TV Home Forum

BBC One Christmas 2019

Teaser revealed - cat on a Roomba (November 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TI
TIGHazard
On the official BBC One schedules page they have the BBC News at One on Christmas Day at 12.40 and BBC News at Ten at 11.35pm. Surely they did not have to have these titles, just BBC News would have been fine?

Because the Weekend News exists as a brand, it means using a generic BBC News brand for a handful of days a year, with all the issues that involves with making sure it has the correct rights for iPlayer and so on, or just keeping the same branding for the news bulletins on a weekday. Obviously they don't use it on air.

That actually brings me to a question I've had for ages, why doesn't Final Score end up on iPlayer.

I know it is very unlikely anyone would rewatch it, but usually the other two (Final Score NI and Sportscene Results) end up there.

Is it just the interviews with the Premier League managers stopping it?
PE
peterh
The squashed bulletin unlisted has been done before I think
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
JA
james-2001
Film of dictators being executed, that's exactly what you want to see on Christmas day.
IS
Inspector Sands
Yes that is the classic example of news on Christmas Day (along with the resignation of Gorbachov two years later).

However the execution footage didn't get released until the next day so it wasn't shown on Christmas Day itself, in fact news of their deaths wasn't broadcast till the evening.

The early evening BBC News at 5:30 had no mention of it happening

Here is the Channel 4 newsflash before Brookside, so presumably 7/8 o clock?

Here's the ITN News at 11pm and although their deaths is top story, its not shown on there either

According to this report the footage was shown on Romanian TV the morning after (and therefore presumably not seen elsewhere till then):

I think it's a case of The Mandela Effect, I remember it being shown on the news all day on Christmas Day, but it wasn't.
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 5 December 2019 7:34am - 5 times in total
WH
Whataday Founding member
I'm amazed viewers weren't warned before ITN aired that image of Ceausescu's dead body, straight after a family movie.
SP
Spencer
Film of dictators being executed, that's exactly what you want to see on Christmas day.

It’d be an improvement on Mrs Brown’s Boys.
JO
Joe
Look, it was just a tongue in cheek remark…
RO
Rofters
Small update to the #XmasLife trailer
JA
JAS84
How's this for a waste of license fee payers' money? Tree goes up outside Broadcasting House on November 30th, and it's been destroyed by contractors! Shocked
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50712509
NL
Ne1L C
Bloody Brexit!
CB
ChipperBird
The new idents are nice, though the Christmas film gives me mixed feelings. The song is fine, love the animal sleep in and the silly cat on the roomba +cuckoo (basically the animated segments are perfect) - but it's the Beeb trying too hard to be hip with the kids, which to be honest they did best with the 2017 Xmas ident package.

I mean remember that last years ident package focused mostly on the film, and the actual idents consisted of a fairly bland Christmas Tree, 3 versions of Cormer Pier, and a dodgems ident that made me think way too much of a certain ITV ident set.

I'm glad they've shifted priority to the actual idents this time, the cuckoo one is super fun and you can tell the animators enjoyed working with that idea.

I'm a little surprised they didn't put more effort into a news safe ident however - considering election and all, but I guess these would of been finished before that was officially announced.

Newer posts