The Newsroom

2019 General Christmas election.

12th December: NO drama just presentation. (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Moz
Getting back to presentation - Sky's VR stuff looks really crisp, while BBC seem to be using the same graphics from like...the last 20 years? The House of Commons is like PS2 era graphics at this point. Just a small bummer that they haven't upgraded much.

Well it looks like heโ€™s actually in the House of Commons to me - not sure how it can be improved. No idea what PS2 graphics look like having never played on any sort of game console ever - it seems from your comment they are better than reality nowadays! ๐Ÿ˜‚
TI
TIGHazard
Moz posted:
Getting back to presentation - Sky's VR stuff looks really crisp, while BBC seem to be using the same graphics from like...the last 20 years? The House of Commons is like PS2 era graphics at this point. Just a small bummer that they haven't upgraded much.

Well it looks like heโ€™s actually in the House of Commons to me - not sure how it can be improved. No idea what PS2 graphics look like having never played on any sort of game console ever - it seems from your comment they are better than reality nowadays! ๐Ÿ˜‚

The PS2 is 20 years old at this point Moz, it looks terrible.

If you want an example, it looks like these graphics at 3 minutes into this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fz6OdDZhT0

So Chipper clearly has a lot of hyperbole there.
DE
deejay
A look behind the scenes at the election hub at Elstree:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50743123
JB
JasonB
I see Jeremy Vine's been dancing around the green screen already. Strictly 2020 here he comes!
BR
Brekkie
He's done Strictly already and it seriously went to his head.

Can't just be me who finds him to be one of the most annoying blokes in broadcasting?
Rkolsen, msim and Markymark gave kudos
DV
DVB Cornwall
His obsession with Bicycles, and the accompanying mantras connected there with, has become tideous. In turn that tideom spreads easily into other areas of his professional life.
MA
Markymark
His obsession with Bicycles, and the accompanying mantras connected there with, has become tideous. In turn that tideom spreads easily into other areas of his professional life.

Although his autobiography is a good read, I enjoyed that.

Best story in there was a very long question he shouted at Tony Blair. Alastair Campbell, grabbed hold of him, and said; "Oi ! Tony's come here to make a speech, not fcuking listen to one ! "
MA
mapperuo
A look behind the scenes at the election hub at Elstree:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50743123

That was pretty informative! Looks like they have a main room at Elstree and then 2 sub hubs called 'Hub North' and 'Hub South' which feed into the main hub, then onto NBH.
BR
Brekkie
Notice the BBC Wales and S4C shows are being simulcast on Radio Wales and Radio Cymru respectively. Is that a regular thing or sign of cost cutting? Wouldn't think the graphics segments would work to well on radio.

Would have been nice if they could showcase their new home for this election but I guess that isn't the case.
WI
william Founding member
Apologies if this is stating the obvious, so the decision to not use Elstree D is because it's occupied by Strictly or something, rather than general cost cutting?

Has anyone hinted that it's only temporary and they'd like to go back there - how long a lease do Studioworks have?
BR
Brekkie
I think it is a bit of both - isn't Strictly occupying the studio but has been the suggestion the plan was always to do the next election from broadcasting house.

Other notes about coverage but as has become the norm BBC Parliament will show the BBC Scotland coverage tonight, and then rerun the BBC Wales and BBC NI coverage tomorrow.

Radio 4 has James Naughtie and Emma Barnett from 9.45pm, simulcast on 5 Live from midnight (not sure why not throughout). Presumably BBC Local Radio will take that as well, and I'd have thought World Service. Do Radio 1/2 add news bulletins on election night?

And interestingly LBC are streaming their coverage in HD video on the Global Player, hosted by Iain Dale and Shelagh Fogarty with Martin Stanford in an augmented reality studio.
Last edited by Brekkie on 12 December 2019 8:13pm - 2 times in total
SP
Steve in Pudsey
No. Strictly uses the George Lucas stage.

Newer posts