TV Home Forum

BBC One Christmas 2019

Teaser revealed - cat on a Roomba (November 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HC
Hatton Cross
Wicko posted:
I have no major criticism of the idents themselves, they are festive after all, and cheerier than last year's, but what's wrong with using an actual Christmas song as the soundtrack?

As the BBC have a bulk use PRS licence, it won't be because of licencing issues - although you'd think there would be a courtesy call made to that particular artiste to gain permission.

I suppose the feeling is that as you are being bombarded with old Christmas hits/festive tunes on the radio, advertising and as background musiac in every bloody high street chain store, having BBC One play them as part of the idents would be overload.
SP
Spencer
Moz posted:
Absolutely hate it. The music is just TERRIBLE. What has a gospel choir singing Gorillaz got to do with Christmas?

The gospel choir needs a trigger warning. I keep expecting them to start singing 'two-two-two-two-two-two-two'.
Josh and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
CA
Caly123
Moz posted:
Absolutely hate it. The music is just TERRIBLE. What has a gospel choir singing Gorillaz got to do with Christmas?

The gospel choir needs a trigger warning. I keep expecting them to start singing 'two-two-two-two-two-two-two'.

No, it should be 'one-one-one-one-one-one-one'.
AG
AxG
Moz posted:

No, it should be 'one-one-one-one-one-one-one'.

Save time and just use The One Show theme.
SH
Sh1ruba
Or maybe use a soundscape like BBC Two?
My idea if BBC One does get new idents is that their soundscape is more modern and fun, each ident's music starts with a nice guitar string motif and then segues into music that represents the theme of the ident.
What do you guys think of this idea?
ST
Stuart
At least we have a break from 'oneness' for a month, and perhaps for good. Thumbs up

I would have been happy for a static black and white caption saying 'Christmas on BBC One', if it meant we could escape those dreadful 'oneness'' idents.
PA
Parker
Anything is better than the rubbish of oneness - its nice to have something a bit uplifting. I think everyone agrees that BBC 1 needs a quality ident package to the standard of BBC2.
JF
JetixFann450
My idea if BBC One does get new idents is that their soundscape is more modern and fun, each ident's music starts with a nice guitar string motif and then segues into music that represents the theme of the ident.

Well BBC One always had a motif, from the 5-note balloon tune to the 12-note dancer piece up to the 3-note circle jingle which haunted many college dorms through iPlayer.

What could you even call Oneness' motif? The sea static? The zumba music? God forbid, the steel drums? I'm glad that the Chrismas music actually has some flair to it compared to the previous years of Oneness, even if it's hated by some.
JA
JAS84
It doesn't have a motif. There's nothing but background noise in the Oneness idents. The circles three note tune was still used on the 8pm news bulletins, they never updated it. Also, they haven't always had a motif. Before the balloons, BBC1's idents were always silent, despite BBC2 having audio on it's 1991 idents.
JO
Josh

Well BBC One always had a motif, from the 5-note balloon tune to the 12-note dancer piece up to the 3-note circle jingle which haunted many college dorms through iPlayer.

What could you even call Oneness' motif? The sea static? The zumba music? God forbid, the steel drums? I'm glad that the Chrismas music actually has some flair to it compared to the previous years of Oneness, even if it's hated by some.

Sentient breathing.
BR
Brekkie
Moz posted:
Absolutely hate it. The music is just TERRIBLE. What has a gospel choir singing Gorillaz got to do with Christmas? Also, I don't get the theme at all, nothing seems to link them. Only thing I like is the animation of ●ne into one. 1/10.

Merry Christmas πŸŽ…

1/10 incredibly harsh but agree on there being no strong link between them - the cat ident would make more sense in the set if it was an animated cat.
:-(
A former member
One note.. The idents have no patten.

Newer posts