TV Home Forum

TV Channel Closures

How did it happen? (December 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
Caly123
Not sure if this was posted before but this is the final broadcast of Disney Cinemagic here in the UK before Sky Cinema Disney took over:
VM
VMPhil
sda| posted:

I was just talking about this on Twitter recently. Despite there being only nine days between the initial announcement and the channel closing*, this was a really good farewell programme - the above is only a clip, the whole thing was a full half hour programme. It was a proper history of the channel, its successes and failures, and as you can see in the clip, they even got other journalists to talk about why it was closing.

*The channel was originally going to close after the new year, but it was decided to bring it forward so staff didn't have to work over Christmas on something that was closing anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLc5v9tDcA

Doing an 'archive audit' and found a capture of the programme, which I am sure is of interest to everyone here

Thanks. There's a couple of uploads of it already but it was nice to see the end of the last live programme again. The cameraman waving used to post here (ITNCameraman for anyone who remembers).

The channel DOG and clock disappears for a brief time during the programme. The picture glitches so I don't think it was on purpose, but it lets you see the original date and time of the footage (on video using the 2004 graphics).

Edit: Also, I don't know if anyone else recalls this, but I seem to remember there being a small breakdown on the last day of the channel, which meant an extended viewing of what I assume was the breakfiller? It was just the ITV News squares flying from left to right on the screen IIRC. I wish I'd taped these things!
Last edited by VMPhil on 7 December 2019 11:21pm
JB
JasonB
James Russel on Shop at Bid got cut off mid sale and replaced with a technical fault slide when the Administrators came in. No footage of this has appeared yet on youtube since the channels closed in 2014.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
James Russel on Shop at Bid got cut off mid sale and replaced with a technical fault slide when the Administrators came in. No footage of this has appeared yet on youtube since the channels closed in 2014.

I suspect nobody recorded it, in fairness there is next to nothing at all of the Shop at Bid era on YouTube, the bulk of the material that is there dates from the "classic" era (phone number top left) or from after the 2007 rebrand.

Wonder if there is a video archive of the entire Sit up output over 14 years or whatever it was sitting somewhere unloved? It probably won't have much resale value for obvious reasons but since the entire output of the channels would have had to have been recorded anyway in case somebody complained to Ofcom it may have the final day's output on it.. Although I suspect it was probably digital anyway and the server flogged, wiped and holding 60 days worth of somebody else's output...
JA
james-2001
I do remember the Shop At Bid closedown video being online at some point around the closure. Basically just cut with a glitch to the technical fault slide and that annoying music loop.
JB
JasonB
I do remember the Shop At Bid closedown video being online at some point around the closure. Basically just cut with a glitch to the technical fault slide and that annoying music loop.

Which stayed on Freeview for about a month! I don't recall seeing the closedown video myself at the time on YouTube. Was it quickly taken down?
RO
robertclark125
This is quite a lengthy video, but comes from 26 years ago, when Screensport finally closed, following the Eurosport takeover. Interestingly, one of the initial shareholders in Screensport was WH Smith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzVZqq70PmQ
GE
thegeek Founding member
This is quite a lengthy video, but comes from 26 years ago, when Screensport finally closed, following the Eurosport takeover. Interestingly, one of the initial shareholders in Screensport was WH Smith.

I've spotted at least one current colleague in that lengthy credit roll. (Makes me feel a bit less of an old codger!)
NW
nwtv2003

This also taken from a time when WHSmith TV’s other channel, Lifestyle had closed down. Whilst it was described as a merger effectively it was a Eurosport takeover as the Screensport frequency was relinquished as a result. This being not too long after Eurosport had to seek new owners as a result of Sky ditching its interest after it merged/bought BSB.
JA
JAS84
That always seemed odd to me. Did they ditch most of the stuff Screensport had the rights to show? There must've been cases where live coverage of a Eurosport event and a Screensport event would've clashed - after the merger, one of them would have had nowhere to go. And Sky Sports 2 launched a year later, so there was certainly enough demand for a third sports channel.
IN
Interceptor
JAS84 posted:
And Sky Sports 2 launched a year later, so there was certainly enough demand for a third sports channel.

Sure, once you've got Premiership football...
CB
ChipperBird
Here's the final moments of Setanta Sports news.

Gotta say the unique shows don't really sound like winners to me, but I could appreciate Setanta bringing in public fans rather than media pundits - even if it was just to save what little money they had.

Newer posts