The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GE
thegeek Founding member
RDJ posted:
There’s a new overhead camera in the newsroom providing cross-directional images of the newsroom. Similar to sports stadium cameras for Rugby and Football matches.

That seems rather an elaborate creation just for the election, when they already have 'trundle cam' for the newsroom.

I'd be very surprised if it was a permanent feature. Such things are normally hired in, as are the operators, as they are potentially lethal devices. In other words, very expensive to maintain and operate.

I heard a five figure sum quoted for hiring one for a football match - I'm not sure if the price goes down for a simpler rig like in a newsroom...
DO
dosxuk
That seems rather an elaborate creation just for the election, when they already have 'trundle cam' for the newsroom.

I'd be very surprised if it was a permanent feature. Such things are normally hired in, as are the operators, as they are potentially lethal devices. In other words, very expensive to maintain and operate.

I heard a five figure sum quoted for hiring one for a football match - I'm not sure if the price goes down for a simpler rig like in a newsroom...

1D back and forth is a whole lot cheaper than the normal 3D set up used on football though. Still a significant expense though, but then there's a lot less money needing to be spent on the studio side of things with not using Elstree.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Possibly although it's a snap election that wouldn't have been budgeted for, so likely a restricted pot of money available?
JO
Joe
Don’t know why people keep thinking this election wouldn’t have been budgeted for. Anybody vaguely interested in politics would think it wise to at least pop a contingency line in for one since 2017.

Plus I don’t think it quite works like that…
SP
Steve in Pudsey
There would always be a contingency budget but that's different to knowing there's a definite one due
PE
peterrocket Founding member
There would always be a contingency budget but that's different to knowing there's a definite one due

True. But remember they also had a set of EU elections in May they weren’t expecting either...
MO
Moz
Has anything come from E since last night? Notice Jane Hill was still up on the balcony for the “other news” just then on the Ten.

Are the using the opportunity to do some maintenance?
RN
Rolling News
Moz posted:
Has anything come from E since last night? Notice Jane Hill was still up on the balcony for the “other news” just then on the Ten.

Are the using the opportunity to do some maintenance?

Yes, Jane was in E for the One this lunchtime.
OW
Owen_ploc
This slide just aired on Newsroom Live... It looks like it was literally made in PowerPoint. Shocked

Jesus Christ.. How did this go on air?
SS
SuperSajuuk
I haven't been able to see a lot of weather forecasts in the early morning for the last many months, but do any of them even come from Studio J, the balcony screen, any more? Or are they always either in front of the green-screen or in Studio C/E (News at Five, other bulletins) now? If so, it's a shame that the balcony studio can't seem to handle displaying the weather graphics any more, I always liked it when the presenter would say "let's cross the newsroom to <x> for the weather", but that seems to be just a thing of the past.
DO
dosxuk
it's a shame that the balcony studio can't seem to handle displaying the weather graphics any more

What makes you think that? It's as much a leap as going, it's rainy outside, why doesn't the sun doesn't exist any more?
Brekkie and bilky asko gave kudos
JF
JF World News
At the end of Sunday Politics West, they said they would be Reithed in January

Newer posts