The Newsroom

Incident on London Bridge

(November 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
I first found out about the attack after getting off a train at 2.20 (I was at London Bridge tube at 2pm unaware of the incident above ground) from LBC News, who in their first big test as a rolling news station stuck to the facts or eyewitness accounts from LBC listeners calling into the Shelagh Fogarty show, along with Global journalists at the scene. The presenter Jim Diamond was exemplary and still managed to squeeze in travel news every 10 mins.

Sky News on the other hand, when I got back in were over-speculating on what happened. I can't fault Sarah Hewson's delivery but it did improve when Jonathan Samuels started presenting from the scene.

On the main French 8pm bulletins, TF1 showed the shooting of the suspect as shown on social media uncut. BFMTV were rolling with the story until 5pm UK time when they returned to the normal domestic editorial agenda.
WO
Worzel
I first found out about the attack after getting off a train at 2.20 (I was at London Bridge tube at 2pm unaware of the incident above ground) from LBC News, who in their first big test as a rolling news station stuck to the facts or eyewitness accounts from LBC listeners calling into the Shelagh Fogarty show, along with Global journalists at the scene. The presenter Jim Diamond was exemplary and still managed to squeeze in travel news every 10 mins.

Sky News on the other hand, when I got back in were over-speculating on what happened. I can't fault Sarah Hewson's delivery but it did improve when Jonathan Samuels started presenting from the scene.

On the main French 8pm bulletins, TF1 showed the shooting of the suspect as shown on social media uncut. BFMTV were rolling with the story until 5pm UK time when they returned to the normal domestic editorial agenda.

The first news story/flash came down to radio stations from IRN (NET Newsroom) at 14:16.
BR
Brekkie
Did BBC1/ITV run any news reports after?
BK
bkman1990
There was also another stabbing incident tonight on a shopping district in The Hague. I don't know if it will be a good idea that the thread title here can be updated to include that incident as well so it can all be read within the one thread? TIA.
NE
Newsroom
I simply cannot fathom the editorial decisions made at the BBC. For the BBC News Channel to be showing 'World News Today' at 9pm with an assortment of coverage is not appropriate for a UK audience.

For heaven's sake - when situations like this happen - split at 9pm. News Channel from wherever do their thing with sole focus on the Breaking News... World - stick with Ross and his touchscreen or in tonight's instance Lewis Vaughn Jones....

Yes it winds me up. Apologies.
LL
talkRADIO started their coverage at 2.20. Matthew Wright was on-air during the time and is based in the News UK building next to London Bridge station.

https://talkradio.co.uk/radio/listen-again/1575032400#
RI
Richard
From listening back to 5 Live, there didn’t seem to be anything until the news bulletin at 2:30. Elis and John still chatted to Kermode & Mayo just before this to preview the film review but then Drive took over at 2:55 rather than the normal Friday start time of 5pm. The film review wasn’t broadcast but I think a podcast was made as normal.
DV
DVB Cornwall
The graphic video on Social Media has to be one of the starkest news items of the decade. I can't recall seeing anything similar taken in the UK and so 'freely' published. A massive takedown operation surely will be underway soon. The rebroadcast of it, or of substantive sections of it, this afternoon on news channels, here and abroad, too is astonishing. Editors I feel may well be totally bushwacked by the political maelstrom this year and off the boil, but surely the content was clear enough to have sounded alarm bells. It really shouldn't have made it to air, moreso at the time of broadcast. Easy enough to reflect after the event, but...
MO
Mouseboy33
Not sure who was on air at the SkyNews when the story first broke, but the halting and hesitating "dalek speaking" voice was distracting. And it seems to be a trend whenever there is a breaking story, no one can speak a full sentence or vamp when a breaking story happens. Sky used to be good a breaking news. That was a their bread and butter. No it seems they can get thru a full sentence any more. Geez.
MB
Media Box
Did BBC1/ITV run any news reports after?

ITV didn't, but Ranvir Singh was miked up in the studio ready to front a news flash. Didn't happen in the end. Don't know if the network decided against it?
BA
bilky asko
From listening back to 5 Live, there didn’t seem to be anything until the news bulletin at 2:30. Elis and John still chatted to Kermode & Mayo just before this to preview the film review but then Drive took over at 2:55 rather than the normal Friday start time of 5pm. The film review wasn’t broadcast but I think a podcast was made as normal.

Yes, it was mentioned multiple times that the Film Review would be on BBC Sounds.
LL
LBC News broke the story at 14.18. Went out of an interview with a guest, a sweeper and then started the coverage.

Go to 01.18.09 on Friday 29th November.

https://www.globalplayer.com/catchup/lbcnews/london/b8DPVZ4

Newer posts