TV Home Forum

The Crystal Maze

New series... and a new zone (May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
JAS84 posted:
I don't see why they wouldn't get the crystal, as contestants here get that, win or lose.

It remains to be seen but this is for an American network. American networks aren't into giving away memorabilia like that, they seem to prefer handing out great wads of cash instead to their contestants with a sponsor name stuck on it. Whereas a contestant over here is happy to walk away with the experience and the crystal, that doesn't happen on American TV.
BR
Brekkie
On the flip side though US shows don't like contestants to go home empty handed.
MO
Mouseboy33
Well I hardly think you'd expect parents to put their children on a plane to a foreign country and fly halfway around to the world just to win a piece of glass.
IN
Interceptor
Well I hardly think you'd expect parents to put their children on a plane to a foreign country and fly halfway around to the world just to win a piece of glass.

You're right. It'll never work over there.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
JAS84 posted:
I don't see why they wouldn't get the crystal, as contestants here get that, win or lose.

It remains to be seen but this is for an American network. American networks aren't into giving away memorabilia like that, they seem to prefer handing out great wads of cash instead to their contestants with a sponsor name stuck on it. Whereas a contestant over here is happy to walk away with the experience and the crystal, that doesn't happen on American TV.

Which is remarkable as gameshow prizes are taxable in the US.
NJ
JAS84 posted:

Indeed, a very quick Google takes me to Forbes which suggests the tax rate at the IRS is anything up to 37% at a federal/national level. Its classed as income, apparently. So that $25k if you win the Maze assuming you pay the full 37% only leaves you with $15,750. Some states would tax you as well (it says here) at on average 12% so I wouldn't be surprised if you win the lottery or a few thousand on Price is Right or whatever you're doing well if you get to keep anywhere near half of it! Wow!
CH
chinamug
Even if you're given Memorabilia instead of a prize, that's taxed as well if the IRS think it's worth more than a certain amount. There's that story of people getting unexpected tax bills because they were given a Car by Oprah.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/you-get-a-car-oprah-winfrey-giveaway-studio-audience-gift-tax-members-guests-pay-show-a8208051.html

It would be gutting to win a Crystal (or a Countdown teapot) and have to pay tax on it. Shocked
TI
TIGHazard

Indeed, a very quick Google takes me to Forbes which suggests the tax rate at the IRS is anything up to 37% at a federal/national level. Its classed as income, apparently. So that $25k if you win the Maze assuming you pay the full 37% only leaves you with $15,750. Some states would tax you as well (it says here) at on average 12% so I wouldn't be surprised if you win the lottery or a few thousand on Price is Right or whatever you're doing well if you get to keep anywhere near half of it! Wow!

I don't know if anyone here has ever been interested in googling "what happens when you win the lottery?" but nearly all the articles are written from an american perspective, and tell you to do things like "hire a lawyer to set a trust who will purchase the ticket from you and then claim it on your behalf, allowing you to pay low to no taxes on the winnings and it will keep you anonymous unlike claiming as a person which will be printed automatically in the local newspapers".

Of course, completely useless advice for our lottery, as you pay no taxes on winnings and you don't have to do the National Lottery publicity if you don't want to.
NJ
I suppose it could be argued that although you pay no tax on it at the point of winning £20m, if you give £10m of it to your grown up children and you then get run over by a bus the next day, the seven year rule for inheritance tax applies at something like 40%. So that winning (or a portion of it) did get taxed indirectly.

Ultimately though come what may all money ends up in the government coffers somewhere down the line, thanks to the common law of Bona vacantia - If no heirs to an estate can be found then the assets are realised and the balance is transferred to HM Treasury - and the rise of services as highlighted on the BBC's Heir Hunters and similar tend to get involved first.
IS
Inspector Sands

Indeed, a very quick Google takes me to Forbes which suggests the tax rate at the IRS is anything up to 37% at a federal/national level. Its classed as income, apparently. So that $25k if you win the Maze assuming you pay the full 37% only leaves you with $15,750. Some states would tax you as well (it says here) at on average 12%

Is that the state you earn it in, or the one you live in?
AN
Andrew Founding member
First look at the American family version, starting on Nickelodeon in January. Of course with being filmed in Bristol it doesn't look that different and uses the majority of the games we've seen here, but I have to admit that I think the design used at the end of the clip looks a lot better than ours.

Is that relatively rare that Americans come here to film on one of our sets, rather than one of our productions being filmed elsewhere (most recently with The Wall)
JO
Josh
First look at the American family version, starting on Nickelodeon in January. Of course with being filmed in Bristol it doesn't look that different and uses the majority of the games we've seen here, but I have to admit that I think the design used at the end of the clip looks a lot better than ours.

Is that relatively rare that Americans come here to film on one of our sets, rather than one of our productions being filmed elsewhere (most recently with The Wall)

It's becoming a common occurence as of late with this and now The Circle.

Newer posts