The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JW
JamesWorldNews
Hang on a minute! These graphics look a bit familiar!

BB
BBI45
Hang on a minute! These graphics look a bit familiar!

IIRC, Deutsche Welle had them first.
SS
SuperSajuuk
Not sure why Shaun Ley's presenting tonight... he's heavily stumbling and pausing excessively in almost every sentence, and it's kinda difficult to listen to a news bulletin when you have so many pauses and stumbles like that, as you won't get the gist of the story.

Earlier on the News at Five, he had a large tongue tie over a sentence in the bottom of hour headlines, and just now while doing a live interview to a journalist, he took a long pause in the middle of the sentence to take breath... perhaps a bit of flu or something?

IMO, if presenters are feeling quite significantly under the weather, they shouldn't present the bulletins and instead delegate to someone else who is available, because it's just so hard to watch when you're seeing the presenter struggling with what seems to be more and more like a bout of flu live.
MA
Meridian AM
Not sure why Shaun Ley's presenting tonight... he's heavily stumbling and pausing excessively in almost every sentence, and it's kinda difficult to listen to a news bulletin when you have so many pauses and stumbles like that, as you won't get the gist of the story.

Earlier on the News at Five, he had a large tongue tie over a sentence in the bottom of hour headlines, and just now while doing a live interview to a journalist, he took a long pause in the middle of the sentence to take breath... perhaps a bit of flu or something?

IMO, if presenters are feeling quite significantly under the weather, they shouldn't present the bulletins and instead delegate to someone else who is available, because it's just so hard to watch when you're seeing the presenter struggling with what seems to be more and more like a bout of flu live.

Yes. I happened to have that channel on this afternoon and noticed he was stumbling and pausing during sentences.
I've never seen him before, as I normally prefer to watch Sky News and CNN. But this guy was awful this afternoon.
It is so distracting and makes the viewer feel uncomfortable and is awkward to watch.
WO
Worzel

Yes. I happened to have that channel on this afternoon and noticed he was stumbling and pausing during sentences.
I've never seen him before, as I normally prefer to watch Sky News and CNN. But this guy was awful this afternoon.
It is so distracting and makes the viewer feel uncomfortable and is awkward to watch.

Yes he does sound rather nasally.

Joanna Gosling presented a few years ago with virtually no voice which was also not ideal!
RN
Rolling News

Yes he does sound rather nasally.

Joanna Gosling presented a few years ago with virtually no voice which was also not ideal!

It seems to happen to Joanna quite frequently, like last week.
RN
Rolling News
Although it's happened to the best of them at some point or another ...

SS
SuperSajuuk

True, but having an out of the blue coughing fit is different to sounding like you have the flu for hours on end Razz
JL
JamesLaverty1925
See all the BBC One bulletins were presented by their "main" presenters today (Dan+Louise, Sophie, George and Huw), must be a while since that last happened.
BA
Batavia

True, but having an out of the blue coughing fit is different to sounding like you have the flu for hours on end Razz

Radio presenters have a “cough button”. Why don’t newsreaders have something similar?
RK
Rkolsen

Radio presenters have a “cough button”. Why don’t newsreaders have something similar?

Because they’d have to disrupt the video as well dropping audio. If it was just audio we’d still see presenter coughing and what not. I supposed they could have a audio/video dump button that’s normally used for language or stuff that’s not wanted to be seen.

If they had that and the presenter was having a fit there would be a lot of different camera angles or graphics popping up.
DE
deejay
If a presenter is clearly struggling with a frog in their throat and needs to cough, directors will try and get them out of vision as quickly as possible (into a VT or a clip or something) and ensure the mics are cut for them to clear their throat. Occasionally a presenter, if they’re out of vision but their mic is live (for example listening to an answer being given by a down the line contributor), might signal to camera to cut their mic. A hand being swiped across their throat is usually taken as a signal for this! This might be for a cough, but also might be so they can talk to the gallery or floor manager for some reason.

Newer posts