video of Roman Kemp would appear beside the menu while the presenters mention the item. then when they mention the Dua Lipa performance, a clip from one of her music videos would appear beside it.

This isn't a must, but if you were maybe able to animate all of these in a video so fellow forumers would be able to see how the graphics would appear on screen, that would be amazing!

I hope you catch my drift, I'm not the best at explaining these things!

Great work overall, I love this idea.

Just FYI, that isn't a SOT - SOT stands for Sound on Tape.
DM
DeMarkay
I like it, but it’s too cyan/turquoise heavy.
RH
richard h
Thanks for all the great feedback! I have now created a second version of this mock.

For the lower thirds, I tried to make them look less "disjointed" by removing the unnecessary "LIVE NOW" and adding the topic instead, e.g. "Showbiz". The hashtag has also been removed and replaced with a more informative "COMING UP" box and then the next segment of the programme. I personally think this looks a lot neater and some unnecessary elements are gone.

I have revamped the split screen image, and removed the massive boxes which didn't work very well, and now the new lower thirds have moved there, and the location name is now above the split screen (and is all on one line as suggested)

Also, I have slightly adjusted the "TODAY'S SHOW" slide by keeping the location of the clock in the same place as it would be with lower thirds and have also made the colour of it a bit brighter. I also fine tuned the times next to the show items by adding a small white outline and making the gradient more visible. Additionally, I decided to keep the text weight of all the items the same and I feel it's easier to read and looks neater.

Hope you like and can't wait for feedback Smile

Few little things to make it look better
The coming up text is hard to read, the times on the today's show menu are hard to read and they do not line up properly with the other boxes. the top block is a little bit too low down the middle one is central and the bottom one is slightly too high up. The text in the menu is also not centrally positioned in each of the blocks

One big problem this design has as pointed out above is you have made the boxes the length of the text but what happens when you have a coming up that is longer than the best xmas offers? will it be squished to fit the box as you would then have very little room for the main strap info next to it if not. same thing generally for everything else what happens if you have something that is longer than showbiz will that get squished into the box, made into a smaller font or will the box expand to fit it in?

Do the graphics stay in the center of the screen throughout or would they get pushed further and further to the edge of the screen if you had more text in any of the blocks? It could get annoying seeing the clock constantly moving with different length straps pushing it out to the edge of the screen and then a shorter info strap placing it back in the center of the screen.

The little sunrise logo next to the clock on the split screen is not as tall as the blocks either side of it

Newer posts