The Newsroom

2019 General Christmas election.

12th December: NO drama just presentation. (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
Indeed, it’s also surprising that holders of portfolios in the Cabinet and their opposition equivalents have not been asked to debate on air, this time around, that would have opened many cans of worms, which some Would have wanted away from the viewing audiences . No need to name portfolios or personalities but some really would have been significantly challenged by such a confrontation.

If ever a Chancellor v Shadow Chancellor debate was needed then this was the time. Vastly different alternatives. Javid v McDonnell. It's a major failure of this election campaign and has sold the electorate very short. Not Javid's fault, as I think he was keen to do so but was blocked.

Infact there is a good case that not just the potential PM's but all four main offices of State should have TV debates;

Johnson v Corbyn (PM)
Javid v McDonnell (Chancellor)
Patel v Abbott (Home)
Raab v Thornberry (Foreign)

Don’t suggest more debates!

Of course the Lib Dem’s and SNP would not agree to those debates and would want their spokespeople involved.
TI
TIGHazard
More bias complaints as the BBC dropped Monday's Panorama documentary into Universal Credit.
CA
Cando
More bias complaints as the BBC dropped Monday's Panorama documentary into Universal Credit.

On reddit again?

There was a rearranged 1 hour edition of Panorama with Prince Andrew's accuser. Last week the same tin foil hat wearing loons accused the BBC of protecting Prince Andrew and burying the interview as it was recorded before Emily's with Prince Andrew. Make your mind up conspiracy theorists!
Last edited by Cando on 4 December 2019 9:09am
UK
UKnews
Cando posted:

On reddit again?

There was a rearranged 1 hour edition of Panorama with Prince Andrew's accuser. Last week the same tin foil hat wearing loons accused the BBC of protecting Prince Andrew and burying the interview as it was recorded before Emily's with Prince Andrew. Make your mind up conspiracy theorists!

Given the discussions I’m aware editorial colleagues have been having, anything around this story is being very carefully ‘legalled’. Quite possible the Panorama wasn’t ready or cleared (in a legal sense) until a few days ago.

Once the Prince Andrew Newsnight interview had been filmed - and had to be broadcast quickly to avoid leaks - they’ll have had to re-edit / update the Panorama programme, and then get that cleared by the lawyers again.
MO
Moz
What would happen if there was a major breaking news story during the election coverage? Something like a major terror attack somewhere else in the world, or indeed in Britain.

How would they cope?
BR
Brekkie
Moz posted:
What would happen if there was a major breaking news story during the election coverage? Something like a major terror attack somewhere else in the world, or indeed in Britain.

How would they cope?

Has BM11 hacked your account?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
There are plenty of options, either cover it in and amongst the election, split the News Channel off to cover it, have the News Channel simulcast World's coverage of it. I imagine they would play it by ear based on the circumstances.
MO
Moz
Moz posted:

How would they cope?

Has BM11 hacked your account?

Fair point! 🤣
JW
JamesWorldNews
Jeremy Corbyn is on mainstream television again, for yet another live interview! (Holly and Phil).

Boris Johnson is nowhere to be seen. Is he on there tomorrow?

Dammit! I’m always wrong!
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
George Osborne, Ed Balls & Ruth Davidson for ITV's election programme (amongst others)

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-george-osborne-and-ed-balls-return-alongside-tom-bradby-election-2019-results
BR
Brekkie
I do wish the broadcasters would go back to their own exit polls. I think it's more interesting having 2 or 3 different exit polls to evaluate rather than them all singing for the same hymn sheet.
CH
chris
I do wish the broadcasters would go back to their own exit polls. I think it's more interesting having 2 or 3 different exit polls to evaluate rather than them all singing for the same hymn sheet.

Three inaccurate over one accurate hardly feels like a good idea.
msim, bilky asko and UKnews gave kudos

Newer posts