TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2021 - Netherlands - NPO/AVROTROS/NOS

Ahoy Arena - Rotterdam - 18/20/22 May 2021 (May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TI
tightrope78
AxG posted:
They’ll be announcing the winner before the year’s out.

Slogan, theme, stage and presenters, all announced in the space of about a month. Don't think I've ever known a Eurovision host ever be this prepared!

The Portuguese were very advanced in planning the 2018 contest. All seemed well until the ticket sales and then the actual contest. Lisbon was either woefully underprepared for the contest or simply didn’t care. The reality was likely the latter. The city, and its people, had absolutely no interest in the contest and this showed in their attitude towards fans etc.
SH
Sh1ruba
AxG posted:
They’ll be announcing the winner before the year’s out.

Slogan, theme, stage and presenters, all announced in the space of about a month. Don't think I've ever known a Eurovision host ever be this prepared!

The Portuguese were very advanced in planning the 2018 contest. All seemed well until the ticket sales and then the actual contest. Lisbon was either woefully underprepared for the contest or simply didn’t care. The reality was likely the latter. The city, and its people, had absolutely no interest in the contest and this showed in their attitude towards fans etc.

Which I think is a shame as Portugal was one of the best hosts since Sweden 2016 until this happened...

Hopefully, the Netherlands will be one of the more enthuisiastic hosts than Portugal were. They seem very excited that the contest is back in their country since 1980 and it shows in their fast preparation.
Who knows, Sweden 2016 may have a competitor for "Best Eurovision Hosts" at this rate. Then again, we're on a new decade so Netherlands may take that title of Best Eurovision Host of the 2020s. Unless Sweden wins again and hosts it.
LI
Lieuwe
Ticket sales start on December 12. They will only be sold by name and a maximum of 4 tickets at a time.
BH
BillyH Founding member
Not all prices have been confirmed yet, but despite being lower than last year (thank god) it’s still a huge jump in price from Lisbon 2018 and before - the semi final tickets are about what the grand final tickets used to cost, and the grand final tickets are double their pre-2019 levels.

With the cheapest accommodation in Rotterdam already charging three figures on the night of the contest (I had a private room in Kiev 2017 for a few quid) this is going to be something of a challenge to afford, even if I’m lucky with tickets.
GO
gottago
Not all prices have been confirmed yet, but despite being lower than last year (thank god) it’s still a huge jump in price from Lisbon 2018 and before - the semi final tickets are about what the grand final tickets used to cost, and the grand final tickets are double their pre-2019 levels.

With the cheapest accommodation in Rotterdam already charging three figures on the night of the contest (I had a private room in Kiev 2017 for a few quid) this is going to be something of a challenge to afford, even if I’m lucky with tickets.

I've got a deposit on somewhere in Amsterdam. The trains run all night between the two cities and I can imagine a lot of people will be staying there.
DI
digipal
Great that they're finally clamping down: nothing more depressing than not getting a ticket and then seeing them onsale within seconds at 10 times the value on resale sites
BR
Brekkie
Random thought but has there ever been any movement towards a Christmas Eurovision Song Contest, you know, just in case the one in May wasn't camp enough already. Very Happy
Last edited by Brekkie on 7 December 2019 9:04pm
DV
DVB Cornwall
The idea of moving it to September was mooted a while back, to enable broadcasters to use outside events as their National Finals, think 'Allsang pa Skansen' on speed, didn't take off due to Football coverage in September.
JO
Jon
Random thought but has there ever been any movement towards a Christmas Eurovision Song Contest, you know, just in case the one in May wasn't camp enough alreayd. Very Happy

I think that’s a really interesting idea and surprised it hasn’t been thought of before. Maybe a more informal scaled down pre-recorded Christmas special, a bit like Strictly at Christmas, so broadcasters can slot it in when it suits their markets. Might not play too well in non-Christian countries, but they don’t have to take the contest of course.
LI
Lieuwe
Jon posted:
Random thought but has there ever been any movement towards a Christmas Eurovision Song Contest, you know, just in case the one in May wasn't camp enough alreayd. Very Happy

I think that’s a really interesting idea and surprised it hasn’t been thought of before. Maybe a more informal scaled down pre-recorded Christmas special, a bit like Strictly at Christmas, so broadcasters can slot it in when it suits their markets. Might not play too well in non-Christian countries, but they don’t have to take the contest of course.

On 15 december there is a big Eurovision Party in Amsterdam (Ziggo Dome) and will be broadcasted on Dutch tv in the evening of January 1st. Edsilia Rombley host it together with Cornald Maas . These 'artists' come to perform:

Johnny Logan, Loreen, Katrina and the Waves, Ruslana, The Olsen Brothers, Dana International, Izhar Cohen, Dima Bilan, Sandra Kim, Nicole, Eimear Quinn, Anne Marie David, Emmelie de Forest, Ell & Nikki, Charlotte Perrelli, Teach-In, Linda Martin, Verka Serduchka, Netta Barzilai, Eleni Foureira.
And from this years Eurovision: Mahmood, Segey Lazarev, Keiino, Serhat.
LI
Lieuwe
Today, the NPO revealed the postcard concept:

Quote:
2020 postcard concept revealed as Dutch people can join in on the fun

The organization of the Eurovision Song Contest 2020 asks Dutch people to apply with their sports club, group or community. Their goal is to show Europe and the participating artists a unique part of the Netherlands in the form of Dutch activities, traditions and hobbies.

Dutch people who would like to be part of the postcards with their club, group or community can apply here.

Using the Open Up theme as the backbone for the postcards, the organization wants to show the positive, connecting force of the Dutch community. Sietse Bakker, Executive Producer Event: "Dutch people often meet each other through hobbies, activities, traditions and communities. From street barbecues, carnival organizations and fraternities to football clubs, choirs and breakdance groups."

Each artist gets to experience their own unique piece of the Netherlands prior to the Eurovision Song Contest, by participating in a Dutch activity, tradition or hobby. This will form the basis of the videos - the so-called postcards - which, entirely in the tradition of the Contest, introduce the performances of the artists during the Semi-Finals and the Grand Final.

The exact look and feel of the postcards will remain secret for the time being. But the organization does give a hint: "This time we opt for a different interpretation than the often more tourist impressions presented by the Host Country during the Eurovision Song Contest," adds Sietse Bakker.

The postcards for the Eurovision Song Contest 2020 will be produced by IDTV and shooting will take place in March and April 2020.
https://eurovision.tv/story/eurovision-2020-postcards-concept-revealed

It seems a bit boring, tbh. Maybe they can throw in a little bit 'Oneness'. Wink

28 days later

LI
Lieuwe
Jon posted:

On 15 december there is a big Eurovision Party in Amsterdam (Ziggo Dome) and will be broadcasted on Dutch tv in the evening of January 1st. Edsilia Rombley host it together with Cornald Maas . These 'artists' come to perform:

Johnny Logan, Loreen, Katrina and the Waves, Ruslana, The Olsen Brothers, Dana International, Izhar Cohen, Dima Bilan, Sandra Kim, Nicole, Eimear Quinn, Anne Marie David, Emmelie de Forest, Ell & Nikki, Charlotte Perrelli, Teach-In, Linda Martin, Verka Serduchka, Netta Barzilai, Eleni Foureira.
And from this years Eurovision: Mahmood, Segey Lazarev, Keiino, Serhat.

Here you can watch the full show (from 11:02).

^
In this screen image you see Loreen. Shocked

Newer posts