The Gallery

GMB Technical Difficulties

Just wanted to make a mock breakdown / technical issues video for GMB (December 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
In my defence I didn't know where else I could've uploaded this to on this forum. Whilst it isn't 'my work', it's still something I've produced. The Gallery doesn't have to be entirely new designs - I thought.

Can I respectfully say this:
The Gallery is the right place for what you've done, but this sort of "mock" isn't really the sort of thing one needs to "mock", because there are breakdowns/technical difficulties (see the appreciation thread) and then there are "breakdowns/technical difficulties", as in "the entire lot's gone off, what do we do?". The gallery is primarily (but not exclusively) intended for things like rebrands, concepts and whatever else - basically slapping together text, images and colours to make something that looks nice on the telly.

At the end of the day what you've posted boils down to this: You've taken a GMB opening and edited it. Your "work" is adding the technical difficulties primarily by dipping in and out of the audio in favour of the bed and throwing to the breakdown slide, and starting the opening again. With the greatest of respect, if it was a genuine breakdown that's what would have happened anyway, so you're not actually mocking anything that we couldn't have seen anyway under the right circumstances. I think that's the main issue here.

Now if you'd mocked something like a breakdown on Dave (a breakdown during a live edition of Good Morning Dave for argument's sake) the GMB way, you could have put together a new breakdown slide, a mock announcement and then the chain of events of what followed in your video would have been a genuine mock, because Dave, like most of the UKTV network, runs pretty much off a playout system and doesn't employ live continuity and so when something packs up, somebody has to intervene and the only recourse is a slide.
SO
somber
some people are just miserable
NL
Ne1L C
Side query to Neil Jones. Have you ever done any mocks?
CA
Capybara

How is this being miserable? Neil's reply was respectful and very constructive criticism that can help not only Owen but any mocker in The Gallery. He has gone out of his way to write, in detail, the most helpful thing in this thread. While you? Not helpful at all; there's no need to call somebody miserable for helping out a beginner.

// edit: apologies to somber if you weren't responding to Neil, but I'll leave this post here for context
Last edited by Capybara on 6 December 2019 9:12pm
NJ

How is this being miserable? Neil's reply was respectful and very constructive criticism that can help not only Owen but any mocker in The Gallery. He has gone out of his way to write, in detail, the most helpful thing in this thread. While you? Not helpful at all; there's no need to call somebody miserable for helping out a beginner.

Somber's comment was probably not in response to mine, but probably a contribution on the previous page.

Okay, I'll bite. No is the answer to this question. Why do you ask?
Larry the Loafer and Capybara gave kudos
NL
Ne1L C

Somber's comment was probably not in response to mine, but probably a contribution on the previous page.

Okay, I'll bite. No is the answer to this question. Why do you ask?

Just curious that’s all.
NJ
If you click on somebody's profile on TV Forum and there's a link to "<somebody>'s gallery", they have posted in the Gallery. If there isn't a link then, um, they haven't.

Is the easiest way to tell.
NL
Ne1L C
Oh I know that I was just asking in general.
DO
dosxuk

Just because people haven't contributed mocks doesn't mean they don't or shouldn't have the ability to critique other users material.
Last edited by dosxuk on 8 December 2019 12:17pm
bilky asko and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
NL
Ne1L C
I had a feeling that you had some experience.
CA
Capybara

Just because people haven't contributed mocks doesn't mean they don't or shouldn't have the ability to critique other users material.

It's just like people who go on The X Factor and whinge about their performance being called rubbish by Simon Cowell, then say "I'd like to see you try and sing better than that. You can't say my act was rubbish when you can't even sing yourself."
LL
Larry the Loafer
You don't have to be a chef to know your food's undercooked.
Brekkie, dbl and DeeMartie gave kudos

Newer posts