TV Home Forum

TV Channel Closures

How did it happen? (December 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
Jacq
Rory posted:
Granada Plus went to a break during Pie in the Sky and never came back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUbyTNqKE9M

Poor Plus.

I think the end of TV channels is always interesting, but the way that Plus went was just horrible!

From a historical standpoint, it's one of the best channel closures. The most interesting ones to me are the abrupt closures.
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
Carlton Cinema:
IT
itvblocks

That ending montage. Crying or Very sad
GM
GMc
ITV News Channel
GM
GMc

What a lovely way to close a channel.
GM
GMc
ITV Sport Channel
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I have the last few hours of Shop! on VHS somewhere
RI
Richard
Strange how these channels pretty much ended with no fanfare. It not exactly how Thames Television did it, is it?
IT
itvblocks

Nice, clean ITV Sport Channel ident at the end.

(Edit: 7:06, did they really do that on purpose knowing that it was the last show?)

(Edit #2: Never mind, they did.)
Last edited by itvblocks on 5 December 2019 12:15am - 3 times in total
VM
VMPhil

I was just talking about this on Twitter recently. Despite there being only nine days between the initial announcement and the channel closing*, this was a really good farewell programme - the above is only a clip, the whole thing was a full half hour programme. It was a proper history of the channel, its successes and failures, and as you can see in the clip, they even got other journalists to talk about why it was closing.

*The channel was originally going to close after the new year, but it was decided to bring it forward so staff didn't have to work over Christmas on something that was closing anyway.
RI
Richard
I remember that towards the end, former Talk Radio presenter Scott Chisholm was announced as a morning presenter on the ITV News Channel. He actually started after the initial closure announcement was made.
BBI45, GMc and itvblocks gave kudos
VM
VMPhil
I remember that towards the end, former Talk Radio presenter Scott Chisholm was announced as a morning presenter on the ITV News Channel. He actually started after the initial closure announcement was made.

Yes, but for the prize of shortest-lived programme he was beaten by Andrew Harvey, who managed to present the first and last editions of his new weekend show in just two days!

Newer posts