TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Costa & Coop p68: Repeats on ITV3: Are there too many spoilers? (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
As I said earlier in the thread for all we know Granada Plus could have prepped the entire batch of 1994 episodes for transmission, so the edits could be ongoing for a while. Unlikely but a possibility.
CH
chris
I’m a bit late to this thread and haven’t been watching religiously due to work but how can you tell it’s a G+ edit?
JA
james-2001
chris posted:
I’m a bit late to this thread and haven’t been watching religiously due to work but how can you tell it’s a G+ edit?

The replaced endcap, as G+ used to add their own, and ITV3 use the pre-1992 Granada endcap to cover that up. Plus the episode's 1-2 minutes shorter than usual, and sometimes the edits are bad and obvious.
JA
JAS84
Yeah, GSkyB added this.

And ITV3 are covering it up with this design:

But the original would've been this one:

Is that right?

Image source is a Wayback Machine version of TV Ark:
http://web.archive.org/web/20161226061526/http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/itvnorthwest/granadatv/endboards.html
JA
james-2001
The second and third are correct, the GSB endcap is wrong though, that's the earlier pre-1998/99 design. This is the one that they were using when the ITV3 episodes were shown:

The first few G+ edits ITV3 showed, they left it in, then the next few they started blanking out the website address (as it now goes to one of those malware infested typosquatting sites), then they started replacing the endcap altogether.
JW
JamesWorldNews
I’m binge watching 1981 to ‘83 at the moment. (Don’t ask).

I’ve reached March ‘83. (Alf Roberts is laid-up with a sprained ankle after tripping over one of lodger Bet Lynch’s shoes; Ken and Deirdre are in Malta; Eddie Yeats has bought-out Stan’s window round; Phyllis is doing her damndest (sp?) to move-in with Chalkie.......)

Two episodes per week, but brilliantly crafted IMO. Not at all like the production-line we see these days.

Having said that, and by way of contradiction, I’m surprised how many mistakes and line-fluffs are left in and not corrected. Perhaps the producers of the day felt it added realism.

The boom mic has made an appearance on 3 of the last 4 episodes I’ve watched too!

Notwithstanding, it’s an enjoyable trip down memory lane and showcasing legendary characters (Hilda, Stan, Elsie, Bet, Len, Rita, Mavis, Albert) portrayed by rather excellent actors! I have to say, I’d forgotten just how splendid some of these actors were. And never given the credit deserved.
DA
davidhorman
Quote:
The boom mic has made an appearance on 3 of the last 4 episodes I’ve watched too!

Overscan ain't what it used to be.
SP
Spencer
Having said that, and by way of contradiction, I’m surprised how many mistakes and line-fluffs are left in and not corrected. Perhaps the producers of the day felt it added realism.

They did seem to be happy to leave more cock-ups in in the early days. Elsie Tanner getting whacked on the back of the head by the camera (and her reaction) here is pure Acorn Antiques...

WH
Whataday Founding member
The first few G+ edits ITV3 showed, they left it in, then the next few they started blanking out the website address (as it now goes to one of those malware infested typosquatting sites), then they started replacing the endcap altogether.

I wouldn't call Dan.com malware infested.
VM
VMPhil

I wouldn't call Dan.com malware infested.

It's probably a good idea to blur it out in case someone buys the domain and redirects it to a malware site though.
WH
Whataday Founding member

They did seem to be happy to leave more cock-ups in in the early days. Elsie Tanner getting whacked on the back of the head by the camera (and her reaction) here is pure Acorn Antiques...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahc_af7geW0

I bet the air was blue after that scene.
NB
NicB1971

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahc_af7geW0

I bet the air was blue after that scene.

Priceless Laughing Also look at Minnie Caldwell's face as she walks off set - smiling in the scene then dead miserable...fascinating!

Newer posts