« Topics
gottago2,903 posts since 26 Aug 2004
London London
I keep passing digital ads for this on the tube into work and I know it's probably not aimed at my age group but I just can't really see how this can be a success in the long term. They're naming shows like Law and Order UK and the recently axed Wild Bill as highlights. Everything seems to be stuff that is constantly repeated on Drama and ITV3 and the like and I'd have thought that that age range would rather just continue watching it on linear. With only a handful of original series a year that's unlikely to be enough to draw people onto the platform.

Also what's going on in the incredibly irritating TV ad where the guy is going "Bang. Bang. Bang." in time with the music? What is that from?
DVB Cornwall8,666 posts since 4 Dec 2003
Westcountry Spotlight
The prime marketing group would appear to be those new to streaming, with an affection to 'normal' television content, there'll be many in that grouping. The lack of certain platforms at launch will hit this aim.

I suspect that BT YouView will announce a no additional cost incorporation into it's base layer in the new year along with it's relaunch. There's a lot of content that's duplicated with SKY's NOW TV pass and I can see these offerings transferring on BTTV to that access route, the channels being removed from BTTV's base offering. Substituting BritBox would be a suitable and effective offering in their places.

I'm still bemoaning the lack of significant quality documentary from BBC FOUR (ie those produced in OU partnership) though.

We'll see.
London Lite10,886 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
Once the majority of the core BBC/ITV content is removed from Netflix, then we may see Britbox becoming a more viable proposition, but despite the lack of devices supported, I'm still enjoying what they have to offer.
thegeek5,109 posts since 1 Jan 2002
London London

I was at a sports industry conference a couple of weeks ago (to see what could be picked up / applied for news). One of the panels was a ‘state of the industry’ discussion with executives from BT Sport, DAZN and Eurosport. Streaming at 50p was mentioned by the COO of BT Sport (and I think the VP of broadcast and tech for DAZN) as one of the improvements that could be made that immediately delivered a benefit to all customers. So Eurosport and Britbox need to sort that out!

I somehow managed to miss that event, despite the subject matter and location.
The vast majority of sports content in Europe is still distributed as 1080i25, but for native UHD productions, 1080p50 is pretty trivial (and I think might already be happening)
noggin14,646 posts since 26 Jun 2001

I was at a sports industry conference a couple of weeks ago (to see what could be picked up / applied for news). One of the panels was a ‘state of the industry’ discussion with executives from BT Sport, DAZN and Eurosport. Streaming at 50p was mentioned by the COO of BT Sport (and I think the VP of broadcast and tech for DAZN) as one of the improvements that could be made that immediately delivered a benefit to all customers. So Eurosport and Britbox need to sort that out!

I somehow managed to miss that event, despite the subject matter and location.
The vast majority of sports content in Europe is still distributed as 1080i25, but for native UHD productions, 1080p50 is pretty trivial (and I think might already be happening)

To be honest - most 1080p50 sports streaming is using 1080i25 sources. Deinterlacing to 1080p50 rather than 1080p25 is a hugely better route to go down for sport, as you retain the 50Hz image rate and full temporal resolution.

1080p50 is entirely possible in many OB trucks (either those designed for 2160p50, or the last generation of HD trucks - though the former are probably a better choice) However as most international rights feeds are either 1080i25 or 2160p50 those are the likely source formats.

I know some eSports events are shot at 1080p50 or 1080p59.94 for live streaming - to avoid the judder of p25 or p29.97 - so it is happening.

Let's face it - the sooner we get rid of interlace and move to full frame rate progressive the better...